Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Anyone else playing Wordle?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Wordle 583 3/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Tactics question: do you usually use 10 different letters over the first two goes, with the hope of getting a three….or if you get a green or a yellow in your first go, do you go for broke?

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Wordle 583 3/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Tactics question: do you usually use 10 different letters over the first two goes, with the hope of getting a three….or if you get a green or a yellow in your first go, do you go for broke?
If you are playing the "hard version" you have to use the yellow or green letters in subsequent goes. Therefore you don't have the option to choose 10 different letters unless no yellows or greens come up on the first go.
If you are playing on easy mode and want to make sure of at least a 4, it makes sense to go with something like TRAIN followed by CLOSE to eliminate the most popular letters , unless you have 2 tor 3 yellow and greens on the first go, when you might change tactic.
But I am not an expert on this (see from my average!) and others have better insight.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Wordle 583 6/6*

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜⬜🟩🟨🟩
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
FFS 1st 6 of the year, to send me tumbling down the table. I blame prematch nerves and the possibility of going 5th in the real table!
Mean 3.9 (2023 3.61)
Streak 14

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Wordle 584 3/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Played 310, Current & Max Streak 127, Average 4.17 (1294/310)

2023 - Played 24, Current & Max Streak 24, Average 3.62 (87/24)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Wordle 584 2/6*

🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Happy with that.

Wordle 584 2/6

🟨🟩⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Tallies.PNG

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Wordle 584 5/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟩⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

a bit frustrating but didn’t take long

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Wordle 583 3/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Please check my average and then do not take this advice with any credence etc. :)

I have a standard starting word which has not yet been a Wordle solution. If this yields perhaps only 1 yellow, I will go for a 2nd backup word with different letters containing 2 of the 3 remaining vowels.

Alternatively, if I get any hits on my first go, I then start to consider possible letter combinations to eliminate as yet untried letters e.g. can an X, Z or Q possibly fit in the word? If the last letter is a T for example what letters cannot or perhaps very rarely can be the penultimate letter of that word?

The only other thing I sometimes try is to put a yellow letter into a guess twice (usually if I only have 1 or 2 yellows only at that point) recent examples are ELOPE and TROUT my thinking is that in the past when I was inexperienced I would get really flummoxed if the word had a letter repeated plus it gives you twice the chance to get a green.

I also use MS Word to create a working area to test out letter combos (greener than a pen and paper) and very occasionally refer back to a list of past solutions.

Other than that, it is a all a bit of luck really. Very rarely will there be a solution which is a word you have never seen or heard before, therefore it is in essence a competition to see how soon you can eliminate enough letters to leave you with only 1 possible solution.

Happy to be proved wrong or learn from the <4.00 averagers...

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I notice plenty of posters are not on hard mode, is this so you can guess the next word not using a letter/ letters that you already have?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here