Votes: 5 0.9%

• Total voters

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
For added comedy value.

Because the ball went into touch and we’ve now got multi ball, so an Arsenal player could have just taken a thrown in with another ball. Rice’s booking was for preventing us taking a quick free kick which the new rules this season are designed to clamp down on!
Ahhh that makes sense, what a shame the at the ex pro footballers on TNT didn’t know the multi ball throw in rule

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I did feel like Veltman absolutely knew the ball wasn't there and he was going to kick Rice before he even began to swing his foot.

He had his hands out in the universal "hey ref!" gesture before his foot left the ground.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Same as the Manchester United offside goal.

“Technically’ it was an offside goal, but, it should have been allowed because it wasn’t fair “

“Technically it was a second yellow, but it shouldn’t have been because it wasn’t fair.

I’m beginning to see some sort of pattern here.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
But who was he kicking the ball to? I really don't think Veltman was actually taking the free-kick and passing it to a teammate. He knew exactly what he was doing.
You are correct but that's irrelevant. Rice is the fool to get sucked into that.

Arsenal keep banging on about the Pedro incident but if he had of got a yellow how does does that change the outcome for Rice? Curiously it would have demonstrated the consistency they are going on about.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Same as the Manchester United offside goal.

“Technically’ it was an offside goal, but, it should have been allowed because it wasn’t fair “

“Technically it was a second yellow, but it shouldn’t have been because it wasn’t fair.

I’m beginning to see some sort of pattern here.
Decisions that go against the big boys should automatically be deemed unfair. Amazing they haven't introduced that rule this season!

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The ball was moving. He had no intention of legitimately taking the free kick
His intention was almost certainly to blast the ball into the back of Rice, to then appeal to the ref that Rice had blocked his free-kick, triggering the issue of a yellow card.

Had Rice not, intentionally, kicked the ball away, we would probably now be debating "Should Rice have been issued with a second yellow card for blocking a quickly taken free-kick when the ball was still moving?"

He was booked for kicking the ball away, delaying the restart of the game. It's neither here nor there whether Veltman was about to restart play at that moment or not.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
And now we cross to the Arsenal forum to see how the poll is going...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But who was he kicking the ball to? I really don't think Veltman was actually taking the free-kick and passing it to a teammate. He knew exactly what he was doing.
Of course he did. Veltman is such a seventh dan black belt of the dark arts that he's even fooled a hilariously large section of his own fanbase there. He didn't fool McCoist tho :lolol:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
His intention was almost certainly to blast the ball into the back of Rice, to then appeal to the ref that Rice had blocked his free-kick, triggering the issue of a yellow card.

Had Rice not, intentionally, kicked the ball away, we would probably now be debating "Should Rice have been issued with a second yellow card for blocking a quickly taken free-kick when the ball was still moving?"

He was booked for kicking the ball away, delaying the restart of the game. It's neither here nor there whether Veltman was about to restart play at that moment or not.
But the game could not have been restarted at that precise moment because it was moving. Shithousery at its finest and I’m not complaining, but I would have been apoplectic if that was given against us.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
What I love about Veltman is the image of angelic innocence and naivety he projects, meanwhile being one of the shithousiest players in the league. Tugging the shirt on the blind side, “accidentally” standing on toes.

Spend a half watching him, it’s constant and he never stops.

Then he’ll turn around and shake the player’s hand :lol:
What I love about Veltman is the image of angelic innocence and naivety he projects, meanwhile being one of the shithousiest players in the league. Tugging the shirt on the blind side, “accidentally” standing on toes.

Spend a half watching him, it’s constant and he never stops.

Then he’ll turn around and shake the player’s hand :lol:
We just watch Velts regularly. You're spot on, he *never* stops

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Saw the yellow first, Veltman wasn't on a yellow - so no. And also, I was watching on Optus - and as the yellow came out, the mike picked up 'Second Yellow' said by someone (not sure if it was onfield or the commentator)
TNT showed one replay where they seemed to have the pitchside mic volume boosted and I heard the same.

I think it was very possibly Welbeck, as he certainly seemed to be expecting, and then agreeing with, the yellow.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here