Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - joining Hull permanently

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Whatever you do, don't read the Varndenians thread @Han Solo
Hah, hardly even reading this one. I already know what the posts are like. They will contain one or several of the following sentiments:

1. I am a perfect human being and Aaron isn't and that's his problem.
2. I have never participated in a witch hunt against Aaron or other players and if I did, it is his fault if he cares.
3. Neither has any other Albion fan ever said anything unreasonable to any 19-year-old that could cause any sort of harm.
4. Graham Potter is Satan.
5. I really hope it goes well for Aaron but I'll be here on a weekly basis commenting on when he makes a bad pass or misses a chance.
6. Here's what my friend told me about the private life of player X or X.
7. I'm a perfectly normal citizen asking random people in stores, clubs and hairdressers what some 20-year-old is doing in his spare time

Probably missing some but that should cover most of it. Bit like how you already know my thoughts on the subject.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Frustrated Discovery Channel GIF by Discovery

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hah, hardly even reading this one. I already know what the posts are like. They will contain one or several of the following sentiments:

2. I have never participated in a witch hunt against Aaron or other players and if I did, it is his fault if he cares.
3. Neither has any other Albion fan ever said anything unreasonable to any 19-year-old that could cause any sort of harm.
5. I really hope it goes well for Aaron but I'll be here on a weekly basis commenting on when he makes a bad pass or misses a chance.
7. I'm a perfectly normal citizen asking random people in stores, clubs and hairdressers what some 20-year-old is doing in his spare time

Probably missing some but that should cover most of it. Bit like how you already know my thoughts on the subject.
Oh dear.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Or is it, when the club are investing huge amounts of money in his career?

If he were a racehorse they wouldn’t let him laze in the field all day eating out of the pig bins, then expect him to win the 3.40 at Kemptown Park or at least expect a place?

I do think for all the great work the club does both off the pitch and results on it, this has been a blip, thankfully AC has come out the other side, and if it means they change their policy and general attitude with the younger players then its been a huge learning curve.
"Let him" he was an adult with his own desires and rights. That's the problem. At that age they can guide him, they can support him, that's it really.

Your racehorse comparison is completely irrelivent, a racehorse can't think for itself on that level, it doesn't actually 'know' its a racehorse and what is expected of it, it doesn't know what the alternatives are or what's in the next field, it will still spook at a carrier bag like any other horse.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

With you on Number 4. 😂

Like De Niro in Angel Heart, totally fooled us all…….

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

You are not well.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
"Let him" he was an adult with his own desires and rights. That's the problem. At that age they can guide him, they can support him, that's it really.

Your racehorse comparison is completely irrelivent, a racehorse can't think for itself on that level, it doesn't actually 'know' its a racehorse and what is expected of it, it doesn't know what the alternatives are or what's in the next field, it will still spook at a carrier bag like any other horse.
Don't even try to reason with this confused pitchfork mob and you'll have a more pleasant Friday afternoon. Can almost guarantee it.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Becoming an alcoholic and/or partying your life and career away are symptoms of other things being wrong. If he or you doesn't know that, then yes I know something he and you doesn't.

Partying and getting drunk when youve just been given a winning lottery ticket of a contract is an act of ill discipline and at worst bad advice from those around him. Its what all 18 year olds want to do, but if you're a pro footballer need to decline. Even he admits once he got the contract he took it for granted and stopped working hard. He literally says it in the interview!

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I’ve read a lot of mental shite on the forum over the years, I’ve even gone back and read the WWE thread Kev The Ape started.

However the notion that a teenager living away from home and earning tens of thousands of pounds a week must have been bullied in to drinking and partying is probably the biggest crock of horseshit yet. Go to any pub in Sussex tonight and there will be young lads drinking themselves silly and shovelling a load of Peruvian wallop up their snozz. Uni students spend the entire first year drinking, sniffing horse tranquilliser and trying to get their willy wet. Is that all because somebody called their shelf stacking or scaffolding shit on Twitter?

If anything I’m surprised it doesn’t happen way more often in such a public manner. If I had almost unlimited money fall in to my lap age 18 along with the pulling power that comes with being a professional footballer then I’d have died with no sternum and 17 kids before I was 25. FACT.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Still some confusion perhaps (the public, players themselves, their mates) over whether footballers are true "athletes". You wouldn't see a track athlete out on the piss regularly? But it seems sometimes it's still acceptable for a footballer. Which is rather stupid. So many v Good players could have been Great players if it wasn't for the booze. Bit obvious I know.

I hope AC has a good career from now on, anyway.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
In what sense was I wrong? Is he ugly? Up to anyone to decide. Is he a shite footballer who will "play in the National League" when his Brighton contract runs out? No, last season he scored 8 goals in one of the ten best leagues in the world. Is he an idiot? Clearly not, he's done more self-reflecting in 24 years than the OAPs here are capable of after a lifetime of learning. Does he have a shite attitude? No, he understands his problems and wants to improve. What the f*** was I wrong about?

The thing happening here is the same thing always happening with British footballers:

1. Player scores a couple of goals and is labelled the new Jesus with people lifting him to the skies.
2. Player has a couple of bad months and was labelled the worst shit that had ever played in the team.
3. Player reacts to this treatment either by massively struggling or becoming some sort of untouchable diva

Happens over and over and over again, with no one looking in the mirror and everyone looking at the next young kid to push under the water,
Keep digging, and doubling down.

Its not the fault of anyone on NSC if Connolly had little self control and f**ked up his Brighton career.

If I went out tonight, got smashed and turned up to work and underperformed, they'd bin me off too.

It's not your fault if I do that, nor is society to blame.

People need to take some personal responsibility for their own actions and grow up a bit, not all misdemeanour or drunken behavior is alcohol addiction.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
There's an interesting interview with Nile Ranger on the beeb at the moment.
In particular our CH demanding his friends leave Newcastle.
Ranger couldn't be helped. Gazza couldn't be helped. The Arsenal lot just about turned it around.
It's nothing to do with social media.
Fair play to AC. He's at a great club. This is really brave from him. Makes him a very marked man (a good thing, no hiding) and if he has the right people around him, or at least doesn't have the wrong people around him, he'll do just fine. But he has to want it.

Last edited:

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Keep digging, and doubling down.

Its not the fault of anyone on NSC if Connolly had little self control and f**ked up his Brighton career.

If I went out tonight, got smashed and turned up to work and underperformed, they'd bin me off too.

It's not your fault if I do that, nor is society to blame.

People need to take some personal responsibility for their own actions and grow up a bit, not all misdemeanour or drunken behavior is alcohol addiction.
Well, we have different views on the impact society has on how people live their lives then.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

On point 7, you seem to struggle with the concept that Brighton is a small place, and that having mutual friends with players and meeting them is a pretty common occurrence.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

On point 7, one thing you really seem to struggle with the concept is that Brighton is a relatively small place. People have mutual friends, regularly come across players in town / out, especially our younger players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here