Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A nod to Aston Villa

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Very weird thread. They have essentially bought their way into that position, spent tonnes of money and only sold grealish for a while. Emery is a good manager, but I don't respect what villa are doing at all
They’ve sold Moussa Diaby for about £50m a season after buying him for about £50m #flop

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I’m as impressed with their medical team as I am with their manager, how many of their best players get long term injuries?

If we signed Ollie Watkins he’d probably get a long term injury in his first game for us

I despise Villa btw so as impressive as their result was I am not congratulating them
Actually they have had some bad injuries - Mings, Buendia, Diego Carlos and Kamara have all had really bad, long term injuries over the last year missing a lot of football. Mings hasn’t played since the first game of last season and he’s their captain. Cash has missed most of this season and McGinn is out for a while plus they’ve currently got a few other first teamers likely to miss today.

The difference is Emery never moans about it like most PL managers do. I’m not particularly enjoying their success and won’t ever join in a Villa love in but he’s just an outstanding manager.

But Brighton’s luck with injuries is no worse than the majority of other PL teams, they’ve all struggled over the last season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Can't say I like Villa but I will admit the Holte end is the best kop in the country (so must be rocking these days) and Unai Emery is a proven, fantastic manager - one of the best in the world.

I will of course laugh my tits off when it all goes wrong eventually. Hopefully by Emery going to Man Utd in a year or so and somehow making both clubs worse.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Head for head they aren’t much better than us, they have a winning mentality installed into them by the manager and they find a way to win unfortunately we don’t at the moment and give up in the second half of games if it’s not going our way.

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
I know this is not usually a "thing" but I feel it worth congratulating Aston Villa and Unai Emery for their great result the other night.
Whilst Brighton got most of the attention when RDZ joined Unai was quietly improving his Villa team. No massive signings, or at least by today's standards, in a fact a squad of players whom I, when put on the spot, failed to name one. Last season when RDZ took his eye off the ball and allowed our team to slowly fall down the league, AV were going the other way up to 4th, whilst becoming a bogie team for us.

Here's hoping FH quickly adapts tactics according to the opposition and can help us at least match Villa in the next 2 years.

UTA!
Villa should have been relegated a couple of years ago. Mysteriously, goal line technology didn't work that day or VAR. They wouldn't be where they are now had that goal be correctly given! Still they have assembled a good squad and got a decent manager.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Emery has done a great job, but they're still an incredibly unlikeable club.
Huge transfer spending and "Game-management" is a big part of their success, similar to Arsenal.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I quite like them. I like Emery as a manager and after the shit he got as Arsenal manager, I am quite glad he’s getting to bite back a bit. Being Scottish I love McGinn as well (I know that’s an unpopular opinion 🤣)

I’d rather it was us upsetting the big 6 apple cart and beating Bayern, but I am not unhappy that Villa are the ones doing it where we can’t.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I still think excluding top 2 the outstanding manager is Brentfords. With us spending £200m we will not be seen as big achievers by finishing in top 8.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Met a strange fan at the Ladies games v Villa on Saturday. American by birth he spends 6 months of the year in the UK and follows the Villa Ladies home and away. Never been to a mens game. Complained that Villa were ripping off their fans charging £100 for tickets to the CL game, same as he paid for a season ticket to watch the ladies at Villa Park.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I still think excluding top 2 the outstanding manager is Brentfords. With us spending £200m we will not be seen as big achievers by finishing in top 8.
We are still in the green aren't we ? Big sales galore. We are up there with Brentford as biggest achievers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here