Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Anyone else playing Wordle?

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Wordle 977 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Not as impressive as @Harry Wilson's tackle ’s 3, but I’m still chuffed at getting a 3 after a blank start.

Played 759
Streak 497
Average 3.76

2024 Average 3.60
Another draw, @Bedsex. Well done after the blank row. Sorry for the delay in posting. I'm on a cruise ship in the Caribbean and am a bit all over the place with timings. In fact, a bit all over the place full stop.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Hold on. People who have played Wordle longest have a distinct advantage as they know which words have been used. Someone starting Wordle today would be at a major disadvantage. They would have to start building up a new memorybank through trial and error. In practice they would never catch up. I played Wordle when it first appeared for about a month then forgot all about it until joining NSC last summer. After finishing bottom of the previous competition I realised that was at a major disadvantage. I wrote a post about checking previous solutions on this thread but AFAIK had no responses which I interpreted as people not wanting to admit that they did exactly that. I have often checked words, though I do so now much less than previously simply because the more I've checked, the more previous answers I've got to know.

It's quite simple -- you either make it permissible to check, or forbidden to check, and ask that people are honest. My belief is that Wordle people are fundamentally pure and decent -- even more so than the already elevated NSC/Albion fan demographic -- so I would go along with any stricture not to check. But it has to be a rule one way or the other.
The only issue with putting a rule in to ask people not to check (other than the question of an individual’s integrity - clearly a moot point for all of us on here), is that some people have a better memory than others. Many on here may be able to recall which words were used 18 months ago, whereas I struggle to remember what I had for breakfast this morning 🤔

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Another draw, @Bedsex. Well done after the blank row. Sorry for the delay in posting. I'm on a cruise ship in the Caribbean and am a bit all over the place with timings. In fact, a bit all over the place full stop.
Well done, let’s try again tomorrow. I wonder how long we can string this along for before everyone gets bored. I have visions of the Isner v Mahut match at Wimbledon in 2010

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Hold on. People who have played Wordle longest have a distinct advantage as they know which words have been used. Someone starting Wordle today would be at a major disadvantage. They would have to start building up a new memorybank through trial and error. In practice they would never catch up. I played Wordle when it first appeared for about a month then forgot all about it until joining NSC last summer. After finishing bottom of the previous competition I realised that was at a major disadvantage. I wrote a post about checking previous solutions on this thread but AFAIK had no responses which I interpreted as people not wanting to admit that they did exactly that. I have often checked words, though I do so now much less than previously simply because the more I've checked, the more previous answers I've got to know.

It's quite simple -- you either make it permissible to check, or forbidden to check, and ask that people are honest. My belief is that Wordle people are fundamentally pure and decent -- even more so than the already elevated NSC/Albion fan demographic -- so I would go along with any stricture not to check. But it has to be a rule one way or the other.
I sort of agree with the Colonel here. We are all assuming people are being honest with their postings, after all there is no real benefit in doing it.
Having a list of past answers I think is fair, and I wished I had looked at mine this morning. After that second go, I had narrowed down to a few possibilities, but discounted one because I remembered it being the answer a while ago.
However, after the next go, that was the only logical answer, so did a quick check and saw that the previous answer was a variation of the word, i.e. a different tense.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Well done, let’s try again tomorrow. I wonder how long we can string this along for before everyone gets bored. I have visions of the Isner v Mahut match at Wimbledon in 2010
Well, if you keep going, the Wordle Spring Cup may actually finish in meteorological Spring I gave it that name seeing all the daffodils in my garden in late January (perhaps leave that for the Climate Change Thread).

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head

I have no idea what words have been used. I might remember yesterday’s solution but that is it. I do not have a starter word either and just put in the word that pops into my head in the morning. It’s a game. Each does their own thing. Enjoy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wordle 978 4/6

⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

1708564157112.png

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Three. Slightly lucky like the Colonel in that I had plenty of options on two and chose one that narrowed it down to one left. Slightly unluckily in that guess two was more obscure than the answer but was the first thing that popped into my head to test a letter pattern.

Wordle 978 3/6

⬛⬛🟩⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here