[Technology] Anyone else playing Wordle?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Disaster. My first 6 for months, just as the contest has begun. My experiment at doing Wordle during the day rather than at midnight has failed!
Wordle 967 6/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜⬜🟨🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

In my defence, there was some bad luck here. Every single line had valid alternatives and it was a question of having to randomly pick one over another. Wordle at its most annoying. Ah well. Time to put this one behind me and plough on. We go again!

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I don't think there are any "official" rules on NSC, except obviously no looking for clues before starting your Wordle, and I think using word solvers to fill in missing letters would be frowned upon.
However, given that some of us have memories slightly worse than Joe Biden, (apart from being able to recall in great detail every goal scored by Booby Zamora at the Withdean and what they ate at halftime) it is generally accepted that looking at past answers is ok. Clearly, that does give an advantage for those who use the lists, compared to those that don't, but as people are open about what they do, I would say it is ok.
Downright cheating I'd call that.

'Looking at past answers' OTOH was a game changer for me. It never occurred to me to do this until after I'd finished bottom of the last competition. I was quite miffed especially as I think of myself as a bit of a wordsmith type (used to work as an editor). In trying to explain it, I raised the topic of checking previous solutions (something I'd never done) but as no one responded to my post on the question of whether or not it was allowed, I came to the conclusion that I was probably the only person not doing it. Needless to say that my scores have improved significantly since then (apart from today's 6!) As the number of 5-letter words dwindles, Wordle is therefore getting easier.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Downright cheating I'd call that.

'Looking at past answers' OTOH was a game changer for me. It never occurred to me to do this until after I'd finished bottom of the last competition. I was quite miffed especially as I think of myself as a bit of a wordsmith type (used to work as an editor). In trying to explain it, I raised the topic of checking previous solutions (something I'd never done) but as no one responded to my post on the question of whether or not it was allowed, I came to the conclusion that I was probably the only person not doing it. Needless to say that my scores have improved significantly since then (apart from today's 6!) As the number of 5-letter words dwindles, Wordle is therefore getting easier.
Please don't sit on the fence🀣
For me I sometimes check the past answers just because of what I would call false memory syndrome. You remember playing a word before, but can't quite remember whether it was the solution or not.
Today, I was convinced the solution had been played before so on the second go went for a different word (which was actually an anagram) When 2 greens and three yellows came up the solution became obvious.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Cup Update
Today's results

Untitled drawing.jpg

Still quite tight, only @BrightonCottager has actually won more than 1 game, so all to play for over the next week or so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports