Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 2.Bundesliga farce

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Can understand the second one, as watching thought the ref had awarded a free kick for the foul.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Both are bizarre. Even if they are misunderstandings, you'd still use your FOOT to stop the ball both times rather than bend down and use your hands.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This isn't a farce; it's just brain farts by the two players. What's the ref supposed to do other than correctly award the pens?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
This isn't a farce; it's just brain farts by the two players. What's the ref supposed to do other than correctly award the pens?
The ref got the decisions right. The players actions were farcical, especially the first one.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes. Need to examine betting patterns on this game very closely

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
first one as it is so daft could be a simple misundertanding. the second is out of normal behaviour, more likely to play the ball away. shenanigans.

Last edited:

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
First looks lke a brain fart and thinks he's supposed to take the goal kick, second is that he thinks foul has been given

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
When it comes to slapstick blunders Bundesliga 2 is in a...well, league of its own. Nothing really new. The Duisburg keeper taking a drink in the back of his net with his back to play whilst the oppostion scored is one standout incident that comes to mind. Nothing to see from a betting angle. I'm sure there are more subtle ways of match fixing than what happened here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wouldn’t happen in Germany

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
I am 100% not buying either of them. The first one maybe is dubious, but the second one is absolutely not an accident/brain fart. It's ridiculous and the reporting has very much been, "look at how obviously dodgy this is - but we'll report it as being comedy errors to highlight it and let the chips fall where they may".

Bans incoming, pending investigations. I look forward to this being bounced in probably 3/4 months' time.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I am 100% not buying either of them. The first one maybe is dubious, but the second one is absolutely not an accident/brain fart. It's ridiculous and the reporting has very much been, "look at how obviously dodgy this is - but we'll report it as being comedy errors to highlight it and let the chips fall where they may".

Bans incoming, pending investigations. I look forward to this being bounced in probably 3/4 months' time.
Is it not just a case of the player forcing the referee to make a decision over what the player thought was a clear foul (in the same way a lot of players will grab the ball if they fall over in order to force the ref to make a decision, usually in their favour) however it went wrong and unfortunately for the player, the ref gave a penalty for the handball rather than the free kick that the player thought would happen?

EDIT - Re-watched on a bigger screen and saw it was the defender who fouled the attacker and not the attacker fouling the defender as i first thought (hence the reference to the player forcing the ref to make a decision - not editing original post only as others have already quoted it)

Probably now a case of the defender who picked up the ball thinking the foul was being awarded, accepting it as a foul and attempting to collect the ball and return it to the spot of the free kick, just unfortunately for him, he did that before the ref had actually whistled the play dead and therefore committed a worse offense and the award of a penalty as a result.

Last edited:

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
Is it not just a case of the player forcing the referee to make a decision over what the player thought was a clear foul (in the same way a lot of players will grab the ball if they fall over in order to force the ref to make a decision, usually in their favour) however it went wrong and unfortunately for the player, the ref gave a penalty for the handball rather than the free kick that the player thought would happen?
Absolutely not in this case, no. The first one you can debate it, because as someone else said - it's an action which isn't totally out of place but the second one is blatant. It's not a natural action and it's not something anyone would reasonably do. You won't even see that in non-league football.

R-C GULL POSTS

Mar 31, 2019
I'm sure i recall Grant Horscroft doing the same at The Goldstone, i think he thought the ball was being passed to him for to take a free kick but that was the actual free kick being taken.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Why would the defender be wishing to force the referee to make a decision? The only decision he would be forced to make was a) it was a foul and free-kick which would not benefit the defending team, or b) no foul - in which case the defender wouldn't need to do anything except play the ball.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Absolutely not in this case, no. The first one you can debate it, because as someone else said - it's an action which isn't totally out of place but the second one is blatant. It's not a natural action and it's not something anyone would reasonably do. You won't even see that in non-league football.
Even if the player who picked up the ball saw it clearly, believed it to be a clear and obvious foul and the ref was about to give it (anticipating it being given) so picked up as absolutely convinced the ref was awarding it (the commentary even said they believed it to be a foul)

The problem for the player was that the ref hadn't yet signaled a break in play by blowing his whistle, and by picking it up too early he committed a worse offense that led to the penalty award instead of the free kick the ref was likely about to award.

If that incident was 20 yards further up the pitch, would the ref award the initial free kick or a free kick from where the hand ball was committed (i bet it could be either, depending on the ref, and they wouldn't all be giving one outcome only, but likely some would use the spot the foul was and others the spot of the hand ball for the free kick position)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Why would the defender be wishing to force the referee to make a decision? The only decision he would be forced to make was a) it was a foul and free-kick which would not benefit the defending team, or b) no foul - in which case the defender wouldn't need to do anything except play the ball.
Rewatched it on a bigger screen now and it's the defender that committed the foul, not the attacker as i thought originally.
However my later post reflects this and it could be that the defender thought the foul was being given so picked up up to return it for that free kick, but the fact that the ref had still not whistled, meant that a later infringement occurred and the ref awarded that one and a penalty instead of the original foul

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here