Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Asian Horror Films (Again) - The Grudge

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
I watched the American remake of The Grudge last night and, much like the remake of The Ring, I thought it was considerably better than the Japanese original. I found it easier to follow, it made a lot more sense, and it was also a bit scarier in places (although neither version was particularly scary, it has to be said).

Not a bad movie, but not exactly great either. To me, the most interesting thing about the film was that Sarah Michelle Gellar looked a little bit ropy throughout. It would seem that time is not being particularly kind to Buffy. Which is a shame.

Anyone else seen it? If so, any views?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I saw it and thought it was excellent. A real feeling of dread throughout, and some distinctly disturbing and creepy images. The ending was a bit of a let-down - it didn't have the massive shock value that The Ring had at its climax, but the journey there is an enjoyable one. Definately one of the better chillers.
As for SMG - I've never really thought she was "all that" to be honest, and her features are definately heading south now. Give it 20 years and she'll basically be Joan Rivers.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
brighton rock said:
have you seen chopper yet lb?

Can't say I have. That's Australian isn't it?

I watched the remastered edition of Audition last week. And what a film THAT is!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
1) Have seen neither so cannot comment...

2) Faith was always better looking than Buffy...

3) LB, have you seen Audition? (Ignore! I've just seen your answer above) Did it freak you out? And have you seen Ichi the Killer? It's by the same director...

4)Why have I ended each sentence as if i'm leaving something hanging in the air? like this...

Last edited:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The Grudge was scary, but to an awfully predictable formula. None of the fear lasted. I think that says a lot. I could easily sit through it again.

Chopper was terrifying.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
garry nelsons left foot said:
LB, have you seen Audition? (Ignore! I've just seen your answer above) Did it freak you out?

Never mind my answer, look at my avatar!

Amazing film, although there are a couple of things I haven't been able to work out after three viewings, which are:

What exactly happened in that hotel room? Did she drug him? And why did she disappear at that point?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Your avatar is great, which is what made me ask. That video cover drew me in to watching the movie. I thought i'd watch a japanese movie or two before coming out here. I saw that lovely lady, read the blurb, thought, hmmm interesting and then I settled down to watch it.:eek: I crapped myself watching that, thinking 'This is Japan?!?!'. Sadly (ahem) it isn't.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
garry nelsons left foot said:
Your avatar is great, which is what made me ask. That video cover drew me in to watching the movie. I thought i'd watch a japanese movie or two before coming out here. I saw that lovely lady, read the blurb, thought, hmmm interesting and then I settled down to watch it. I crapped myself watching that, thinking 'This is Japan?!?!'. Sadly (ahem) it isn't.

I think it's probably the most disturbing film I've ever seen. The build-up is slow but very watchable, the story is intriguing, and then all of a sudden it goes completely nuts. The ending is absolutely incredible.

Terrific movie but not exactly family viewing!

I haven't seen Ichi The Killer. Don't really fancy it. But I do fancy Gozu by the same director. Might pick up a copy of that today.

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
Whats the Japanses name for The audition, i doubt its the same, souldnt mind taking a look at that. Know any other exciting Japanese filmsi should take a look at while i am out here...preferably ones which will have english subtitles as not all of them do!!

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
king Wombat said:
SMG is a goddess.

I will fight anyone (as long as they are not bigger than me) who says otherwise.

so all u SMG hating dwarves - bring it on.

Not my cup of tea. . .

95095InPM_w.jpg

Damn you shit web hosting thing. :angry:

Last edited:

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
The Laughing Bluebird said:
I watched the American remake of The Grudge last night and, much like the remake of The Ring, I thought it was considerably better than the Japanese original. I found it easier to follow, it made a lot more sense, and it was also a bit scarier in places (although neither version was particularly scary, it has to be said).

Not a bad movie, but not exactly great either. To me, the most interesting thing about the film was that Sarah Michelle Gellar looked a little bit ropy throughout. It would seem that time is not being particularly kind to Buffy. Which is a shame.

Anyone else seen it? If so, any views?

Did you watch it at home ?

I watched it in the dark cinema and have to say it was much scarier in the cinema than at home as ive watched it again. In the cinema i was petrified !!! my girlfriend was wrapped around me she was so scared ..... which wasnt a bad thing ...:clap2:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Re: Re: Asian Horror Films (Again) - The Grudge

Referee87 said:
Did you watch it at home?

Yup, I did watch it at home, and as I saw the original Japanese version a couple of months ago I suppose it was less scary as I knew what to expect. The remake is pretty faithful to the original and it was directed by the same guy. As I said, I thought it was pretty good but not great.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
My best friend watched it when it came out and didnt sleep for days!!!! bless!!

I havent watched it though, i get scared watching really tame movies!

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
lets just say that I now wrap my duvet cover under and around my feet so nothin can get up there, I dont look into my duvet cover when its around me and i when i'm bed i dont look to the side of me just in case that little boy is standing there. that boys a bastard !!!! do you agree !! That film freaked me out ....

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
culvers said:
Know any other exciting Japanese filmsi should take a look at while i am out here...preferably ones which will have english subtitles as not all of them do!!

Battle Royale. (I assume you're a teacher...)

Or, if you're with a lady: Sekai ii no chushin de ai sakebu(my spelling is probably wrong).

Neither film requires subtitles for you as one is a group of schoool kids killing each other and the other is a crappy love movie that'll have your lady blubbing in your arms :thumbsup:

Also, both movies star the delectable Shibasaki Kou:love:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here