[Technology] Anyone else playing Wordle?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Wordle Spring Cup - Final Set of Group Fixtures

The scores are in:

This means the final tables are:

1708276806534.png

Details on the QF coming up shortly

Last edited:

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Spring Cup averages

As players have commented on their averages, just to note some impressive averages all round (as shown in the table above), particularly in Group C (highest average 3.38). We are definitely getting better at this
Also to note @Dinner with Gotsmanov and @Bakero averaged 3.0 and failed to qualify! Bakero's elimination probably the biggest shock since Bart V keeping a clean sheet in the Premier League.
As a comparison, here are the averages from group stages of previous competition:

Competition Group StagesCompetitorsWin/Loss %Draw %Average
Spring Cup 20242060.0%40.0%3.51
Europa League Oct 20232461.7%38.3%3.7
Spring Cup 20231679.2%20.8%3.98
Wordle World Cup1473.8%26.2%3.69

Last edited:

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Excellent analysis, @SeagullsoverLondon ! It was my hard luck to be in the group of death! Good luck to everyone remaining in the Cup.

Are our averages getting better over time, do you know? Mine seems to be, but I also wonder if the words are getting easier (less obscure). I'm gradually backshading my spreadsheet of past answers using NSC's archive to see if there are any patterns of words I do particularly well or badly at. Only another 300 to go!

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Excellent analysis, @SeagullsoverLondon ! It was my hard luck to be in the group of death! Good luck to everyone remaining in the Cup.

Are our averages getting better over time, do you know? Mine seems to be, but I also wonder if the words are getting easier (less obscure). I'm gradually backshading my spreadsheet of past answers using NSC's archive to see if there are any patterns of words I do particularly well or badly at. Only another 300 to go!

Comparing the averages of players from this time last year to today, definitely yes. Everyone who was posting then and is still posting has improved. And you are the most improved over the past year! Of course that

Average20/02/202319/02/2024Change
Bakero3.513.450.06
JJ McClure3.663.610.05
Frutos3.673.610.06
One Teddy Maybank3.73.680.02
The Oldman3.793.680.11
BrightonCottager3.873.670.2
SeagullsoverLondon3.893.820.07
Bedsex3.93.760.14
Harry Wilson's tackle4.043.970.07
Dinner with Gotsmanov4.053.90.15
The Brighton Bear4.063.90.16
Surrey Jim4.164.030.13

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Calling @pasty @Frutos @JJ McClure @Bedsex @The Oldman @Colonel Mustard @The Brighton Bear

I am just checking how you would like the QF draw to be done as I have not specified.
I was planning 2 legged ties (but No Away Goals Rule)
In the past we have done the traditional model 1st A v 2nd B, 2nd A v 1st B etc, then swap halves for semi finals.
Would people prefer first place teams to be randomly drawn against second placed teams?

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
NSC Patron
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
Calling @pasty @Frutos @JJ McClure @Bedsex @The Oldman @Colonel Mustard @The Brighton Bear

I am just checking how you would like the QF draw to be done as I have not specified.
In the past we have done the traditional model 1st A v 2nd B, 2nd A v 1st B etc, then swap halves for semi finals.
Would people prefer first place teams to be randomly drawn against second placed teams?
Not fussed. I'll leave it up to you.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

I'm happy to go with whatever you/others prefer.

Only thing I'd have a strong view on is no away goals rule. :thumbsup:

Thanks, by the way, for all your work.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

No preference from me. You’re doing a sterling job organising all this, so happy to go with the flow πŸ‘

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head

Keep it as it was. Thanks for your hard work

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
It seems right that averages come down as more and more solutions are used up and become no longer valid. Made up example -- at the very start of the Wordle epoch, there may have been 10 possible words that start with STA but now there are, say, only 5. This greatly reduces the number of guesses needed.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The day after finishing bottom of the group and I get a no yellows two!

Wordle 975 2/6

β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

SPOILER

As suspected Wordle Bot confirmed my new starter meant I only had one option left. It was the next best thing to a one. I think at least one other NSCer will be in the same position and his user name will begin with a B

Last edited:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Wordle 975 3/6
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟩
🟨🟨⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports