Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus Lite - Your new FREE newspaper

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
West Hoathly Seagull said:
I'm not aware that Brighton Station has ever been known as "Brighton Central". Perhaps someone could elaborate if I am wrong.

I think I'm right in saying that it was called just that until the 1930s, although I somehow doubt that was in the mind of the person who wrote that, more likely the usual lazy Americanism.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The Sussex Express does a free version now. I hope this trend continues, it will save me a fortune.

West Hoathly Seagull said:
The Guardian ought to know the Argus's sales figures. I think they are both owned by the Pearson Group.

No, Pearson used to own the Argus quite a few years ago, but it has never owned the Guardian. Pearson are my current employers.

Last edited:

Wozza said:
More recently, the Argus abandoned its 125-year-old evening edition in favour of a single daytime one, but sales have continued to decline - falling 11% in the year to September 2005.

:rolleyes: The current owners of the Argus, Newsquest (Gannett) are running it into the ground because they don't believe it has a long-term future.

They have given up on any hope that it can be rescued editorially, that's why they sacked Bradshaw, who was improving the paper.

They are now just trying to squeeze whatever money out of it before it's long slow death.

A great shame - because you need community papers like the Argus to provide a sense of community. No one seems to care anymore what is going on in the same town as them.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
London Irish said:
:rolleyes: The current owners of the Argus, Newsquest (Gannett) are running it into the ground because they don't believe it has a long-term future.
Don't they also own the Southampton Echo? I hear morale there is none too good with people just waiting for the next round of redundancies.

I agree with your sentiments about a local paper, can't they sell it to someone who cares?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
London Irish said:
No, Pearson used to own the Argus quite a few years ago, but it has never owned the Guardian. Pearson are my current employers.

Oops, I was probably thinking of the Guardian's boss Al Scardino, who is married to the Pearson boss, Dame Marjorie Scardino. Both seem to get fairly regular mentions in the Private Eye.

The Guardian is part of the Guardian Media Group of newspapers, radio stations, and new media including The Observer Sunday newspaper, the Manchester Evening News, and Guardian Unlimited, one of the most popular online news resources on the Internet. All the aforementioned are owned by The Scott Trust, a charitable foundation which aims to ensure the newspaper's editorial independence in perpetuity, maintaining its financial health to ensure it does not become vulnerable to take over by for-profit media groups, and the serious compromise of editorial independence that this often brings.

The Guardian's ownership by the Scott Trust is likely a factor in it being the only British national daily to conduct (since 2003) an annual social, ethical and environmental audit in which it examines, under the scrutiny of an independent external auditor, its own behaviour as a company[5].

The Guardian and its parent groups are a participant in Project Syndicate [2], established by George Soros, and intervened in 1995 to save the Mail & Guardian in South Africa [3], but Guardian Media Group sold the majority of its shares in the Mail & Guardian in 2002.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
fourthteamtillidie said:
Shocked me to see the purchase figures from Brighton Station though.

Still what do they expect when its 35p to read the backpage, then maybe see whats on telly tonight?

Absolute pile of poo.

Exactly, I but it on may way to work in the morning, about 6.15 (so wont even get a freebie) into work, buy a coffee, read the stuff about Brighton, glance over letters for Falmer then thats it. Most days by the time I've done that the coffee is still too hot to drink. It was only just before christmas they put the price up, I couldn't believe it as the paper just gets thinner and thinner

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
What's with the word LITE. Corruption of our tried and tested English language.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Will it have Su Doku ?

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
In recent years the management response to any suggestions of more street-sellers touting the paper in town, was that although it might sounds an obvious way to boost the paper's profile and sales, actually employing people to do this was ludicrously expensive and they all tended to 'look like paedophiles' anyway...

So it will be interesting to see now how they manage to get round the ban on station concourse sales and achieve enough powerful presence, without coming across to harried commuters as either insignificant or utterly annoying...

Interesting to see how it turns out, though. Metro's exclusive deals with rail operators may not last too much longer, but the seven years' experience means any newcomers are significantly playing catch-up...

Content will be key, though, too, and the balance between interesting-enough Sussex coverage and page-filling PA other-stuff...

From chatting to ex-colleagues at The Argus, morale seems deathly there at the moment (though I suppose hacks'll always claim similar...), so as another throw of the dice after the sadly-unsuccessful relaunch two years ago, it's probably worth trying and seeing...

But coming so soon after the axeing of the evening edition, it does seem a little disconcerting for such a once-strong local institution (of sorts)...

SussexSpur said:
From chatting to ex-colleagues at The Argus, morale seems deathly there at the moment
Aidan, one of your contemporaries, Tom, has escaped and is now working alongside me. Out of the frying pan..... etc :)

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
London Irish said:
Aidan, one of your contemporaries, Tom, has escaped and is now working alongside me. Out of the frying pan..... etc :)

Really? Tom, Tom, Tom... hmm, can only guess he's Sion's old pupil..?

If so, am delighted to hear he's leapt free...
Whatever the current temperature might be...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here