Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Anyone else playing Wordle?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I must admit that I have some very strong feelings about this entire thread. I know that people aren't being completely honest about how they have achieved their magnificent averages only because they have openly admitted to looking at this thread prior to posting their update, others have said that they "happened" to see a friend's comment on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram et al so they managed to get it right on their first attempt (more than once).

I consider myself to have a good vocabulary and I know that this game is based on luck, especially if you use Hard mode, but the amount of "inspired" guesses by some posters is beyond belief. There are some days when I have thought "sod this" but I have taken a deep breath, a swig of tea and thought that I shouldn't let something like this wind me up.

I have played 149 games and I have failed 4 times and I can fully understand the pride of those who have gone beyond a winning streak of 150+, I would imagine the thought of resetting their streak at a certain point might not get their vote.

I took this on over four months ago and I have my little rants but it is good to hear the opinions of others, I am open to any suggestions and I would like to hear anyone's suggestions for improvements.

The thread is pefect and your curation much appreciated. All my guesses are clean and that's good enough for me :thumbsup:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Wordle 341 3/6*

🟨🟨🟨⬛🟨
⬛🟨🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Average 3.4014, Current Streak 1, Longest streak 98

I don't know how i managed it but completely forgot to play this yesterday, and so have lost my streaks.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I must admit that I have some very strong feelings about this entire thread. I know that people aren't being completely honest about how they have achieved their magnificent averages only because they have openly admitted to looking at this thread prior to posting their update, others have said that they "happened" to see a friend's comment on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram et al so they managed to get it right on their first attempt (more than once).

I consider myself to have a good vocabulary and I know that this game is based on luck, especially if you use Hard mode, but the amount of "inspired" guesses by some posters is beyond belief. There are some days when I have thought "sod this" but I have taken a deep breath, a swig of tea and thought that I shouldn't let something like this wind me up.

I have played 149 games and I have failed 4 times and I can fully understand the pride of those who have gone beyond a winning streak of 150+, I would imagine the thought of resetting their streak at a certain point might not get their vote.

I took this on over four months ago and I have my little rants but it is good to hear the opinions of others, I am open to any suggestions and I would like to hear anyone's suggestions for improvements.

Personally i'm not bothered about league tables, as it makes no difference to how i play and my results would be the same whether this thread existed or not. I just enjoy the challenge of trying to solve the game and would continue to play and post on this thread if there wasn't a league table. (i would only probably stop posting if i was the only one (or if there were only 1 or 2 others posting their results, like has happened with the Headle and Moviedle threads)

That said, i do really appreciate the time and effort and dedication that you have put in to compile it every day, (it can't be easy and must be fairly time consuming), and i'm sure there are others who probably get a lot out of having them (maybe so they can see how well they are doing compared to others, to use as a measure of their own performance over time, to give them a target to try to reach, etc) and therefore feel they would be better placed to answer what direction, if any, your updates should take, should you decide to continue.

Blinkers

NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2020
Fall from grace recently 🙁

Avg = 3.96

Wordle 341 3/6*

🟨⬛⬛🟨🟨
⬛🟨🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

A66D05BC-8D28-4FFE-98C4-FF0C18519EEA.jpeg

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder

I always post my result before reading the thread although it’s not likely I’ll get any hints as I’m a day ahead!

I intended stopping at 100 but carried on and intend stopping at my first fail or if I miss a day. This is quite possible as I’m flying over to the UK next week and it may get missed in the time changeover etc. Although I may just carry on as I enjoy the mind challenge. I also do Expert Killer Sudoku every day. Got to keep the brain active as you get older!😂

As others have said we appreciate your time and effort in running the table. To me it’s a bit of fun, very addictive and my average doesn’t really change much as I seem to mainly get 3’s and 4’s with a few others added in for good measure.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Phew! Second consecutive 6

Wordle 341 6/6

[emoji833]🟨🟨[emoji833][emoji833]
[emoji833][emoji833]🟨🟨[emoji833]
🟩[emoji833][emoji833]🟩[emoji833]
🟩🟩[emoji833]🟩[emoji833]
🟩🟩[emoji833]🟩[emoji833]
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wordle 341 4/6*

🟨⬜🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Average 3.92
Streak 21

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’d like to see a monthly reset because as others have said once you get to 150ish games played the averages hardly change at all as you’d need a run of one or two or 5,6, fail to make much difference.

As I am the mathematical dunce of NSC I think the logistics of resets would need a spreadsheet as I work my average out from the NY Times daily chart. Am I wrong?

Anyway many thanks [MENTION=16461]The Brighton Bear[/MENTION] for doing this on a daily basis :thumbsup: I’ll miss it when you decide that you have had enough

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Wordle 341 3/6*

[emoji833]🟨🟨[emoji833]🟩
[emoji833][emoji833]🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

An inspired guess (and slightly risky - in so much as there’s really any level of peril playing Wordle) gave me a 3 today.

I’d like to echo what others have said in that BB is doing an absolutely splendid job of producing the daily league table. As you can probably tell from my average, I don’t come on this thread, or look for any clues elsewhere before doing the daily Wordle puzzle. In fact I’ve got into the routine of making it the first thing I do after I’ve got up and fed the dog - I make myself a coffee and sit down in my study to do Wordle.

The concept of a monthly league table is interesting, it would certainly spice things up a bit, but I think it would be administratively difficult. It would also require each competitor to keep their own monthly average. I suspect if we were to go down this route, there may be more accusations of foul play and queries around the calculations! Therefore, I say we stuck with what we’ve got, as long as @%1; is happy to continue with the good work.

Anyway, here are my latest, completely clean stats:

Played 123
Streak 76
Average 3.93

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Wordle 341 3/6*

[emoji833]🟨🟨[emoji833]🟩
[emoji833][emoji833]🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

An inspired guess (and slightly risky - in so much as there’s really any level of peril playing Wordle) gave me a 3 today.

I’d like to echo what others have said in that BB is doing an absolutely splendid job of producing the daily league table. As you can probably tell from my average, I don’t come on this thread, or look for any clues elsewhere before doing the daily Wordle puzzle. In fact I’ve got into the routine of making it the first thing I do after I’ve got up and fed the dog - I make myself a coffee and sit down in my study to do Wordle.

The concept of a monthly league table is interesting, it would certainly spice things up a bit, but I think it would be administratively difficult. It would also require each competitor to keep their own monthly average. I suspect if we were to go down this route, there may be more accusations of foul play and queries around the calculations! Therefore, I say we stick with what we’ve got, as long as @%1; is happy to continue with the good work.

Played 123
Streak 76
Average 3.93

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Wordle 341 2/6

����⬜��⬜
����������

As Mrs Thatcher said when winning a school prize: “I wasn’t lucky, I deserved it!” :cheers::)

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Wordle 341 3/6*

[emoji833]🟨🟨[emoji833]🟩
[emoji833][emoji833]🟨🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

The concept of a monthly league table is interesting, it would certainly spice things up a bit, but I think it would be administratively difficult. It would also require each competitor to keep their own monthly average. I suspect if we were to go down this route, there may be more accusations of foul play and queries around the calculations! Therefore, I say we stuck with what we’ve got, as long as @%1; is happy to continue with the good work.

Played 123
Streak 76
Average 3.93

Could we not all just clear our cookies on the 1st of each month? I’m pretty sure that would reset our history and streaks etc.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Could we not all just clear our cookies on the 1st of each month? I’m pretty sure that would reset our history and streaks etc.

That would work, although I’m not sure everyone would be happy with having their ‘official’ stats reset every month, particularly those with long streaks.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
That would work, although I’m not sure everyone would be happy with having their ‘official’ stats reset every month, particularly those with long streaks.
I am not bothered either way. My "official stats" are already messed up hence having to keep my own separate ones.

Also I am happy to do a separate monthly table for everyone who posts a score. I can just add more columns to my spreadsheet with each competitor.

I would post a weekly update. Happy to start from June.

Would like to add my thanks to BB for all of his hard work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here