Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zamora "Too tired"

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The club will never admit it but I think you will find that BZ has had a degenerative injury problem for some time. Hence his previous recent clubs have also wrapped him up ' in cotton wool ' and not overstretched him, getting the maximum possible out of him, over a season.
It is no different to how we handled Simon Morgan, a few years back. He couldn't even train after games. His knee would blow-up for 3-4 days and we would ' wheel him out ' on match days. Wayne Bridge was similar. Patched up and strapped up, Poyet knew it was his last decent season and made the most of it. He was finished at Reading and only played a handful of games. Ledley King and Paul McGrath were other high profile players who couldn't even train between games but because of their importance, they were nursed along and treated differently from others.
BZ has that touch of class that can turn games. He has to be nursed and protected and brought along carefully and tactically. The club knew all this before they signed him but they knew he could be an influence.
Overplaying BZ will result in losing him for a number of games. Another striker should have been brought in during the window, to ease the burden and allow for the loss of Hemed and Baldock through injury/suspension. I wonder if we will rue the decision not to gamble financially on Vydra and that will be Reading's gain. His pace, on the counter-attack, would have been ideal for us and we know he is a proven goalscorer at this level.

Throw Upson into that as well. He used to swim as opposed to train.

Feb 14, 2010
The club will never admit it but I think you will find that BZ has had a degenerative injury problem for some time. Hence his previous recent clubs have also wrapped him up ' in cotton wool ' and not overstretched him, getting the maximum possible out of him, over a season.
It is no different to how we handled Simon Morgan, a few years back. He couldn't even train after games. His knee would blow-up for 3-4 days and we would ' wheel him out ' on match days. Wayne Bridge was similar. Patched up and strapped up, Poyet knew it was his last decent season and made the most of it. He was finished at Reading and only played a handful of games. Ledley King and Paul McGrath were other high profile players who couldn't even train between games but because of their importance, they were nursed along and treated differently from others.
BZ has that touch of class that can turn games. He has to be nursed and protected and brought along carefully and tactically. The club knew all this before they signed him but they knew he could be an influence.
Overplaying BZ will result in losing him for a number of games. Another striker should have been brought in during the window, to ease the burden and allow for the loss of Hemed and Baldock through injury/suspension. I wonder if we will rue the decision not to gamble financially on Vydra and that will be Reading's gain. His pace, on the counter-attack, would have been ideal for us and we know he is a proven goalscorer at this level.

This is a proper explanation but if correct then I hope we are not paying him too much or we have him on a pay as you play deal.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'm surprised people are bothering to give this tit(WCP) an explanation. If he is offended by my post then good because most of his posts are shit.

Feb 14, 2010
I'm surprised people are bothering to give this tit(WCP) an explanation. If he is offended by my post then good because most of his posts are shit.

You dont have the ability to offend, but if you resort to insults then you show yourself up. You have the right to think whatever you want. The fact is that we a forward who, so someone says is crocked. I have no idea if he is right but if so then it's not great.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
You dont have the ability to offend, but if you resort to insults then you show yourself up. You have the right to think whatever you want. The fact is that we a forward who, so someone says is crocked. I have no idea if he is right but if so then it's not great.

You bore me and probably many others. You are to thick to engage your brain

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Why? In that verse post he mentioned about four other players that were in this situation, every single one of which was a roaring success.

Zamora is an England international standard striker. If he was completely fit and well, so you really think he would be playing for us?

Feb 14, 2010
Why? In that verse post he mentioned about four other players that were in this situation, every single one of which was a roaring success.

Zamora is an England international standard striker. If he was completely fit and well, so you really think he would be playing for us?

He is not England standard. Maybe 8 years ago he might have been, possibly a fringe England player. A club looking for promotion is about right the standard for a former top flight player who has not pulled up trees because of injury. Look I'm not slagging off the great saint that is Zamora, but we have to judge this signing objectively.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The idea of comparing the athleticism of football from Stanley Matthews day to nowadays is laughable. Totally different sport.

Matthews era was one of heavy, poorer quality pitches, heavier kit, heavier ball and a much more physically robust style of play. Sports science was in its infancy and training techniques concentrated on mastering basics. The game was totally attack minded and offered far more spectator enjoyment. Diet was different and players eating heavy meals 3 hours before kick off was the norm. Many players drank alcohol either side of games.
Skills were different then. Players could dribble with the ball under control. Hundreds and thousands of hours spent honing close control skills in the steet, park and playground with a variety of small balls gave boys the confidence to take those skills into the pro game. Players were better at heading the ball, learning the art of hanging in the air. Chest control was better and shooting easier to control.
Sure, the game seemed to lack the athleticism of today but did that make it worse? There were no substitutes, so sides regularly played with ten men. Players continued, when clearly injured. It was a much harder game, physically and Matthews took a huge amount of punishment all his career. The fact he played so long was down to his own professionalism and fitness. He developed his own routines. Had fasting days and worked assiduously on maintaining his career. He was a model pro and a lot of players today could learn a great deal from him.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think you're confusing sports science with magic and the discovery of the elixir of youth. Nearlly all full time pros are as fit as they can possibly be; and at optimum fitness, a 25 year old at is going to have more stamina than a 35 year old.

Zamora looked good for the entire time he was on yesterday anyway.

This. I really don't know what the OP's point is, or what he is trying to say. Bobby Zee did his best, and actually did it very well I thought. What more is he supposed to do?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Maybe Bobby picked the wrong place in Sussex , Chichester is more in keeping with his requirements .

He's not here to study cathedrals.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
You bore me and probably many others. You are to thick to engage your brain
The original op is probably low on common sense-we have had players like this before -past their prime but can still do a job , even so by the time BZ left us he was spending most his time setting up others not as a out and out front man.
If society throw out everyone past their peak there would be a lot more room on trains ---maybe he has a point !!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Think the club are handling him pretty well. Gradual return to match fitness (different from just 'fitness'), he's a couple of months behind the rest due to lack of pre-season, he's not young and he's a bit fragile. If Tomer had been fit I doubt he'd have started yesterday. Didn't go yesterday but sounded from the commentary like he did a good job when he was on and he's probably a couple of weeks away from being able to last most/all of a game if needed, either working with a runner like Baldock, or coming on as a sub to hold it up to protect what we have. Yesterday shows that we still really need another squad striker.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Who or where does it say zamora came off because he was 'too tired'.

The man is a statistic improbability. With his chronic hip problems, knee injuries his had, plus a leg break.
I'm suprised he is still training.
The fact that he put more then 45 mins into the bolton match is a true commitment.

When he came on for the last 12 mins or so in his first home debut. I stood up and applauded him because he can still push himself to play at this level.
When QPR felt his days are truly numbered at this level.

He was involved in both of our goals against bolton, Not for any crazy speed running!. but using his footballing brain of experiance.
It's quality that wins you games, Not always Fitness levels.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here