Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
England’s Ben White

It's still a hard decision to be made, depending on the offers coming in, do we sell White, Bissouma or both just now or hold onto one or both for another year and hopefully increase their values even further

If only we had one of the best Gamblers and Businessmen in the world to decide and negotiate on our behalf .......................... oh

:)

If we hung on to Biss for another year he would have a transfer value of £0.

Edit - Stand corrected - 2 years left!

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

No he wouldn’t, he’s got two years left on his current contract. If he’s not sold this summer I’d assume the club would be looking to get him on a new contract.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's still a hard decision to be made, depending on the offers coming in, do we sell White, Bissouma or both just now or hold onto one or both for another year (with new contracts :wink:) and hopefully increase their values even further

If only we had one of the best Gamblers and Businessmen in the world to decide and negotiate on our behalf .......................... oh

:)

Don't know what you're on about :whistle:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
That's not the policy though, is it. Best isn't the game here - valuable is the game.

The policy is sell players where you can make a huge profit (having spotted them young and developed them) and where you already have equivalent players pushing through to replace them and potentially repeat the cycle.

In the case of Biss, we have, we hope, plenty of young talent already in the club to replace him. The same with Ben White (potentially already better players in his case). What we wouldn't do is sell valuable players where we either (a) don't already have strength behind, and would potentially make us vulnerable or (b) where we feel a player has a lot further value to develop (eg Ben White last Summer).

If we can balance all the massively fluid moving parts, it's a superb model for the club.

One collateral impact of this is that there will be a steady flow of very talented, but didn't quite make it or get the opportunity, that we will have to move on. We're seeing a lot of names this summer where highly promising young players, some of whom cost a mill or two, might be released. Our model is definitely a numbers game.

Yep, all understood - but I'm still struggling with the answer to which teams have made this model work, or are we the Test Crash Dummies - mmmmm!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eTeg1txDv8w

Last edited:

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Useful money and I seem to think it will be used to bring in a striker.
Leo Skiri Østigård must be in GPs mind as a made for replacement.
Yves Bissouma, Jakob Moulder, Moisés Caicedo, Alexis MacAllister, Pascal Groß looks a very mouth watering midfield quintet to permutate.
Exciting stuff indeed....

TNBA

TTF

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Au contraire! As Man City join the race for our brilliant centre back, your man Jordan compares White to a Rolls Royce as he laughs off interest from Arsenal: https://www.football365.com/news/ma...IA5RuxhrwzGfMqhC0vGNOtTyBBDQIrzudsWwIPLV_vyV0

Let the bidding war start..

[tweet]1410698428166721540[/tweet]

Looks like a lot of guessing - esp the Man City article - they’ve spoke to White etc :lol:

Would much rather he went to City than Arsenal tbf though. They were linked before.

Since most of these stories are either extrapolated from the flimsiest of evidence, copied from other clickbait websites, or completely made up, I wouldn't be surprised if White stays where he is.

But if we assume any truth in any of them, I'd rather he went to Man City as the least objectionable option. And they might pay us the most.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19417604.brighton-making-progress-summer-transfer-business/

Who’s have thought it :lol:

Let’s listen to Nick on these things - so many bullshit rumours out there!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Now if you had said Southampton, that would have been different, their policies would normally be held up as a business model for the smaller teams...

In fact, what teams have applied the sell your best players to rise up the league policy, buy cheap sell big - I guess Arsenal had some success on this front, but safe in the knowledge they could go big if needed.

Southampton made Ali J/Locadia, or often even more expensive & useless than that, signings in 8 or 9 transfer windows in a row and they are not really producing that many players these days.

Wasted everything they earned and now got like 13 PL players and League One bench. Think they are a little bit doomed.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Despite all the rumours circulating that Ben White is leaving for £50m (latest figure) to go to (fill in name of interested club as there seem to be lots) I just wonder about Tony Bloom’s stance on this. Tony’s desire is for us to be a top ten Premier League club. For that to happen we would surely need our best players to stay and make the team as strong as possible.

But this is exactly what Tony wants.

To develop players via our academy or buy cheap from others, establish them in the top flight and sell on for enormous profit.

Until we start doing his we can’t get the conveyor belt starting. The only questions are a) is it the right time to sell and b) is it a good deal for the club? I think everyone here will implicitly trust Paul and Tony to make sure the latter condition is met. It’s a hard call when to sell. It definitely wasn’t last season, despite some here crying out to sell at Leeds opening 20 odd million offers. But when a club is making a bid starting at the £50m mark it does become harder to dismiss.

Ben will be a loss, of course he will. But we’ve been gearing up for this as a club with all our succession planning. It’s no secret we have a wealth of untapped highly rated defenders itching to get a chance at this level. I really like everything I’ve seen, heard and read about Ostigard. And the french lad we’ve been linked to Loic Bade. Ultimately GP and his staff will make the call on which defenders we decide to promote to the senior squad.

Personally, if he wants to join Arsenal good luck to him. I do think Ben can do better and one more season may lead to other, bigger, clubs making an offer. Eg, City, Liverpool, Utd. If his agent has any scruples I hope he does see the bigger picture rather than the first big contract coming his way.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
BIf his agent has any scruples I hope he does see the bigger picture rather than the first big contract coming his way.

You make it sound like BW doesn’t have a say

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Useful money and I seem to think it will be used to bring in a striker.
Leo Skiri Østigård must be in GPs mind as a made for replacement.
Yves Bissouma, Jakob Moulder, Moisés Caicedo, Alexis MacAllister, Pascal Groß looks a very mouth watering midfield quintet to permutate.
Exciting stuff indeed....

TNBA

TTF

If we can keep Bissouma and finish our big chances (with perhaps a new forward player or two), we’ll surely blow away our previous best ever finishing position by a few places.

White is a fantastic ball carrier out of the back 3, replacing him like for like with Østigård might not be wise. I’d certainly give the left footed Roberts a chance with Dunk and Webster in a back 3 to see if he could do the same at LCB. He has impressed in cup games and is a real ‘baller’.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If we can keep Bissouma and finish our big chances (with perhaps a new forward player or two), we’ll surely blow away our previous best ever finishing position by a few places.

White is a fantastic ball carrier out of the back 3, replacing him like for like with Østigård might not be wise. I’d certainly give the left footed Roberts a chance with Dunk and Webster in a back 3 to see if he could do the same at LCB. He has impressed in cup games and is a real ‘baller’.
I'm sure GP will have a look at Roberts during pre-season, but I doubt if he's ready for the first team yet. He did OK at Rochdale, but he didn't exactly set the place on fire either - often played at LB rather than CB, possibly because of his size and lack of aerial ability. He's only 19, so still has time to grow and fill out a bit; like Longman, I would think another loan one division higher is on the cards.
On the other hand, Clarke is also left footed, and has played consistantly at a higher level.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That's not true though, is it. Leicester weren't shipping players out for mega bucks until after they won the Premier League.

In fact their "model" was the complete opposite of our intended one, they acquired, through good recruitment a good team, who with a huge slice of luck of the Top 6 all miss-firing at the same time, were able to win the league.

Since then they have bought and sold big...

Not sure I agree, because:
1, them winning the PL was just a freak, it wasn't part of their strategy
2, yes, since then, they have bought big, but they've sold at humungous prices
3, Southampton of circa a decade ago might be what we're seeking to emulate, but not the one of now. They're at a different level to us, but Dortmund seem to be the model to follow.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Not sure I agree, because:
1, them winning the PL was just a freak, it wasn't part of their strategy
2, yes, since then, they have bought big, but they've sold at humungous prices
3, Southampton of circa a decade ago might be what we're seeking to emulate, but not the one of now. They're at a different level to us, but Dortmund seem to be the model to follow.

Er, you appear to be repeating what I said. Someone else had mentioned Leicester as being the model to follow, which I pointed out wasn't the case. I also said that Southampton was a better example - as for Dortmund, I'm afraid I know nothing about them, apart from they are German :)

Sarisbury Seagull

Solly March Fan Club
NSC Patron
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Er, you appear to be repeating what I said. Someone else had mentioned Leicester as being the model to follow, which I pointed out wasn't the case. I also said that Southampton was a better example - as for Dortmund, I'm afraid I know nothing about them, apart from they are German :)

The Southampton thing is a total fallacy, we’re already a MUCH better run club than they are.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The Southampton thing is a total fallacy, we’re already a MUCH better run club than they are.

We really are talking at cross purposes here aren't we. The mention of Southampton was about the fact that historically they are seen as a "small" club who survive by nurturing raw talent and selling on at a profit - similar to what many are suggesting as our model.

However it can only be sustained for so long as Southampton are now proving as they appear to be struggling a little more recently (yes, still finishing above us) - there was never any mention as to who is the better run club!

Edit: just noted I've replied to two separate posts from two different people - points still stand though :)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here