Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bolton Wanderers a club in crisis without a clue

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Getting rid of Coyle showed zero commitment to a guy who has been successful with them. Now Mick McArthy is favourite to land the job. Jeez, the mind boggles. Club in financial stuuck and nearly bankrupt both commercially and thinking wise.

TNBA

TTF

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
Yep I have a lot of time for coyle and think they should have stuck with him

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
People give Coyle a very easy ride IMO. Bolton tailed off after a great start in 2010-11 and were really pretty dire last season. They were unlucky with a few injuries but Coyle has to take the blame for their relegation. Whether they have been a bit hasty with his sacking is debatable; whilst it is still early in the season, a good start makes a promotion campaign a lot easier. Say what you want about McCarthy but he is experienced in getting teams into the Premiership.

Coyle is ultimately a likeable and media-friendly character. Amazing where that gets you these days.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Getting rid of Coyle showed zero commitment to a guy who has been successful with them. Now Mick McArthy is favourite to land the job. Jeez, the mind boggles. Club in financial stuuck and nearly bankrupt both commercially and thinking wise.

TNBA

TTF

Yeah, he's done a great job there. Which is why they're struggling in the Championship having been established in the Premier League for a decade. The reality is he has done a terrible job there. First season went well, but since then they've barely won at home and have been worse than woeful away. Some of the signings have been laughable, letting Al-Habsi go and then not playing Jaaskelainen when he was fit last season in favour of Adam Bogdan shows an amazing lack of ability when it comes to spotting good players. David Ngog has been utterly terrible for them as well and you can go through the Coyle signings and most of them are pretty poor signings.

I like Owen Coyle, but the job he did there is absolutely shocking and the sack was long overdue.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mick McCarthy is a good choice to take over as he has proved that he can get a team promoted from this division. Not sure that he could work with Gartside who appears to have an enormous self importance ego.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If they are note careful I can see them being the next Coventry - or worse.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Mick McCarthy is up there with mark Hughes as a total cock. Just saying.

Couldn't agree more. How do these guys get job after job after job? Amazes me. Hughes has had a fortune to spend (nice way of saying waste) and look what he has put together? Near total sh!te. I say near total because for all the dross at QPR they have that little diamond geezer Lord Robert Zamora.

Makes you really appreciate the quality that is Gus Poyet.

TNBA

TTF

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This is great for the Albion, as was Blackburn sacking Kean. Getting out the Championship is an incredibly hard achievement and the money men in relegated Prem clubs are shatting themselves about not bouncing back first season. Luckily we have Tony & Gus, they are taking a longer term view on this. I believe Gus should get at least 4 years to crack the Prem and we shouldn't throw money at dangerous marquee signings to get there, I'm more than happy at the top end of the Championship at present. Let's hope more good managers are turfed out of Prem seeking Championship clubs whilst Gus continues to build a squad and a club that will survive for more than one season when we finally get to the promised land. GO GUS!

Last edited:

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Coyle was manning a sinking ship. I heard an interview with him on SSN earlier. Seemed to be an endless list of excuses for Bolton's recent failings under his leadership. I'm surprised at their poor start. With the likes of Kevin Davies and Chris Eagles in their line-up i thought they'd be at the business end of the table.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Coyle was manning a sinking ship. I heard an interview with him on SSN earlier. Seemed to be an endless list of excuses for Bolton's recent failings under his leadership. I'm surprised at their poor start. With the likes of Kevin Davies and Chris Eagles in their line-up i thought they'd be at the business end of the table.

Their shape is all wrong. If you've had the mispleasure of watching them, they're completely fractured. They maintain no control over games and their defence is massively overworked and underprotected. Coyle liked his Burnley team to play posession stuff but it hasn't worked this season or last at Bolton. He has done a bad job there, simple as that for me. The board kept him longer than I would have. The failings there are, for me atleast, pretty obvious.

Adam Bogdan OUT.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I'm pleased that they are struggling.

If only because of 'let's have no relegation from the premier league' Gartside.

bet he doesn't vote for that now. Twat.

Having just listened to the Danny Baker podcast with Mick McCarthy from a few weeks ago it sounds like he's in no rush to apply for any jobs outside the Premier League. Doesn't entirely rule him out of course, but he seems quite content to wait for the right oppurtunity.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Having just listened to the Danny Baker podcast with Mick McCarthy from a few weeks ago it sounds like he's in no rush to apply for any jobs outside the Premier League. Doesn't entirely rule him out of course, but he seems quite content to wait for the right oppurtunity.

Why would they hire him? Why would ANY club? Would be a short term appointment at best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here