Bottom Three in Championship

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Tough Easter for Wigan

Middlesbrough Away
Derby Home

Then the 6 pointer v Fulham the following weekend.

At 89 minutes they needed five miracles. Then they got an equaliser (Waghorn, good goal) and Rotherham threw away three points.

Down to three miracles now. Beat Boro and Derby and Rotherham lose their next two and they will be in with a sporting chance.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Since Sami left we've shown comfortable midtable form. I honestly think Hughton is already focusing on next season and rightly so. After today I'm no longer worried about relegation. If it isn't WIgan it will be Rotherham.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Since Sami left we've shown comfortable midtable form. .

Pushing for play off form.

Under Hyypia we had a rather miserable 19 points from 22 games.
LLWWDLLDDDDLDDLWDDLLLD
Under Hughton/Jones we've won 26 points from 17 league games.
DWWLWLLDDWWLWLDDW
Hyypia works out at about 39 points over a 46 game season which would have been us in the bottom 3.
Hughton/Jones would leave us with 70 points over a 46 game season. Nearly enough for top 6 most seasons (but not this one!)

with mostly the same players...

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011

LLWWDLLDDDDLDDLWDDLLLD
DWWLWLLDDWWLWLDDW
Hyypia works out at about 39 points over a 46 game season which would have been us in the bottom 3.
Hughton/Jones would leave us with 70 points over a 46 game season. Nearly enough for top 6 most seasons (but not this one!)

About sums things up nicely. And CH has in the main had to achieve this with a squad not of his making.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

LLWWDLLDDDDLDDLWDDLLLD
DWWLWLLDDWWLWLDDW

In other words CH is doing about the same as OG last season and CH does not have the 3 or 4 top quality players that OG had.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Tough Easter for Wigan

Middlesbrough Away
Derby Home

Then the 6 pointer v Fulham the following weekend.

Wigan might fancy something from the Derby game. Derby are in terrible form at the moment. No wins in March and they've only picked up 2 points in their last 6 games, plus they've lost to Fulham and us away from home in that run. If Wigan win that one and Rotherham, who will be on a real down after throwing away an important 3 points against Wednesday, don't pick anything up from the games against us and Birmingham than it's not over by a long shot for Wigan. The only thing that might help Derby is the international break, a chance for the squad to regroup and sort themselves out as they are in real danger of losing out on a play off spot if this form continues.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

LLWWDLLDDDDLDDLWDDLLLD
DWWLWLLDDWWLWLDDW

Hughton has benefited from having Stephens back and signing Kayal. There was a sense before Hyypia left that the club were fully aware they had let him down with player recruitment and were prepared to rectify this in the January window. I believe we would have improved because of this (and Stephens returning) if Hyypia had stayed. I don't know if it would have been as dramatic an improvement as we have had under Hughton, but I think we would have been safe.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Hughton has benefited from having Stephens back and signing Kayal. There was a sense before Hyypia left that the club were fully aware they had let him down with player recruitment and were prepared to rectify this in the January window. I believe we would have improved because of this (and Stephens returning) if Hyypia had stayed. I don't know if it would have been as dramatic an improvement as we have had under Hughton, but I think we would have been safe.

They might have been safe under SH but that would be down to 3 teams being even worse. 6 pointer home losses to Millwall and Fulham etc did it for SH.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Hughton has benefited from having Stephens back and signing Kayal. .

Yep. Kayal has transformed the midfield. Stephens, whilst increasingly influential, has only been a small part of the post Hyypia improvement. Only played his first 90 minutes last week.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yep. Kayal has transformed the midfield. Stephens, whilst increasingly influential, has only been a small part of the post Hyypia improvement. Only played his first 90 minutes last week.

He has played almost half of the games (in actual time on the pitch) since returning. He has now played 3 x 90+mins in the last week. Every time he has been in the match day squad he has been used in the game. Hughton himself has talked of Stephens' importance to the team.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He has played almost half of the games (in actual time on the pitch) since returning. He has now played 3 x 90+mins in the last week. Every time he has been in the match day squad he has been used in the game. Hughton himself has talked of Stephens' importance to the team.

Stephens himself must be so pleased to be back playing football and lasting 90 mins ..when he first arrived last season it took him a while to settle in but he became an important member of the team.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Wigan might fancy something from the Derby game. Derby are in terrible form at the moment. No wins in March and they've only picked up 2 points in their last 6 games, plus they've lost to Fulham and us away from home in that run. If Wigan win that one and Rotherham, who will be on a real down after throwing away an important 3 points against Wednesday, don't pick anything up from the games against us and Birmingham than it's not over by a long shot for Wigan. The only thing that might help Derby is the international break, a chance for the squad to regroup and sort themselves out as they are in real danger of losing out on a play off spot if this form continues.

Doesn't this remind you of a couple of years back....... team that were top of the league suddenly lose form and are in danger of missing out on even the playoffs. They get back on track in the last game and then beat the higher placed team in the semis and scrape home in the final. It couldn't happen again could it?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Doesn't this remind you of a couple of years back....... team that were top of the league suddenly lose form and are in danger of missing out on even the playoffs. They get back on track in the last game and then beat the higher placed team in the semis and scrape home in the final. It couldn't happen again could it?
Yep. If I had to bet on winners of playoffs I would say Derby

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stephens will form the base of a succesful team with Kayal next seeason, not sure whether Crots will come back as he was as this is his 2nd serious injury but we can hope

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Not so sure.
Derby were very good against us and lost. I watched them against Wolves on Friday night and they dominated Wolves and looked good.. I think they will beat Wigan as i don't believe they can go on outplaying teams and not scoring. They certainly miss Chris Martin though.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not so sure.
Derby were very good against us and lost. I watched them against Wolves on Friday night and they dominated Wolves and looked good.. I think they will beat Wigan as i don't believe they can go on outplaying teams and not scoring. They certainly miss Chris Martin though.

Not to mention that Wolves are significantly better than Wigan, and so are we at home.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We might find out that Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford are all better than Derby.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Every game Wigan have left to play is against a side who will need to win, unless you consider us safe already.

1awigan.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here