Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Beating your opponent 1-0 or 5-0?

Winning 1-0 or 5-0, what do your prefer?

• Total voters

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
You shouldn't of done that.
IMG_3952.jpeg

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
To me the 1-0 takes it.

Spending 90 minutes nervous and excited and then getting away with it just satures me better than a 5-0 walk in the park win, which may be funnier and more entertaining but could never provide the same sense of relief and "we won this war"-sense of emotion that follows.
If thats because of drugs like some suggest... you should try drugs.
Yeah, I think that's a valid point. A 5-0 win is of course always fun, but usually it's 'fun' in the same way that a nice afternoon at the beach is 'fun'. A 1-0 win against the odds is always emotionally more satisfying, but then a 1-0 win when you've battered your opponent all game but couldn't score any more is sometimes very frustrating, only relieved by the fact that at least you DID score one.

So I think it depends on the nature of the 1-0.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
watching yesterdays match at home was a very unenjoyable 100 mins. Watching us demolish Liverpool 3-0 was much more fun and less damage on my nerves

A thoroughly undeserved 1-0 victory, when you have been battered like a Scottish mars bar, and somehow the football gods have enabled a clean sheet, and you have scored with your one and only attack certainly has its place, but maybe once a season

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was there HWT, but I am finally over it!
We've had some great results against the scum since then which have dimmed the memory of that awful day.
I literally lost the ability to speak for the rest of that weekend.

But.....yes.....all a long time ago now (as the man said, after photos appeared in the press of him, in his student days, dressed as Hitler and giving a Father Ted wave).

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
1-0 can obviously be exciting and satisfying.
an easy (5-0) victory can end up being fairly boring.
and vice-versa

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
watching yesterdays match at home was a very unenjoyable 100 mins. Watching us demolish Liverpool 3-0 was much more fun and less damage on my nerves

A thoroughly undeserved 1-0 victory, when you have been battered like a Scottish mars bar, and somehow the football gods have enabled a clean sheet, and you have scored with your one and only attack certainly has its place, but maybe once a season
Maybe two or three times a season. I’ll take a similar performance and result at Anfield and the Etihad. Who wouldn’t?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
To me the 1-0 takes it.

Spending 90 minutes nervous and excited and then getting away with it just satures me better than a 5-0 walk in the park win, which may be funnier and more entertaining but could never provide the same sense of relief and "we won this war"-sense of emotion that follows.
If thats because of drugs like some suggest... you should try drugs.
You sir are a great advertisement on why you shouldn’t take drugs.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Well said, I'll skip the drugs though!
These other people however seem to not be Swedish enough to appreciate destroying a football game and going home with an undeserved 1-0 victory.

It appears to be Lars Lagerbäck and Hans Scheike vs Hypno-Disc and Posh Spice all over again.
Cultural clashes, to be resolved in some upcoming international tournament.

Either way... we take the 3 points.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Surely a 5-0 away is more satisfying. Just because you’ve won 5-0 it doesn’t mean you haven’t defended well :lol:
Not really. It depends on context - a 1-0 win snatch and grab, against all odds in a match we were never expected to win lives longer in the memory; McShane with a header vs. Palace, 1-0 at West Ham (Butters) when we were rubbish, 1-0 at European Champions Forest in the 80s.

Big wins are good too - Potter's team against laughing Ronaldo, the win against Potter's Chelsea - OK, only 4 goals, not 5, but still great days. 5-0 against Grimsby in the League Cup - less so.

Last edited:

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Completely depends on the situation.

Being away and getting a gritty 1 0 win before a long journey home on the train is possibly the best feeling in football. However, smashing a team 5-0 on a Saturday at The Amex and having beers in the sun is an amazing feeling too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here