Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Zonal marking v Man marking at set pieces

Yoda

English & European
We have defenders that LOVE to man mark, asking them to do different is asking for trouble.

I can see where it fits in with Potter philosophy though as with man marking, IF we get it right (though don't more often) the players are in the correct areas to break. But like I've said, we've got players that (as far as I'm aware) never been asked to do it previously so is asking for trouble.

Yoda

English & European
Ben White ducked the first goal, and Dunk missed a bread and butter header for the second.

Absolutely nothing to do with the system used. Individual mistakes.

Dunk's missed a bread and butter header BECAUSE of the zonal marking. He's hardly got off the ground due to his standing position from marking zonally.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Why do you put four centre backs on the pitch to defend exactly that and then have them standing still in each others' way? Poor header from Dunk but White is stood still like a school boy.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
And it's every sodding week. You can forgive the odd game or two but not that regularly. I hope no one's suggesting White and Dunk aren't good enough for the Prem???

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Lessons learned?

Good post, I like to see facts brought into these discussions.

And a very sobering (and scary) stats. So it does seem Mr. Potter carries this long term Achilles heel with him from club to club.

Someone in the match thread made a very interesting suggestion that we should bring in a defensive coach. I hope the club would be open to exploring that sort of idea.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Nothing wrong with Zonal marking at all.

But when individual players let the manager down and make mistakes like White did for both goals and Dunk did for the second (and has done a number of times this season), there’s not a lot the manager can do.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
And it's every sodding week. You can forgive the odd game or two but not that regularly. I hope no one's suggesting White and Dunk aren't good enough for the Prem???

Unfortunately, some Potter apologist have said just that! It seems clear to me that there is such a weak underbelly to our team that matches managers mentality. Both Dunk and White are quality but currently seem to be devoid of confidence. Potter has managed to suck the confidence out of both ends of the pitch!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

And a very sobering (and scary) stats. So it does seem Mr. Potter carries this long term Achilles heel with him from club to club.

Someone in the match thread made a very interesting suggestion that we should bring in a defensive coach. I hope the club would be open to exploring that sort of idea.

We could also bring in a striker coach for the misfires in front of goal, leaving Potter free to tell the midfield to play it back to Dunk?

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Am I the only one who thinks Welbeck should’ve won the first free header?! I actually think he disrupts Dunk’s attempt.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Dunk's missed a bread and butter header BECAUSE of the zonal marking. He's hardly got off the ground due to his standing position from marking zonally.

I can’t believe you’re blaming that **** up on zonal marking!! He didn’t need to jump! It was just a massive **** up on Dunk’s part (and then also from White), there’s no justification for it. Dunk’s been doing this all season, he’s had a shocker.

I honestly think Dunk could get away with murder on here though.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

The team let in massive amounts on corners back with CH as well, what was the reason then? Since the players, except for a few of them, never have any responsibility for anything. Obviously zonal marking makes it impossible to jump and head the ball away, so what was the percieved issue back then? "Omgg, our players jump too high and head the ball away too often, got to go over to zonal!!"?

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Jesus! [emoji2357]

Dunk could **** the partner of everyone on this site and you’d all tell him to do it again!

Don’t get me wrong, Dunk does poorly there but Welbeck has the first attempt at it doesn’t he?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On tbe plus side the chances of Dunk or White dying of dementia are low.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I am thinking of becoming a coach. In preparation I would have instructed one of the defenders that it was his job to make sure Soucek one the best from corners doesnt get a free header

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
The team let in massive amounts on corners back with CH as well, what was the reason then? Since the players, except for a few of them, never have any responsibility for anything. Obviously zonal marking makes it impossible to jump and head the ball away, so what was the percieved issue back then? "Omgg, our players jump too high and head the ball away too often, got to go over to zonal!!"?

I seem to remember we defended and attacked from set pieces well when Calderwood was Hughton's number 2. Dunk was banging a few in from set pieces back then as well.

Shows what influence a good defensive coach can have.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006

Bruno is the defensive coach is he not?

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007

I’ve seen this comment about set pieces under Hughton a few times but never seen any evidence to back it up. Not sure it’s correct.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here