Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bergkamp and ?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
As has been mention several times but people seem to choose not to believe it, Bergkamp was only seen as a player with potential by Gus when he signed - never intended as a first team player this year, which is why he's still talking about strikers consistently.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Bergkamp has been signed with the intent of converting him into a footballer who can play "our" way. Baz and Battipiedi came on board last season as they obviously showed some talent but Gus decided not to give them another annual bus pass.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Sampayo and Rogers (and East and Branco for that matter) were here before Stephenson in that they trialled with us and went back to their parent clubs before coming here on a DS contract. Even Tom Pett who scored for the reserves on Wednesday is on his second trial spell from Potters Bar. We seem to be very careful at that level in the way we test players and Gus is definitely involved.

The only signing apart from Bergkamp who could be said to be a Stephenson signing is Buckley.

If a player is good enough or has the potential to contribute to the club I don't think Gus would hold them back regardless of who signed them so it's in young Bergkamp's hands how well he does. I reckon that, based on his career progression so far, he will make the grade but there's no reason to expect an immediate impact and no need to write him off anytime soon.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
That's just a list of all available, fit and registered players. Sorry rookie but i don't take that as an indication that he is 'in favour'. Just my opinion tho'.

Nope because only one of the development squad (barker) is in there - if it was all fit players then Caskey (like he was earlier in season), Rodgers etc would be in it

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Nope because only one of the development squad (barker) is in there - if it was all fit players then Caskey (like he was earlier in season), Rodgers etc would be in it

My second thought would that it is DS who didn't play Wednesday but then Barker is in there who did play. For the second time today i am confused.

SuperJP20

Jun 9, 2011
Not at all. It was on BBC Sussex .. during the Sunderland transmission .. as I say I only caught the back end of it but they didn't sound like they were speculating .. that's not to say they weren't but .......

Yes I heard it also, they were talking about bergkamp and adgestein.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Not at all. It was on BBC Sussex .. during the Sunderland transmission .. as I say I only caught the back end of it but they didn't sound like they were speculating .. that's not to say they weren't but .......

I also heard that too.

I'm sure i heard them say it was a strong rumour.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Sampayo and Rogers (and East and Branco for that matter) were here before Stephenson in that they trialled with us and went back to their parent clubs before coming here on a DS contract. Even Tom Pett who scored for the reserves on Wednesday is on his second trial spell from Potters Bar. We seem to be very careful at that level in the way we test players and Gus is definitely involved.

The only signing apart from Bergkamp who could be said to be a Stephenson signing is Buckley.

If a player is good enough or has the potential to contribute to the club I don't think Gus would hold them back regardless of who signed them so it's in young Bergkamp's hands how well he does. I reckon that, based on his career progression so far, he will make the grade but there's no reason to expect an immediate impact and no need to write him off anytime soon.

No chance it would be Buckley who cost 1 million. Besides Gus admitted he watched Buckley a few times.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I remember hearing that, it was Torb they were talking about. They suggested both he and Bergkamp were not Gus signings.

Pretty sure they are wrong about Torb.

BASINGSTOKESEAGULL

Jul 26, 2010
Haven't we signed him only on a year contract though? He won't be too impressed if we don't play him, think this could be a bit of a waste if we don't play him.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I remember Gus saying that Toby was not a League 1 player but that he was a Championship type player. Perhaps he just hasn't done quite as well in training as previous - I'm disappointed not to have seen him yet but . . .it IS only August with 8 months and over 40 games to go !!
If Gus feels he'll do OK he'll play - have no fear about that.
Poyet is a perfectionist and Agdestein, Bergkamp, Caskey etc won't be picked until he is 100% certain that they'll do well
As we used to say under a previous regime - keep the faith :albion2:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I think it's just a waste of our wage budget tbh.
:facepalm: Believe me, we are not even close to maxing out on our wage budget.

I'm quite sure a development player isn't going to make any difference to it. We could sign a hundred Berkamps, and still not make a dent to it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here