Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

youth football the real english disease

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
As someone who has been involved in Youth Football for more years than I'd care to admit, there are so many problems and issues to address and I simply haven't got time now to list them, but here's a start.

Better Facilities
Better equipment (a ball for every kid at training)
Better Coaching
Better Coaching for Coaches
6/7 a side for longer (ie don't start 11 a side at 11)
Leagues (and committees) that put the needs of the kids/football first, not their own self importance.
Clubs that don't 'hold back' better players.
Parents who interfere
Managers who put results above performance and skill level, even at Under 9/10/11 etc...

When I have a spare couple of houes I'll be back.....!!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Although it is helpful to change the certain structures of our game such as the dimensions of the pitch which is more appropriate to a child's age and size unless you can find a great mentor to encourage the children to play in an environment that lends itself to good practise then we are unlikely to move forward.

Once again what is a winning mentality ??

If its a desire for a team and their manager to achieve certain valid playing targets then its a good thing.

If however the result supersedes any in depth principles then again it is likely to be a negative trait.

Although again I understand your thoughts behind better facilities, ball per child etc. give those resources to a 'bad coach' and they will still offer bad practice to those children, conversely give average facilities and equipment to a good coach and those children might flourish.

The key remains a committed and knowledgeable mentor.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I don't think a winning mentality is needed up to about 14. Before then you need to to learn to play the game from all angles. That means everyone gets to play all round the pitch - from goalkeeper to forward. Bold Seagull (above) highlighted the Spanish approach, and this is also the same in many other countries. After that you will have come through a football apprenticeship and be ready to be properly assessed and introduced into a more structured environment.

There are also a couple of stats relevant to all this - on the continent the youth development players get about 25 hours of coaching per week whereas in Britain they get about 5. Also there are about 10 times as many qualified coaches in Spain, France and Germany as there are in Britain.

With the Prem seeming to constantly look outside our country for new talent it isn't helping either. What we need is a new rule forcing Prem clubs to have squads comprised of a high percentage of home produced players. Money talks though, and so does the human rights commission.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
unless you can find a great mentor to encourage the children.....

Although again I understand your thoughts behind better facilities, ball per child etc. give those resources to a 'bad coach' and they will still offer bad practice to those children, conversely give average facilities and equipment to a good coach and those children might flourish.

The key remains a committed and knowledgeable mentor.

Agree with that.

Single biggest issue is that we need better qualified Coaches, not someone who has done their Level 1 and thimks they know it all.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Its going to take a while to filter through to the full England squad but progress is being made..

England under 17s won the Euros
21s beaten finalists
19s semis

The emphasis on a winning mentality is certainly not a problem at academys, where you would say the best coaching is available, and I believe they have improved over the last 10 - 20 years. But those academy coaches reach a very small number of young players.
A simple way to reach a wide number of players is through schools, where to be honest sport and coaching is nearly always absolutely shite. But I guess the funding for that to improve is not coming any time soon.

smelly

May 23, 2004
Dutch kids play 4 a side until they are 11.
7 a side until they are 14 and then 11 a side.

This means that they are twice as comfortable on the ball as our kids because they have seen at least twice as much of the ball.

THEN they learn the positional sense and tactics to play on a full size pitch.

The most effective U11's upwards in this country are the ones who can kick it the furthest/hardest. therefore all the other kids aspire to be like them as opposed to the most skillful best passer etc.......

This is the issue IMHO

Just let kids enjoy playing football. They'll soon be too old and fat and unfit for it to naything more than a fond memory.

And anyway, top flight football in thiscountry has nothing whatsoever to do with developing and nuturing talent here. That's far too long term and expensive. Much easier and cheaper to waste milllions on somone from another country where someone else has spent the time and money deleoping them , just so you can come and cherry pick the best

its going to take a while to filter through to the full england squad but progress is being made..

England under 17s won the euros
21s beaten finalists
the emphasis on a winning mentality is certainly not a problem at academys, where you would say the best coaching is available, and i believe they have improved over the last 10 - 20 years. But those academy coaches reach a very small number of young players.
A simple way to reach a wide number of players is through schools, where to be honest sport and coaching is nearly always absolutely shite. But i guess the funding for that to improve is not coming any time soon.

not sure academys are what they should be??? BEST OF A BAD SYSTEM:eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here