Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 47 year old tagger fined £2000... YES!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
47 and tagging?!

What a complete aerosol

Reminds me of the Not the Nine O’clock News chemist gag:

Customer: I would like some deodorant please.
Assistant: Ball or aerosol?
Customer: Neither, it’s for my armpits.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I have to confess that I love graffiti and there are some bloody wonderful examples in Brighton.

The remarkable Alice in Wonderland in the Lanes, the music legends on the Prince Albert, all manner of stuff in the road behind the old Argus building (name of street escapes me) and the most recent addition on the hoardings in New Road of "Black Trans Lives Matter". Then you have the art on the telecoms boxes and under the station bridge at top of Trafalgar Street and many other places besides.

They add colour and vibrancy. Rather see derelict, boarded up buildings brought to life by these very skilled artists. Let's not forget that Banksy is no more than a graffiti artist!

And then morons come along and tag over stuff that I consider to be art. They are just scum and have no artistic talent so they decide to destroy the work of others.

When the Council says it is going to war against graffiti I hope they mean moronic taggers and not the skilled artists that brighten up the city centre.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I have to confess that I love graffiti and there are some bloody wonderful examples in Brighton.

The remarkable Alice in Wonderland in the Lanes, the music legends on the Prince Albert, all manner of stuff in the road behind the old Argus building (name of street escapes me) and the most recent addition on the hoardings in New Road of "Black Trans Lives Matter". Then you have the art on the telecoms boxes and under the station bridge at top of Trafalgar Street and many other places besides.

They add colour and vibrancy. Rather see derelict, boarded up buildings brought to life by these very skilled artists. Let's not forget that Banksy is no more than a graffiti artist!

And then morons come along and tag over stuff that I consider to be art. They are just scum and have no artistic talent so they decide to destroy the work of others.

When the Council says it is going to war against graffiti I hope they mean moronic taggers and not the skilled artists that brighten up the city centre.

The main target is taggers but also anyone who sprays "a piece" on someone's wall without permission.

Jul 20, 2003

A couple of months ago a mural went up on the side of GAK, a few days later it was defaced. https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/18484288.brighton-graffiti-tagger-vandalises-gak-art-north-road/

tronnogull

May 17, 2010

Maybe we should have a poll on this.

To me, any graffiti is mindless vandalism. Spraying paint on some one else's property without their permission is simply a crime. ( It is of course different if it is with permission and complies with by laws.)

Even the more artistic vandalism is a problem because it encourages less talented folks and taggers.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
As long as it is done legally and with permission, I have no problem with graffiti. I've actually stood and watched a few pieces being done in Brighton many years back (believe they were allowed to spray fences that went up around building sites near the station at one point). Some of them have some serious talent if you take the time to watch how they go about their art.

And, in some circumstances, I have no problem with it being done technically illegally / without permission as well. In this case, though, it needs to be more than art. It needs to be a significant statement, a protest, something designed to send a message. So for me Banksy gets a pass on most of his work, whether done legally or not.

But taggers? They can F right off. There's no art, nor significant message, in replicating the same tag all over the place. Especially when it defaces someone else's far better work.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
As long as it is done legally and with permission, I have no problem with graffiti. I've actually stood and watched a few pieces being done in Brighton many years back (believe they were allowed to spray fences that went up around building sites near the station at one point). Some of them have some serious talent if you take the time to watch how they go about their art.

And, in some circumstances, I have no problem with it being done technically illegally / without permission as well. In this case, though, it needs to be more than art. It needs to be a significant statement, a protest, something designed to send a message. So for me Banksy gets a pass on most of his work, whether done legally or not.

But taggers? They can F right off. There's no art, nor significant message, in replicating the same tag all over the place. Especially when it defaces someone else's far better work.

Yes I agree about tagging, it's often vindictive as demonstrated by the example you give of ruining a graffiti piece that they are incapable of doing. The permission aspect is a problem; about a year ago a huge mural appeared on the gable end of an 18th century alms house down by the level. It wasn't a great piece and it was done without permission, and I reckon that a 250 year old listed building deserves a bit of respect.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
At last, a decent fine and plenty of publicity so the other taggers can see what's waiting for them if they get caught.

Now lets catch some more of the.scum

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Yes I agree about tagging, it's often vindictive as demonstrated by the example you give of ruining a graffiti piece that they are incapable of doing. The permission aspect is a problem; about a year ago a huge mural appeared on the gable end of an 18th century alms house down by the level. It wasn't a great piece and it was done without permission, and I reckon that a 250 year old listed building deserves a bit of respect.

Agreed

Acceptable ...
Quality artwork done with permission of the owner and conforming to any local/conservation rules

Unacceptable....
All tagging, graffiti without consent of the owner, offensive or in breach of any local rules.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
63crystalpalacebus2702a.jpg

There are some exceptions :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here