Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Athletic Bilbao vs Manchester United

D

Deleted member 18477

the relative failure of english clubs in europe this season is in part down to defensive frailties imo

agreed! it wasn't long ago a man utd v chelsea fixture etc would end 0-0. this season it was 3-3. arsenal spanked spurs 5-2, man city spanked spurs 5-1 and beat them 3-2, man utd beat arsenal 8-2, arsenal beat chelsea 5-3. the big teams this year have played all out attack! no wonder they've done shit in europe!

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Utd have barely made any forays into the penalty area.
They don't look as interested as they are in league. No hunger. Mission accomplished, I guess:rolleyes:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Teams should be able to play different ways for different games though. They are at the top of their profession, and they have a squad of players. If that is the reason it is a bit of a poor excuse.

Oct 25, 2003
Teams should be able to play different ways for different games though. They are at the top of their profession, and they have a squad of players. If that is the reason it is a bit of a poor excuse.

i just think they're all quite poor defensively........bilbao could've scored about 5 in this game, but they're showboating quite a bit....

in fact i think bilbao have also been superior in midfield.....and haven't been that troubled in defence either, especially when you consider united should be "going for it"

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Bilbao pissed all over us and Werder pre-season, albeith a pre-season and neither team being at full strength, you could see their technical ability was phenomenal. How sad is it that a team that is 5-8 best in the Spanish league can piss all over the 'champions' of this league. Just comfirms what I have been saying for 4 years now, that then Spanish league is the strongest league, and very competitive, outside of the top 2.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This game should be stopped immediately, surely the ref should be helping United ? doesn't he know who they are ? Something has clearly gone wrong, over the two legs the Spanish have by far been the better team and that, frankly, isn't fair.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
This might be a whoosh post but JJB is a Saints fan.

I'm also not an idiot that runs round shouting "can you keep up with us" or other stupid posts. This forum actually has some decent threads on it, not Brighton or Saints related.

Tonight I believe we have seen a shift in peoples thinking to the European leagues and the PL. No longer is the Premier League all dominant, instead it is inferior and quite possibly the 3rd strongest league in Europe behind Spain and Italy. I would say the standard between the PL and Bundesliga is very similar.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm also not an idiot that runs round shouting "can you keep up with us" or other stupid posts. This forum actually has some decent threads on it, not Brighton or Saints related.

Tonight I believe we have seen a shift in peoples thinking to the European leagues and the PL. No longer is the Premier League all dominant, instead it is inferior and quite possibly the 3rd strongest league in Europe behind Spain and Italy. I would say the standard between the PL and Bundesliga is very similar.
Some peoples thinking. I'd say most of us looking at the PL from the outside could see that despite all the money and hype it attracts, the football is inferior to La Liga. As a footballing nation we are 10 years behind Spain.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Some peoples thinking. I'd say most of us looking at the PL from the outside could see that despite all the money and hype it attracts, the football is inferior to La Liga. As a footballing nation we are 10 years behind Spain.

The vast majority of people support premier league teams. I have no idea why people hold the prem in such high regard! I mean seriously, if it was that good a league Ronaldo wouldn't have pissed off when he did!

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
Fantastic noise from Bilbao fans.

United boys have had enough of Europe, still smarting from being turned over by Ajax's firm at Old Trafford, who despite having little chance of a win, turned out in huge numbers, were all over town for two days, and even turned up at the Etihad to watch the City match and were given their own section of the Boo Camp. After the match at OT the Ajax boys were handing out slaps on Warwick Road, bullying anyone with a red scarf and generally doing what the f*** they wanted. Manchester United, the feared Red Army, roughed up on their own patch. Who would ever have thought it?
CCTV ? heard the M.I.B did the same in Amsterdam ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here