Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - joining Hull permanently

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's not exactly an unrelated coincidence that we have in last 5 years moved to long term strategy of having a few older wise heads in the squad re Lallana, Welbeck, Milner etc- we didn't have this 5 years ago when it went wrong for AC

Sometimes in life there is just no substitute to learning the hard way - its what makes his message for others now more powerful
Yeah we did, he had……….Shane Duffy 😳

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I came here to say the same…! Not sure drink driving Shane Duffy was the best mentor

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Been talking about his 'problem' brave to speak out and get help.

I know it will be rubbished as tosh on here but have it on very good authority that he has been the cause of a few issues with a member of our current front line. Who also has a similar issue by all accounts.

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I know it will be rubbished as tosh on here but have it on very good authority that he has been the cause of a few issues with a member of our current front line. Who also has a similar issue by all accounts.
Hmm. I’m guessing someone from similar background. Really hope that isn’t true.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Firstly, that's not proven, and secondly, even if I believed it to be true I wouldn't share it on a public forum.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
FML does anyone on here KNOW that Duffy was in some way responsible for the welfare of Connelly? Or is it just because they are both Irish?

The levels of speculation on here are ridiculous even by NSC standards.

It is not the club’s responsibility to control the social life of an adult player. Does your employer know what you do in your spare time? Are they responsible for you once you leave for the day?

Too much, too young. Got in with the wrong crowd. It’s an age old story, and will continue through the ages.

Good luck to him at Sunderland.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Isn’t it ? Videos like this crop up all the time.
These days the harder thing seems to be quietly getting on with addressing the problem and having the fortitude to see it through.

I'm not quite sure how to respond . . . But silence is not the answer

quietly getting on ends in tears.

or death.

or both.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I'm not quite sure how to respond . . . But silence is not the answer

quietly getting on ends in tears.

or death.

or both.
Men opening up to people close to them isnt just a good thing, it is literally a life saver. Like you say.
I’m talking about people in the public eye doing interviews like this. I have mixed feelings about it. To be clear, I like Aaron Connolly, and wish him the very best.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It's not exactly an unrelated coincidence that we have in last 5 years moved to long term strategy of having a few older wise heads in the squad re Lallana, Welbeck, Milner etc- we didn't have this 5 years ago when it went wrong for AC

Sometimes in life there is just no substitute to learning the hard way - its what makes his message for others now more powerful
You saying Shane Duffy wasn't a good influence?

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
FML does anyone on here KNOW that Duffy was in some way responsible for the welfare of Connelly? Or is it just because they are both Irish?

The levels of speculation on here are ridiculous even by NSC standards.

It is not the club’s responsibility to control the social life of an adult player. Does your employer know what you do in your spare time? Are they responsible for you once you leave for the day?

Too much, too young. Got in with the wrong crowd. It’s an age old story, and will continue through the ages.

Connolly made a comment when he was struggling that ‘Shane Duffy had taken him under his wing’. I remember reading it and thinking well that’s going to end well.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The maturity and self-insight in that interview. Never judge a book and all that. Really articulate young man. Good luck to you AC.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Been talking about his 'problem' brave to speak out and get help.

And a small part of me thinks the Albion’s HR Dept and GP for that matter could have been a bit more proactive.

The club have a network of local families were young players stay, maybe more should have been done to keep him in that process for his own good, rather than effectively turn him loose, with a large amount of dough in his pocket.

Superb that he’s now in a position to make a video like this, and ultimately help others. 👍

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I hope he does make an effort to sort himself out this time. He said similar when he went to Venice, albeit without the alcohol comments, and little seemed to change.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Of course it wasn't, what rubbish! It was more to do with repeated - and generally fairly well substantiated - reports that both, how shall we put it? - liked to work hard and play hard.
Yes, I'm sure any reasonable person would agree with that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here