Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Anti-virus?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
If you're going to pay - Kapersky is what I consider to be the best out there. Not only does it offer virus protection it'll also let you know about threats in any applications you have installed - so keeping everything tip-top. For £2 a month it's very good value and they're really pushing to get more of the corporate market - so they HAVE to be good.

I was working at a large NHS trust that uses Kapersky recently, the chucked out McAfee for it (a wise move IMHO).

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Getting a new PC and need to chuck on an anti virus,i know there are some free ones you can download but i dont mind paying for one.I know some slow your machine down as well.Can anyone recommend a decent one?
Many thanks.

NEVER pay for this stuff - Mcaffee etc are put on your system from the start to encourage you to buy when the trial period is over, but when you're a private user then AVG free is perfect. I also use Spyware Doctor - got it from Google gadgets.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
NEVER pay for this stuff - Mcaffee etc are put on your system from the start to encourage you to buy when the trial period is over, but when you're a private user then AVG free is perfect. I also use Spyware Doctor - got it from Google gadgets.

As I said earlier AVG is not fool proof. The free version is just Anti Virus, it has no Firewall or Anti Spyware hence things get past it, I know this from very recent personal experience. Normally it's okay but it's not foolproof by any means.

That may be why NO corporates use it.

Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2006
Hailsham
Ignore anyone who says Norton.

AVG, AntiVir both good.

Windows Defender might be worth it too.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Spybot and Spyware Blaster are both free and seem to do a job.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Spybot and Spyware Blaster are both free and seem to do a job.

Both Anti Spyware not AV. AS I keep saying free AVG and Avast are just AV, no firewall or antispyware, can't understand why people are loathe to buy a decent Iternet Security Package. However McAfee is a waste of time and money. Repeatedly I have seen it fail on both home and work machines and I have never trusted it since I first saw it die (before they took over Dr Solomon's) some 15 years ago.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
AVG and Spybot here, and NEVER had a single problem.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As I said earlier AVG is not fool proof. The free version is just Anti Virus, it has no Firewall or Anti Spyware hence things get past it, I know this from very recent personal experience. Normally it's okay but it's not foolproof by any means.

That may be why NO corporates use it.

Sorry, that's nonsense. I work for a multinational company and we use AVG - there is an enterprise version - ihttp://www.avg.com/business-security - in fact, we gave it an award a couple of years ago.

I think Kaspersky's best for the home user, those guys really know their stuff. But I see little wrong with AVG, it's true that it has no firewall but AVG and Zone Alarm is a nifty, and free, combo.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It's useful in this kind of thread if you can preface your comment with some context. I'm delighted to listen to anyone's "imho" but is is a layman's opinion or do you have some expertise. bhaexpress has at least stated why his/her views might have some substance.

Not knocking anyone for replying - just asking for some contxt.

My two pennies worth - as a layman - I have Norton and it is shit. No end of trouble. God knows why I bought it. Will be trying Kapersky based on reviews on here.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I see little wrong with AVG, it's true that it has no firewall but AVG and Zone Alarm is a nifty, and free, combo.

Maybe the point is that some people may thing they are "sorted" if they have AVG (which sounds like a good anti-virus package) whereas bhaexpress is pointing out that you should also have a firewall and anti-spyware which some people may assume are all part and parcel of the same thing?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here