Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 2.Bundesliga farce

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
Even if the player who picked up the ball saw it clearly, believed it to be a clear and obvious foul and the ref was about to give it (anticipating it being given) so picked up as absolutely convinced the ref was awarding it (the commentary even said they believed it to be a foul)

The problem for the player was that the ref hadn't yet signaled a break in play by blowing his whistle, and by picking it up too early he committed a worse offense that led to the penalty award instead of the free kick the ref was likely about to award.

If that incident was 20 yards further up the pitch, would the ref award the initial free kick or a free kick from where the hand ball was committed (i bet it could be either, depending on the ref, and they wouldn't all be giving one outcome only, but likely some would use the spot the foul was and others the spot of the hand ball for the free kick position)
We'll wait and see what, if anything, happens off the back of these incidents. Personally, I look at both as being highly suspicious. It might just be a coincidence that they happened in such a short period of time but I've been a fraud investigator in my distant past and my nose is highly tuned to a tale which seems a little too colourful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here