Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andrew Castle!?!?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
The greatest moment in British tennis in decades, and this incompetent buffoon is in the commentary box, where's McEnroe or Becker? People who played Tennis at the highest level and can offer some actual insight into winning a Wimbledon title, rather than reciting some uninteresting facts about how many people Center Court can hold for about the millionth time in the last 2 weeks.

Oh and I really could not give a f*** who is sitting in the Royal Box, I'm here to watch tennis not wank over Pippa Middleton. (that can come later) So why do they keep cutting to her inbetween points?

One Robbie Reinelt

Forever Brighton
Feb 28, 2009
The greatest moment in British tennis in decades, and this incompetent buffoon is in the commentary box, where's McEnroe or Becker? People who played Tennis at the highest level and can offer some actual insight into winning a Wimbledon title, rather than reciting some uninteresting facts about how many people Center Court can hold for about the millionth time in the last 2 weeks.

Oh and I really could not give a f*** who is sitting in the Royal Box, I'm here to watch tennis not wank over Pippa Middleton. (that can come later) So why do they keep cutting to her inbetween points?

Have you seen his nausea-inducing adverts for compensation claims? Makes me want to punch the TV every time I see his 'sincere' appeal for victims to claim what they're entitled to - GO GET AN EFFIN JOB LIKE THE REST OF US AS OPPOSED TO SUEING EVERYONE IN SIGHT BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T LOOK WHERE YOU WERE GOING OR TRIPPED OVER YOUR OWN SHOELACES!
Rant over .. & relax!

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK

BBC and sports coverage are so pants now it is highly embarrassing. Their F1 coverage is OK but as for football,racing and tennis...boy is it amateurish and cheap. Cue slow mo pictures and orchestral music accompany everything; along with pathetic cronyism and sycophancy.

Sky for me every time.

TNBA

TTF

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
can't see McEnroe & Becker operating brilliantly together but would be good to have at least one of them there at all times. Both of them know their stuff, have proper credentials and very dry sense of humour.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Well, i'm hearing Becker loud & clear in the commentary box. I assume McEnroe is commentating for US TV as he always does for the finals.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Well, i'm hearing Becker loud & clear in the commentary box. I assume McEnroe is commentating for US TV as he always does for the finals.

Becker had not appeared when I made the thread, my point stands, Castle talks far too much innane shit that just gets in the way of my enjoyment of this sporting spectacle, he knows f*** all about high level tennis and tries to make up by talking nonstop about everything else instead.

He's simply not competent enough to be commentating on a sporting event of this scale.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
As much as i agree that Castle is a cretin, its the celebs and politicians that get to go who probably dont even like tennis, like the horribly awful Victoria Beckham plus the inane calling out of the middle class twats, that annoy me more.
Cracking match though, Murray playing better than i thought he would.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
As much as i agree that Castle is a cretin, its the celebs and politicians that get to go who probably dont even like tennis, like the horribly awful Victoria Beckham plus the inane calling out of the middle class twats, that annoy me more.
Cracking match though, Murray playing better than i thought he would.

drew

Drew
NSC Patron
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ive got one, its a nice sunny afternoon, sitting here with my feet up and a cold bottle of Thatchers Gold, watching a great sporting event and having a nice chat with you good folk on NSC. I am quite happy.

Which, in fairness, is not surprising as you are not one of those that are allowing their view of an innocuous presenter get in the way of a a great tennis match and possibly history in the making.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Becker had not appeared when I made the thread, my point stands, Castle talks far too much innane shit that just gets in the way of my enjoyment of this sporting spectacle, he knows f*** all about high level tennis and tries to make up by talking nonstop about everything else instead.

He's simply not competent enough to be commentating on a sporting event of this scale.

I've always seen Andrew Castle as the commentator, with Henman/McEnroe/Becker/Cash/Wade/Austin etc. as the pundits though. Same as in football you don't say "why the f*** is Guy Mowbray commentating on a match of this level when he never played the game?. I realise this is slightly complicated by the fact that Castle was a (crap) tennis player, and the distinction between commentator and pundit is less defined in tennis than in football.

Not to mention the fact that the assumption that being involved in a sport makes you the biggest expert on it is one of the main reasons sports coverage and journalism is so bad nowadays.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I've always seen Andrew Castle as the commentator, with Henman/McEnroe/Becker/Cash/Wade/Austin etc. as the pundits though. Same as in football you don't say "why the f*** is Guy Mowbray commentating on a match of this level when he never played the game?. I realise this is slightly complicated by the fact that Castle was a (crap) tennis player, and the distinction between commentator and pundit is less defined in tennis than in football.

Not to mention the fact that the assumption that being involved in a sport makes you the biggest expert on it is one of the main reasons sports coverage and journalism is so bad nowadays.

If that's the case then he's just a shit commentator rather than a shit pundit.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

He did. It was the first year ESPN covered the men’s and women’s finals. I thought they did a good job – McEnroe has the depth and I always think his commentary is very objective.

Now if only Fox Soccer could get rid of that twat Warren Barton.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
He did. It was the first year ESPN covered the men’s and women’s finals. I thought they did a good job – McEnroe has the depth and I always think his commentary is very objective.

Now if only Fox Soccer could get rid of that twat Warren Barton.

McEnroe would be great if it wasn't for the terrible American high-school sport Jock cliches he always spouts with. "He needs to get his first serve COOKIN'", "he needs to bring his A GAME" etc.

The coverage this year has been truly shit though. The pundits hardly ever say anything, practically never anything with any tactical awareness, just stuff that anyone could say ("his head's down", "this is an important point" etc.). I swear they used to use the changing of ends to discuss how players are winning/cancelling each other out/how they can improve, rather than now which is stupid stupid slow motion montages of players grimacing, shots of celebrities in the crows, shots of Judy Murray and Ivan Lendl, and commentators talking utter rubbish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here