Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zamora Not in England Squad

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sad to say it as I'd have LOVED to have seen Bobby in the 30 at least.
But if you've reached the age of 29 and never once been included in an England squad, let alone been capped, then the chances of being in a provisional World Cup squad are rather slim.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No Wes Brown

:mexican::dance::mexican::yahoo::yahoo::banana::banana::clap2::clap2::clap2::mexican::yahoo::banana:

I can change my signature.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
With Bent you know he can come of the bench and grab a goal.

Yeah, maybe against the likes of Clark Carlisle and Steven Caldwell but not Lucio / Juan or Puyol / Pique.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I don't have any doubt that Zamora would have been in the squad if he hadn't been crocked. You just can't take any chances with a player carrying that sort of injury going into the World's premier football tournament.

And the reason then for Barry being included is what?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Goals win games. Bent is a natural top flight goalscorer, Zamora's not.

Seeing as he's got Heskey who isn't a natural goalscorer, but a great player who can hold the ball up, and bring others in, we need another goalscorer. With Bent you know he can come of the bench and grab a goal.

I guess that's where we differ.

He's a PRemiership goalscorer, but isn't up to International standard. I can make my peace with Bobby not being included, but to take Bent would be a big mistake imo

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can live with Bobby not being in the squad, but with Bent I haven't felt this worried about an England squad player since Phil Neville was chopping down Romanians for fun 10 years ago...

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
:US::US::US::US:

barry doesn't need warm up games

if he's fit he can just go straight into the team

zamora DOES need warm up games

THAT'S WHY

If you read the quote I was referring to it was saying you can't take a risk with injured players. Barry is meant to be out for a month which takes us to the day before England's first game. Which is clearly a huge risk.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
He's a PRemiership goalscorer, but isn't up to International standard. I can make my peace with Bobby not being included, but to take Bent would be a big mistake imo

He's played 5 (FIVE) games for England. I don't think one full game. Give him a chance, jeez.

Out of interest who would you have instead of Bent and Zamora?

Oct 25, 2003
If you read the quote I was referring to it was saying you can't take a risk with injured players. Barry is meant to be out for a month which is the day before England's first game. Which is clearly a huge risk.

if barry ISN'T fit, then he won't be in the final 23:thumbsup:

i'd guess that's why there's a fair amount of central midfielders on the list, but capello is hard to second guess

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
agreed

i think bent will be in the 7 that miss out, with 4 strikers going

imo, like

In which history will repeat itself because 2 of them - Rooney and Heskey - are injured, whilst Walcott has done nothing all season to warrant inclusion. Spooky!

He's played 5 (FIVE) games for England. I don't think one full game. Give him a chance, jeez.

Out of interest who would you have instead of Bent and Zamora?

Sorry Matt but Bent was abysmal against Brazil Reserves. Think Mark McCammon blindfolded. With one leg. High on acid.
You can't gamble on him coming good at the World Cup at this stage.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
BRILLIANT news that he's taken Barry though

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3498219 said:
Sorry Matt but Bent was abysmal against Brazil Reserves. Think Mark McCammon blindfolded. With one leg. High on acid.
You can't gamble on him coming good at the World Cup at this stage.

I see what you mean, BUT can you gamble on Zamora as well? Or anyone else for that matter? He's probably the best and most experienced striker left to pick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here