Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4-1 up and thousands of fans leave before the final whistel. Disgusting.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
My take on fans leaving early:
Those whom are old and mobility restricted - fair enough
Those got to work shortly after final whistle - fair enough
Those travelling a long way - fair enough
Those with children - fair.....hang on a second! No grow some balls and stop pandering to the little dears. You're the reason for the govt.criticism last weekend (a generation of wet, me me me types)

Everyone else, including people who've got a takeaway booked for 6.30pm....MAN UP, SUPPORT TIL THE FINAL WHISTLE AND SHAME ON YOU FOR LEAVING EARLY!!

Problem with the above is that, on saturday's evidence, most of our support are grandparents with a bar-job outside of sussex whom also look after their grandchildren each weekend. So they all have legitimate reasons to leave early - I guess we have to live with it fellow UBER-FANS!!!

PS I reserve the right to leave early if we play p*** poor (AGAIN) against the infidels. I just can't take it, I can't, we shouldn't have to, please Gus, make the team turn up for once..... :(

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I must admit I leave early but as close to the final whistle as possible trying to coincide with someone near me leaving at the same time so as not to disturb too many people around me.

I do this as experience has shown me that missing a couple of minutes at the end saves me a 45min queue for the bus.

Sorry

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
My brother always want to be peering over the highest stair on the leaving stairs when it comes to the final whistle so that we can leg it for trains and be on the first one out of there. I imagine he thinks of offering the players one single applaud to warrant their efforts. I don't let it happen. He can leave if he wants to, but i'll be stood there to clap off the players for a bit of a session, before absolutely sprinting down to the train queues. I'm normally on the second one out so i'm not suffering by waiting 10 minutes for a wagon back to Brighton. I was back home in London for about 7 on Saturday, and i don't see that as bad timing at all.
There does seem to be a determination to be the first to something all over place at present, to be competitive and anxious. I am trying to escape that way of being as it seems to take such effort.

You need to look at your own "fans" before having a dig at ours.

Last season you had a bring a pikey for a £1 at Selhurst vs Reading - you got over 20k and with the score at 0-0 "thousands were streaming out with 10 minutes to go". It's on the BBS if you care to look it up.

You really are touchy about all things Palace eh Major? Where did I have a dig? Look, as much as I hate Brighton I was happy for the true BHA fans when you got Falmer after all you do have some real fans who would go thro thick and thin with the club.

I stand by what I said there are thousands who simply aren't real BHA fans,and will melt quickly soon enough, Kids and families who are there for the good times.
Anyway have you worked out those 80 odd years average attendance yet?:D

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You really are touchy about all things Palace eh Major? Where did I have a dig? Look, as much as I hate Brighton I was happy for the true BHA fans when you got Falmer after all you do have some real fans who would go thro thick and thin with the club.

I stand by what I said there are thousands who simply aren't real BHA fans,and will melt quickly soon enough, Kids and families who are there for the good times.

What is a 'real' BHA fan? How do you account for 10,000 kids in Gully's gang?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Yes we probably have attracted a few thousand extra 'not real fans'. But we can't begin to compare with you (I think [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] has the stat), what was it over fifty thousand one match and within a year under five thousand. So why bang on about plastics when your lot are king of the plastics?

Yes we probably have attracted a few thousand extra 'not real fans'. But we can't begin to compare with you (I think [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] has the stat), what was it over fifty thousand one match and within a year under five thousand. So why bang on about plastics when your lot are king of the plastics?

This one?

1979 Palace v Burnley Att: 51,700
1984 Palace v Wimbledon Att: 4,005

Four and a half years and just one relegation in that time, and the gate drops by 47,700.

Nobody does Plastic like palace.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Oh what in god fishfingers is this? One fan isn't better than the next. Some may spend more time, spend more money, been fans longer, but does that make them 'real fans' where someone who goes and spends his money each home game, claps the team and goes home isn't 'real'? What a load of tosh.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Not true.

There are thousands of lapsed or nearly lapsed Albion fans who have very much got back into the habit of going along to see live football again.

Those who sling the "where were they at Withdean?" mud just don't get what a largely miserable experience football supporting was at times for far more years than should ever have been the case. c5000 souls sitting on the elaborate bit of Meccano that was the roofless South Stand, often getting soaked through to the bone. Coupled with that, it was often thought by many that tickets couldn't be obtained - that every game was a sellout.

To compliment the returnees, there are also undoubtedly a group of people who are now becoming Albion fans. I'm not sure how, when or where people qualify for what you call "real fan" status, but I think a large number now are, with some still making that journey.

I can understand why many Palace fans don't get it - the difference between a matchday at the Amex and one at Selhurst Park is vast. Like it or not, modern football does involve delivering a good all-round experience. The Albion have made a great effort to do that and continue to tweak things to try and improve. If Palace are to thrive, they'll have to do the same. Should they manage it, presumably you will then be mocking all those who have jumped on the CPFC bandwagon and who are not real fans. Can you confirm?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Oh what in god fishfingers is this? One fan isn't better than the next. Some may spend more time, spend more money, been fans longer, but does that make them 'real fans' where someone who goes and spends his money each home game, claps the team and goes home isn't 'real'? What a load of tosh.

I agree. But there are different categories of fans. Some will be newer, some older, some less committed, some more committed. All valuable and none 'better' than the other. I was stating the point in terms our palace friend would understand. This was the point of reference that HE made and why I put 'not real fans' in quotation marks.

rowtnorthstand

Nov 25, 2012
Shoreham By Sea
I can't believe how many so-called fans left well before the end of the game today. And the North Stand was as bad as anywhere.

Call yourselves real fans? You're pathetic.

In 55 years of supporting the Albion I have never once left a game before the end.

The players deserve a full stadium to applaud them off the pitch after a win like that.

It wasn't a full stadium from what i could see........................

Dec 18, 2003
Haywards Heath
My post was not aimed at occasional early leavers as per your example. I've had to get away sharpish myself before, I have no problem with that. My point is about the people who leave EVERY week, on 80 minutes, in their THOUSANDS. And if people aren't that bothered by football why are they paying c£40 a month to go?

Being a STH implies you care about the team enough to go every week, its not a passing interest but a deep passion. I'm not saying football is all that matters, of course not - but why pay all that money to regularly only see 85% of a game?

Your point about watching a film/play etc doesn't make sense btw - a game is not the same as the week before, its not 'the same film every other week for 20 years'. Its different every week so that's a silly analogy.

I'm not claiming to be a super fan or saying that anyone owes anything to bhafc, you're completely missing the point - my point is if you pay, why not watch it all? If you feel entitled to leave on 80 mins why not go on 75? Why not 70? Why not at half time? Why not decline to come at all? It doesn't make sense as a regular occurrence. We all have other stuff going on, shooting off bang on the final whistle because you've got somewhere to be is fair enough. Leaving every week with 10 mins left is stupid and doesn't make sense. That's all.

Exactly this!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here