Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Big cat sightings in Sussex

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
On the radio a couple of years back they said Sussex has the second highest number of trees per county in England. Difficult to prove with the East/West split, but more wooded than you would imagine.

Pretty much this, the bulk of the population in Sussex lives along the coastal strip or in a narrow corridor straddling the London-Brighton railway (Hassocks/Hurstpierpoint, Burgess Hill, Haywards Heath, Crawley) outside this much of the county is very rural. West of the Adur towards the Hampshire border the Downs become very wooded and have very few settlements. The High Weald in East Sussex has a very few large settlements, the most populous being Crowborough.

If you take yourself off the minor roads and busy footpaths and walk for three or four hours you rarely encounter anybody.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I once saw Peter Bonetti in Lancing.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
About 10yrs ago, I used to keep and breed monkeys, mainly marmosets.
I bought a capuchin monkey and things got very political with druisillas, monkey world and local council and press getting involved. All due to needing a DWA (dangerous wild animal license)
I recieved a few letters in the post from people giving me their support.
One letter stood out, was from a lady in Rutland road in hove. She had a black panther, at home and kept caged up in the garden. She'd had it since the early 70s.
Now, it's possible since the DWA laws came in in 1975 I believe, that she may have been told to hand it over to captivity or similar. I just wonder whether she decided to let it loose rather than risk it being put to sleep, worst case scenario.
So yes, it's possible

I know exactly how she felt. I released my mother-in-law for the very same reason :lolol:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There is a definite link between sightings and the strength of local beers and ciders.

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here