Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Associated Party Transactions (APT) ruling

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Better Ask a Dullard™
When the Premier League clubs voted on this issue it was 19-1 in favour of owners being able to lend to clubs interest free.

if a commercial rate (say 8%) was charged on TB’s loans to the Albion over the three year PSR period then it would reduce profits/increase losses by £106 million.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
But isn't City's argument that the rules stated that APT have to be at market rates but not shareholder loans. City shoot themselves in the foot if they are suggesting the shareholder loans have to be at market rates because then that would then also apply to APT which is not what they want. I think the Times are jumping to conclusions and haven't taken into account what the money has been used for.
Well yes. That is City's argument. But they don't shoot themselves in the foot because APTs at market rate is already the rule. So either the law is changed to get shareholder loans treated at market rates, which hurts their competitors, like us, or they get more freedom with APTs, which benefits them.

I don't believe it matters what the money is used for, if it is used for infrastructure then that doesn’t count towards PSR, sure, but the interest charged on the loan will count towards PSR regardless.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
When the Premier League clubs voted on this issue it was 19-1 in favour of owners being able to lend to clubs interest free.

if a commercial rate (say 8%) was charged on TB’s loans to the Albion over the three year PSR period then it would reduce profits/increase losses by £106 million.

Presumably that can't be retrospective though can it?

Also the judgement seems to contradict itself, APT being measured at market rates are unlawful , but the Premier league excluding Shareholder loans from market rate calculations is also unfair.

Which one is it?

Are we scrapping market rates on Sponsorship, or enforcing them on Shareholder loans?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Presumably that can't be retrospective though can it?

Also the judgement seems to contradict itself, APT being measured at market rates are unlawful , but the Premier league excluding Shareholder loans from market rate calculations is also unfair.

Which one is it?

Are we scrapping market rates on Sponsorship, or enforcing them on Shareholder loans?
I didn't think that APT measured at market rates was found to be unlawful? The conclusion was that giving an exemption to shareholder loans wasn't consistent with the ruling on APTs, that's it.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Have we been funded by interest free loans since Covid? As for our overall interest free loans surely all Bloom has to do is turn them into shares? Maybe then increase what we pay for starlizard to counter any loss he would have made. (if that ever got voted through)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Much as it pains me to admit reading something in the Telegraph, Sam Wallace says, “The rules will not be backdated. From the moment that these additions are made, PSR likely only has around nine months to run until it is replaced by the new so-called squad cost financial controls. Interest on shareholder loans is not currently planned to be included.”

Interestingly, The Times takes an entirely different view - basically it’s the death of football and City now have carte blanche to do whatever they want. To me, it feels like they’ve fallen for City’s interpretation hook, line and sinker. Martin Samuel relishing the chance to claim victory - the latest in a long line of articles slating PSR.

Reading various reports of the key aspects, seems to me that broadly speaking the principles City want removed were actually upheld. Some procedures need tweaking, that’s all. Hope so.

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
We can all do that. No need to start a thread. :shrug:

There are, or may be, ramifications for all of the teams in the PL including ourselves on this judgement, it was a big news story from the very league we play in. Apologies you didn't feel it was worthy of a thread.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I didn't think that APT measured at market rates was found to be unlawful? The conclusion was that giving an exemption to shareholder loans wasn't consistent with the ruling on APTs, that's it.
Thanks

Probably shouldn't get my interpretations of the ruling from Twitter....

I can't see the Premier League looking to apply this retrospectively.
Presumablythe Premier League just need to rewrite the rules and apply them fairly and it's job done.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There are, or may be, ramifications for all of the teams in the PL including ourselves on this judgement, it was a big news story from the very league we play in. Apologies you didn't feel it was worthy of a thread.
Apology accepted.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
City doubling down on their assessment that it's a magnificent victory by writing to all PL clubs saying the Premier League is misleading them. Will take more legal action if rules are revised in a way they don't like. It's going to be very messy. Wise advice or threatening letter?

“We will be writing separately about this to the PL but in the meantime, given the findings in the award, this is the time for careful reflection and consideration by all clubs, and not for a knee-jerk reaction,” he writes. “Such an unwise course would be likely to lead to further legal proceedings with further legal costs. It is critical for member clubs to feel that they can have trust in their regulator.”

As an aside, I think it might be a neat touch if fans of all the clubs not on City's side turned their back on them pre-match for future games.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A couple of things struck me: why did Chelsea support City's action? I'd have thought that the club, without the support of a state wealth fund to support it, but bolstered by shareholder investment is exactly the sort of club that will be hit by this judgment: what am I missing?

The other thing: I've not seen any statement from the Albion about how it will affect (or not affect) the club. I don't think any club has put out such a statement. Isn't that a bit strange,a full day after the ruling? I imagine all supporters will be wondering what this means for their club.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The other thing: I've not seen any statement from the Albion about how it will affect (or not affect) the club. I don't think any club has put out such a statement. Isn't that a bit strange,a full day after the ruling? I imagine all supporters will be wondering what this means for their club.
I'm not sure that's entirely fair...

1. This ruling came out mid-afternoon yesterday so, in terms of business hours, we're some way short of a day.
2. Have any Premier League clubs released statements on the back of the ruling? (I'm not going to try and check!)

I would thought it more pragmatic for clubs to wait for the newly-scheduled Premier League meeting for the clubs and see what comes out of that.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London

1. This ruling came out mid-afternoon yesterday so, in terms of business hours, we're some way short of a day.
2. Have any Premier League clubs released statements on the back of the ruling? (I'm not going to try and check!)

I would thought it more pragmatic for clubs to wait for the newly-scheduled Premier League meeting for the clubs and see what comes out of that.
When did the club last issue an independent statement on a matter affecting the PL as a whole, be it a contentious vote or an internal dispute? It usually just publishes collective PL statements on its website.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here