Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

You've got to feel sorry for Hibs

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well I do anyway.

They beat Celtic, then Rangers in the CIS Cup.

And then lose to Livingston in the final. :angry: :angry:

Where's the justice?

Where's Jambo Seagull when you need him?

And remember, Livi are the MK Dons of the Scottish league. All this talk of the miracle, only founded 10years ago, etc, etc. Try telling Meadowbank Thistle fans that.

A team with poor attendances, from the capital, are taken over by an 'ambitious' board, who move them to one of the post-war new towns, say 'it's not far for the old fans, so they can keep coming', rename them (OK, so this is different to the Wimbledon case), and keep the old club's place in the league. Thus, the highest bidding town buys themselves a place in the league and settles back to enjoy the league football they never earned the proper way. Sound familiar?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The problem is that Meadowbank were getting 300 at home so nobody could really oppose what was going on.

Out of interest, how far is Livingston from their roots in Edinburgh?

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
HERE! I don't feel in the slightest bit sorry for them. They have played well in about half a dozen games this season including a game against Celtic reserves and the worst Rangers team for 20 years. Despite this their fans think they've got the new Busby Babes. They have about half a dozen teenagers of which one is any good. The rest are just big for their age. They had 38,000 supporting yesterday. Their next home game is against Celtic. I'd be surprised of they get 12,000 at that game (including 5,000 tic fans). The best bit was watching them discuss on Hibsnet where thge route of the victory parade was going!Rearrange these words to get a well-known phrase! "Dyke disappearing off a snow like."

Well done the Livi Lions! (including 3 ex jambos)

Simster said:
The problem is that Meadowbank were getting 300 at home so nobody could really oppose what was going on.

Yes, they could - the fans of Meadowbank Thistle could, and did.

Simster said:
Out of interest, how far is Livingston from their roots in Edinburgh?

About 15 miles from the middle of Edinburgh, although Thistle were on the east side of town and Livi is to the west of Edinburgh.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Jambo Seagull said:
HERE! I don't feel in the slightest bit sorry for them. They have played well in about half a dozen games this season including a game against Celtic reserves and the worst Rangers team for 20 years.
How did you get on against the Old Firm this season then?

Jambo Seagull said:
Well done the Livi Lions! (including 3 ex jambos)
Nick off.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
The thought of those two in the final is a shock as the old firm certainly rule the roost.:)

Very sad after putting the old firm out:lolol:

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
The Large One said:
Does this mean Livi are in Europe next season?

no. No UEFA cup place anymore for the League cup winners in Scotland. Changed a few years ago which unfortunately has devalued the competition greatly. Carling had mooted the idea of a British cup between the winners of the two competitions but unsurprisingly have not said anything further on the subject since the OF were knocked out (Carling sponsor both of the OF!).

As for Hearts record against the Old Firm, we have more league points against them than Hibs do this season (1 on saturday).

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Well done Livi.

I don't think it's fair to compare them to MK Dons at all. Meadowbank Thistle were dying on their arse, and found it absolutely impossible to compete with Hibs and Hearts. Unlike Wimbledon, they'd have gone out of business anyway.

Livingston is only just down the road and could offer them a viable future as a football club. They'd have been mad not to move.

Livi are still a 'small' club even by Scottish standards, so it's a great victory for the underdog.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
fatbadger said:
Thus, the highest bidding town buys themselves a place in the league and settles back to enjoy the league football they never earned the proper way. Sound familiar?

Oh, also they only 'bought' themselves a place in the Second Division... hardly bargain of the century. It's taken 10 years hard work and two promotions to get where they are now.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
trueblue said:
Well done Livi.

I don't think it's fair to compare them to MK Dons at all. Meadowbank Thistle were dying on their arse, and found it absolutely impossible to compete with Hibs and Hearts. Unlike Wimbledon, they'd have gone out of business anyway.

Livingston is only just down the road and could offer them a viable future as a football club. They'd have been mad not to move.

Livi are still a 'small' club even by Scottish standards, so it's a great victory for the underdog.

I would agree it is slightly different to MK Dons. There were about 50 hardcore Meadowbank fans. They were a joke in Edinburgh, regarded as trainspotters. Meadowbank themselves were only about 20 years old having been originally a works team called Ferranti Thistle. They were shooed into the league against the backdrop of much protest from Highland league clubs because they were situated in the central belt and had a ready-made stadium after the demise of Third Lanark and the takeover of East Stirlingshire by Clydebank(the original franchise club and now out of business taken over by Airdrie Utd). having said that I have not time for Livi and their plastic fans (especially that f***ing drummer!). They are hated by the fans of most small clubs in Scotland.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
One pleasing thing about Livi though is that apparently there is a large number of Old Firm shirts to be seen in the home end for an everyday home game. Maybe one day, these people and their kids will turn into local Livi fans rather than simply second team fans enjoying a cheap season ticket (which is no bad thing in any case).

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Jambo Seagull said:
I would agree it is slightly different to MK Dons. There were about 50 hardcore Meadowbank fans. They were a joke in Edinburgh, regarded as trainspotters. Meadowbank themselves were only about 20 years old having been originally a works team called Ferranti Thistle. They were shooed into the league against the backdrop of much protest from Highland league clubs because they were situated in the central belt and had a ready-made stadium after the demise of Third Lanark and the takeover of East Stirlingshire by Clydebank(the original franchise club and now out of business taken over by Airdrie Utd). having said that I have not time for Livi and their plastic fans (especially that f***ing drummer!). They are hated by the fans of most small clubs in Scotland.

The hard core Meadowbank fans was led by a life-long Ferranti/Bankie guy called Andy Mitchell. He is now head of Comunications and PR for the SFA and vowed the one club he would never watch is Livingstone .... wonder how he balances that with the requirements of his job!!!!? Don't you just hate Jim Leishman!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here