Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Weapon for home self defence

PriapismBoy

Apr 18, 2011
Durrington
Was having a discussion at work regarding about what weapons we keep in our room for self defence against break ins.

What’s the most popular?

Mines a Golf club but would prefer a Baseball bat.

EDITED

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I have never understood the need. We had this discussion at my office and, as it turns out, I am the only person that doesn't keep an object to 'defend' property.

Also, on a bit of a tangent to the original discussion if a baseball bat or golf club is being kept for the sole purpose of defending ones property, isn't it actually a weapon?

Last edited:

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I tend to go with bad breath and colourful language. I must point out I would be naked at the time, and if it is when I am having a happy sleep, there is a fair chance of them seeing morning glory from me as well. Hopefully that will be enough for them to flee.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This is an interesting concept.

How many people on here have ever actually had to defend their home from an intruder?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Cricket bat. But I do play cricket with it at weekends. So not a weapon as such....

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
This is something that has cropped up from time to time in my office too. As far as I am aware, if you keep a baseball bat or similar by the side of the bed for the sole purpose of battering an intruder and, in the unlikely event of someone entering, actually use it, you could be prosecuted. You are only allowed to use "reasonable force" to defend yourself/others.
If you have a bit of kit like a maglite torch (4xC cell version is good) that had a legitimate household use and give a burglar's head a bit of a dent with it in a struggle, then you're far less likely to be in trouble.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
On the more rational side, the chances of this actually happening to you are miniscule, and the fear of it is generally significantly disportionate to the actual risk.

Don't have nightmares.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
2 Boxer dogs for me, no one will get past them they are built like machines.

You'd think.

There was a programme on daytime TV once, presented by that bald guy with no neck. The basic premise was that they'd rig a house up with cameras, and the family would lock it up as they would normally, then go out and watch it on CCTV with the presenter. Then a reformed burglar would try to break in to test their security.

The one I saw, the family had what they thought was pretty watertight security and locks, but the bloke easily broke through them and got inside, to their mild surprise. "Never mind", said the man of the house, "He won't get past Fido" (or whatever the big dog was called).

Imagine their horror when, not only did the dog not bark or raise merry hell with the intruder, but sat happily wagging his tail while the bloke stroked him, then allowed him to attach a lead to his collar and walked out the house with him.
:facepalm:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
This is an interesting concept.

How many people on here have ever actually had to defend their home from an intruder?

i caught a guy in my house about 3 in the morning many moons ago,well when i say caught he was at the bottom of the stairs and i was at the top,he bolted and i chased him up the road until i realised i didnt have a stitch on......i now keep a hefty stick close to hand.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
You'd think.

There was a programme on daytime TV once, presented by that bald guy with no neck. The basic premise was that they'd rig a house up with cameras, and the family would lock it up as they would normally, then go out and watch it on CCTV with the presenter. Then a reformed burglar would try to break in to test their security.

The one I saw, the family had what they thought was pretty watertight security and locks, but the bloke easily broke through them and got inside, to their mild surprise. "Never mind", said the man of the house, "He won't get past Fido" (or whatever the big dog was called).

Imagine their horror when, not only did the dog not bark or raise merry hell with the intruder, but sat happily wagging his tail while the bloke stroked him, then allowed him to attach a lead to his collar and walked out the house with him.
:facepalm:

yhp I now what tv show your on about I think I saw this episode, hes called dominic littlewood I believe ;)

Don Logan

Banned
Feb 21, 2012
The Logan household is well protected from intruders.

#1 Clarence the pit bull terrier. Clarence has been trained by the best in the business to target genitals if confronted.

#2 \'Ornamental\' Samurai sword. Purchased from a market stall in Benidorm, clearly a fake but sharper than Jack Dee\'s witt. Supposedly for show but would be groped off the wall and cutting through bone in no time should any numpty make it past Clarence.

#3 The shooter.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I just go ta bed with my fists cos i'm a fackin geezer, any mug tries to av a pop at my faamily they'll cop it the caaaants.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here