Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zavvi sale from Friday 9am

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I guess thats why they don't seem to have shifted very many.
Honestly, I was walking round their store FALLING OVER the things. They were stacked EVERYWHERE.

Mowgli

Sep 18, 2008
Brighton
Went in there the other day with my mate, he got £60 worth of dvd's for £28, heck one of the things he bought was a Ghost in the Shell boxset that was marked at £28 so he got a pretty sweet deal :thumbsup:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The thing with these 'deals' is you end up spending money/buying things you wouldn't have bought otherwise, in the belief "it's a deal". Unless you go in for a specific thing that you wanted anyway, it's really a false economy.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
EXACTLY. Whats the point of a massive "clearance sale" when they're still charging over the odds for most of their stuff ? Useless bastards, no wonder they're going under.

Their whole business model was based on ripping (clueless) people off.

Why would anyone shop there when everything in the store is available cheaper (often much cheaper) online?

f*** 'em. They deserve to fold.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Their whole business model was based on ripping (clueless) people off.

Why would anyone shop there when everything in the store is available cheaper (often much cheaper) online?

f*** 'em. They deserve to fold.

I don't often shop online, even though (as you say), you can pick up bargains even cheaper than the stores most of the time. But I just like SEEING something in a shop, picking it up, touching it caressing it, savouring it, then finally BUYING it. Its somehow more satisfying than pointing and clicking on a screen.

But I don't think I ever bought a THING at Zavvi. Prices in there are ALWAYS dearer than elsewhere (but still presented as a "sale/clearance" item). And you have to go up an extra flight of stairs to get to all the DVD's. Bollocks to all that. HMV is across the mall, all on one level, and cheap as chips.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I don't often shop online, even though (as you say), you can pick up bargains even cheaper than the stores most of the time. But I just like SEEING something in a shop, picking it up, touching it caressing it, savouring it, then finally BUYING it. Its somehow more satisfying than pointing and clicking on a screen.

Well I like stuff flying through the letterbox - especially when it's half the price I would have paid from a shop the day before. :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
HMV is across the mall, all on one level, and cheap as chips.

Quite. Virgin/Zaavi suffered massively from that. It was easy-peasy to nip across from one to t'other and compare prices. and HMV invariably won. Also a big fan of HMV's utterly random display of cheap and interesting books that you never see anywhere else :thumbsup:

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Zavvi/Virgin has always seemed overpriced to me. That also seems to apply to quite a lot of other virgin brands. They really do seem to use the brand to justify charging more than other competitors.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Anyone know how long the Churchill Square Zavvi is going to stay open for?

And what will replace it?

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Anyone know how long the Churchill Square Zavvi is going to stay open for?

And what will replace it?

I don't think it's going to close, at least not at the moment. This administration might be more like a football club administration where they will be back in full business in a while just a bit leaner and with less debts.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I went in at the weekend, and it was just a normal looking sale. Plenty of impressive looking posters in the window, but within minutes I was sick of muttering, "That's still expensive" and "It as surely NEVER that price" and was walking out having bought nothing.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Zavvi/Virgin has always seemed overpriced to me. That also seems to apply to quite a lot of other virgin brands. They really do seem to use the brand to justify charging more than other competitors.

I seem to remember that Zavvi no longer belongs to virgin - branson sold it off about a year ago.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I popped in there today. They had a lot of blu ray discs reduced to £15, plus 10% off all marked prices. Which works out cheaper than pre-order online.

I was quite tempted, but the problem with blu ray is the films that are out I either don't want or have on dvd and the current price is far too much to spend upgrading my dvd collection, especially in the current climate.

To whoever asked, there's a sign up saying they no longer accept gift vouchers, and don't do refunds either.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Went in last week - SOME of the stuff is dirt cheap. A lot of it is still relatively expensive though. Weird - worth having a look though

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Hardly suprising they've folded really given the online trends these days. I got a wii fit from there on 23rd december for a christmas present for 70 squids. I was reliably informed this was a good deal as they were pretty hard to get hold of.

I Love Peering At My Screen Identifying Something I Never Knew I Wanted, Desired, To Be Loved, Ordering It And Having It Arrive Lovingly, Slotting Through My Open Box.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I have indulged quite a bit in the zavvi collapse.

I've always preferred HMV to Zavvi but over the past 3 years I've bought almost exlusively from play.com (they are ALWAYS going to be cheaper as they are Jersey based therefore dodge certain taxes as I understand it).

I went in to Zavvi on Christmas Eve and bought 2 Blu Ray's for £25 compared to £30 in HMV.

After Christmas I bought a few more bits, the 'Spaced' boxset (both series) for £7.99, The Assasination of Jesse James (bit of a gamble as never seen it before) for £3.99 and The Big Lebowski for £1.99

The HMV sale didn't have as much in it and certainly not at the prices seen in zavvi, HMV were more heavy on the '3 for £20' deals.

My wife came home with Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Madagascar and Little Miss Sunshine all picked up for under £15 in zavvi.

I've never liked the store but I would certainly recommend poking your head in if you're after some new films to watch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here