Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zamora "I want to return to Brighton at some point"

First game at Falmerin the Championship, would you like to see Zamora up front?

• Total voters

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Why Zamora could be back From The Argus)

Why Zamora could be back
12:20pm Thursday 1st October 2009

Comments (0) Have your say »

By Andy Naylor »

Bobby Zamora has hinted at a sensational return to Albion.

The Seagulls’ legendary goalscorer reveals a desire to play again for the club in a new book.

Zamora was sold to Spurs in July 2003 for £1.5 million after helping Albion to back-to-back titles with 70 goals in 119 League games.

Zamora, now with Fulham in the Premier League after a spell at West Ham, will be 30 by the time Albion move into their new stadium at Falmer.

He said: “I am loving being at Fulham – largely because I am playing every week again.

“But one day I would love to come back to Brighton and play for the Albion again. I always tell my mates that I will go back there at some point in the future.

“Those two seasons (1999-2000 and 2000-01) are right up there with everything else that I have subsequently achieved in football.

“It was phenomenal and as far as memories go I don’t think that can be beaten.”

Zamora unveils his comeback wish in ‘Match of My Life’, as one of 15 Albion players and managers reflecting on their most memorable games for the club.

Zamora picks out not just the 3-1 home win against Reading in February 2002 but also Paul Watson, the Seagulls’ current assistant physio.

“Even now, having spent a few seasons playing in the Premiership, I don’t think I have come across anybody with a better left foot than Watto’s,” he said.

“In the current Fulham team there isn’t anybody with a better delivery than Watto at his peak.

“I was very lucky to have played in the same team as him. He created numerous goals for me, not only with his deliveries but with his intelligent play as well.”

In the book, edited by the club’s press officer Paul Camillin, Gary Stevens talks about his surprise move to Spurs after his starring role in the 1983 FA Cup final against Manchester United.

“The replay proved my final game for Brighton – although I had absolutely no intention of leaving and didn’t believe for a minute that I would be.

“I was, after all, in the throes of trying to buy another house. I was living in Mile Oak and thinking of buying in Hove Park.

“The people I was buying off asked me why I was buying their house when I was moving. I told them I wasn’t going anywhere, then out of the blue I got a phone call from Jimmy Melia.”

Ex-manager Barry Lloyd, who selects the play-off semi-final first leg against Millwall in 1991, reveals he turned down Chelsea and Southampton to stay with the Seagulls.

Lloyd, now chief scout, concludes: “I like to think there’s a sense of justice that I am back with Albion now Archer, Stanley and Bellotti are long gone.”

The book also includes a chapter by current manager Russell Slade on the survival-clinching victory against Stockport at Withdean in May.

The foreword is by chairmam turned life president Dick Knight, who is looking forward more than anybody to the first fixture at Falmer.

“The Albion match of my life has yet to be played,” he said. “Never will a game have been so long awaited, so fought for the right to be staged, so dreamed about after all this club has been through in recent years.”

Match of My Life is published by Know The Score Books, priced £16.99. Copies are available in the club shop.

Now then, first game at Falmer, Albion in the Championship, we get offered Bobby Z up front.

Would you be saying "Never go back" then?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I'd welcome him back with open arms. :bowdown:

Infact I think I just creamed myself at the thought of Falmer + Zamora. :drool:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I'm sure this was in a programme from last season?

Normally i'd be in the 'never go back' camp especially after the Adams part two fiasco but a Zamora come back for Falmer would be Amazing.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm sure that interview is quite old, I've read it somewhere before.

Anyway, I would love Zamora back, even if it is just for a season at the twighlight of his career.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No thanks.
He's proved in the Premier League these last few years that he's just not a natural goalscorer. Most of his goals at the Albion were largely tap-ins, served up on a plate by Watson (he even admits as much himself). The team carried him week-in week-out down here, he was lazy and lethargic, and he no longer has youth on his side either. Poor in the air, poor first touch, inconsistant finishing and his hold up play was quite frankly laughable.

We've got Dickinson now, who is only going to get better and better. We have no need for Zamora.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
No thanks.
He's proved in the Premier League these last few years that he's just not a natural goalscorer. Most of his goals at the Albion were largely tap-ins, served up on a plate by Watson (he even admits as much himself). The team carried him week-in week-out down here, he was lazy and lethargic, and he no longer has youth on his side either. Poor in the air, poor first touch, inconsistant finishing and his hold up play was quite frankly laughable.

We've got Dickinson now, who is only going to get better and better. We have no need for Zamora.

:fishing:

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Not sure I would want to. We saw him as a young player, a very good player who had his best years ahead of him. If he came back would he still the same player? I doubt it.

I would hate to say to myself "the old Zamora would have scored that" or "he isn't as good as he was". No, rather remember him as he was for us.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
No thanks.

I kind of agree with some of your points but your a brave man to post them! LOL

As for his premier league record and championship for that matter he has been unfortunate to be paired with some pretty greedy strikers, his assist stats show that he is a more than capable lower premiershite striker.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No thanks.

Spot on. If we're talking dream tickets, I think the return of Mark McGhee as manager, to sign Titus Bramble for 2 or 3 mill, and then play him as centre forward is probably mine.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
No thanks.

I am assuming that is a wind up.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
I am assuming that is a wind up.

He scored an awful lot of headers for someone 'poor in the air'.

Pretty much spot on otherwise though - as someone above points out however, it's a brave assessment!!

Realistically though, would I want someone who is getting regular prem football now to be up front for us in 2 years time? Yes!

edit: actually, i've just watched that video and realised 1) i'm talking crap, and 2) easy wasn't being at all serious. Zamora, when he was here, was part of a good team, but was also a CLASS act.

Last edited:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Top bombing Easy.

Zamora not fit to clean Dickinsons boots.

*chortle*

blue and white army

Jan 31, 2008
Brighton
No thanks.

I agree Zamora was overrated. I think given the opportunity Chris McPhee could have been a prolific goalscorer but wasn't managers pet. Since were all letting it out I wish Dick Knight had never taken over this club because I'd much rather have seen us crumble into the abyss. Who needs Bobby we've got Dickinson.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I would rather remember him as he was. He did a great job for us back then.

The last thing we want as Brighton fans is to have a former goalscorer back and after a few games calling him 'useless' or worse.

The foreword is by chairmam turned life president Dick Knight, who is looking forward more than anybody to the first fixture at Falmer.

“The Albion match of my life has yet to be played,” he said. “Never will a game have been so long awaited, so fought for the right to be staged, so dreamed about after all this club has been through in recent years.”

For me it will certainly be up in the top 3

FA Cup semi final at Highbury
FA Cup final at Wembley (1st game)

being the other two. :)

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I agree Zamora was overrated. I think given the opportunity Chris McPhee could have been a prolific goalscorer but wasn't managers pet. Since were all letting it out I wish Dick Knight had never taken over this club because I'd much rather have seen us crumble into the abyss. Who needs Bobby we've got Dickinson.

When Zamora was around, he wanted to eb the limelight, it held back the careers of many people that would have made it, had they not had to live in Robert Lester Zamora's shadow.

Carl Wilson-Dennis would have been prolific and we could have made far more than the £1.5million we made on Zamora. Scott Ramsay the same, he could have been on 200 goals for the Albion by now

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If Zamora came back, it would all be about managing fan expectations as to whether it would work, you can see that just from this thread.

Personally, I think if people accepted, a bit like when Andy Booth went back to Huddersfield, that later in his career he's older, slower, won't get as many goals but still has something to offer, has plenty of know-how and is committed to the cause, then it could work out very well.

If you're thinking he's going to fly past five defenders, you'll be disappointed.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lets not forget his dubious injury record as well. He missed several games just through having a "dislocated shoulder", having apparently fallen heavily once. Since when have strikers used their shoulders for anything ? It certainly didn't stop him from hob-nobbing in the directors box at Colchester with his arm in a sling, while his team-mates banged four past the opposition that day I seem to remember.

We went on an upward curve once he left. Joe Gatting wouldn't have become half the player he did if Zamora was still hogging the strikers berth.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No thanks.

:lolol: on form 8/10.

Zamora has another 6-8 years of professional football, id be surprised if he doesnt return for the last few years of that. even if he isnt the best goalscorer around, at chamionshp level he performed OK at Westham and he'll make a decent attacking midfielder/support striker too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here