Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Big signing to replace Murray?

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Gus obviously didn`t fancy Murray for the Championship,which i personally find hard to take given the season he has had for us.He has been Superb for us this season,his all round game has massively improved under Gus and i think the next level would have suited his game.A great team player for us and a little bit unappreciated by a lot of 'fans'.I just hope Gus is able to replace a very important part of last years success and at what price[£1-2m was Poyets valuation of him around Xmas 2010]. I am personally gutted he has gone without the further kick of him going to a 2 bob going nowhere set up

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Poyet will buy 2 more class strikers, defenders, goalie, winger.

Regarding Murray's final destination - nothing is yet decided:

Croydon Advertiser:
"DOUGIE Freedman admits he would love to bring Brighton & Hove Albion striker Glenn Murray to Selhurst Park but knows he faces fierce competition for the striker's services.
Murray, 27, scored 20 goals for the Seagulls to help them lift the League One crown.
But his current contract expires at the end of the month and he appears certain to leave Gus Poyet's team for a new challenge.
Millwall and Southampton are also both firmly in the hunt but Freedman has not given up hope of bringing Murray to south London.
"We are interested," he said. "He is a good player and someone I feel would improve us as a team.
"He is on a Bosman and that's the kind of market we are working in.
"I would like him to come here but I know there are other teams in for him as well. Millwall and Southampton are also certainly interested."
Freedman denied rumours that emerged on the internet earlier this week that Murray had undergone a medical at the Eagles' Beckenham training ground on Monday. But the Palace manager did concede he had spoken to the striker and his representatives.

"He knows we are interested," said Freedman. "But I think we might be somewhere down the pecking order."

Murray is believed to be after wages in the region of £10,000 per week, a figure Freedman would struggle to match.

Both Southampton and Millwall would be better placed to reach the Brighton star's requests.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I don't understand people assuming that Gus does not rate Murray. He supposedly offered him £8K a week, which is presumably what he thinks he is worth. Murray reckons he can do better elsewhere so he has left. It doesn't mean that Gus does not rate him but the £10K a week Murray supposedly is a lot for a player who will be playing in the Championship for the first time at the age of 28.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
In my understanding, GM, if he moves on, will be entitled to a signing on fee which would be not insubstantial so, at 27, I can truly understand M's motives in looking for a new club. Given that he would (in my understanding which may very well be flawed) have that to look forward to, in addition to a larger salary contract, he would have a large sum to put towards his retirement so I suppose, from his point of view, it is perhaps a no brainer.

Last edited:

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
In my understanding, GM, if he moves on, will be entitled to a signing on fee which would be not unsubstantial so, at 27, I can truly understand M's motives in looking for a new club. Given that he would (in my understanding which may very well be flawed) have that to look forward to, in addition to a larger salary contract, he would have a large sum to put towards his retirement so I suppose, from his point of view, it is perhaps a no brainer.

In monetary terms you are quite right. His agent and him would insist on an extremely large signing-on-fee, knowing the transfer fee paid was zero.
He would insist on this too whether negotiating to stay at BHAFC, or joining another club.

These days, the agent too would demand a large finders fee direct from the acquiring club. These in aggregate terms by clubs are publicised each year, and they are now mega.

So the cash outflows for CPFC or others in signing him would be:
- A large salary by Championship standards + 13.8% employers national insurance.
- Large signing-on fee + 13.8% employers national insurance.
- Large fee to his agent.

You can see the risks for Freedman and his Board, in signing the near-28 year old.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Ooooh another Murray thread

Marvelous, isn't it? :yahoo:

I'm bloody glad I haven't got a big night planned tbh, 'cos I can't get enough of these threads about that peculiar ex-Albion Northerner. Has he gone off to become a full-time Whippet breeder or summit??

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Gus obviously didn`t fancy Murray for the Championship,which i personally find hard to take given the season he has had for us.He has been Superb for us this season,his all round game has massively improved under Gus and i think the next level would have suited his game.A great team player for us and a little bit unappreciated by a lot of 'fans'.I just hope Gus is able to replace a very important part of last years success and at what price[£1-2m was Poyets valuation of him around Xmas 2010]. I am personally gutted he has gone without the further kick of him going to a 2 bob going nowhere set up

All very true

HOWEVER, AND I HOPE GLENN MURRAY READS THIS.

HE IS A FAR BETTER PLAYER FOR PLAYING UNDER GUS THAN HE WAS BEFORE.
THERE IS NO GUARANTEE HE WILL MAINTAIN THIS IMPROVEMENT UNDER ANY OTHER MANAGER.
HE SHOULD EAT SOME HUMBLE PIE AND STAY.

WE WOULD STILL LOVE HIM, ALL OF US MAKE MISTAKES WE REGRET LATER.

TNBA

TTF

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

I wonder how much this has played in his decision not to sign a new contract for us?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I don't understand people assuming that Gus does not rate Murray.

It's not an assumption on my behalf, he comes from a reaction he gave at a fans club meeting, long before the end of the season.

So much goes on behind the scenes that we aren't party to, but I think we can read volumes into the fact that the club has a replacement lined up straight away.

On the basis of the above I'm not in the least bit surprised the club hasn't broken the bank to keep his services. I suspect so much effort was spent to get him to perform, that they felt that (for a better return) they would be happy to look at alternative options.

He's finally done what he's been threatening to do since he came here and f****d off.

As far I'm concerned it's Glenn who ?

Last edited:

May 22, 2008
Lualua agent was in Spain 2 weeks ago with the team.
But sounds like TB is watching the money. No deal was done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here