Votes: 36 6.3%
  • Red card for both players

Votes: 5 0.9%

• Total voters

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Ref watch very clear that the ref had nowhere to go. Has to enforce the law. You can’t just ignore the law because Arsenal don’t like it. The fact the ball is moving is irrelevant because rice kicked it not Veltman. Veltman not done anything wrong until he kicks moving ball. Also the point that although rice did not kick it far it was off the pitch. So no choice but to give a yellow. All the people saying Veltman knew what he was doing etc - I agree. He did.

Yup. Rice’s mistake was kicking him up in the air for his first yellow.

From that moment on, Veltman is like a Venus fly trap, flaps wide open oozing sweetness and fulfilment to the Ricefly buzzing around thinking it owns the game. The ball is rolled so enticingly to Rice’s feet, it’s almost impossible not to kick it away. So he does. Then bang. The trap springs shut and Rice is literally kicked off the pitch and out the game as Velts delivers the first part of the revenge and the ref, the second.

F*** about with Veltman. Find out.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Funny seeing sheepish Dunk. I believe the Rices & Dunks were especially close during the Euros and went in Dubai after they finished together. He was staying well out of it 😂

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I have joked about arteta constantly being on the touchline which should get him a yellow card but actually it can impact play. In the first minute Mitoma dribbled one down the line which Odegaard thought was out so started calling for a ball from ball boy and arteta shouted at the ref. The ball was not out but instead Mitoma seemed to have got the ball stuck in the line like a crap recreational pitch. Mitoma might have had a crack at taking on the defender down the line but cut it. I wonder if he cut in because arteta was stood in the way blocking the line? Defender had him covered but arteta simply should not be allowed to stand where he is. Gets in mitoma’s eye line.

Attachments

• IMG_2718.jpeg
    IMG_2718.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2719.jpeg
    IMG_2719.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 86

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have joked about arteta constantly being on the touchline which should get him a yellow card but actually it can impact play. In the first minute Mitoma dribbled one down the line which Odegaard thought was out so started calling for a ball from ball boy and arteta shouted at the ref. The ball was not out but instead Mitoma seemed to have got the ball stuck in the line like a crap recreational pitch. Mitoma might have had a crack at taking on the defender down the line but cut it. I wonder if he cut in because arteta was stood in the way blocking the line? Defender had him covered but arteta simply should not be allowed to stand where he is. Gets in mitoma’s eye line.
Well illustrated

PortuGull

Gooooooooooooooooooooolll
Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina
Micah Richards spouting subjective nonsense aided and abetted by Lineker

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Agree. I say it tentatively, but at least for our games so far, the standard of refereeing has been a marked improvement so far. I do fear that this may always happen and it's all downhill from here.

Now for the negative. Assistant referees have been dreadful so far. I know they're hamstrung by the stupid don't raise your flag unless it's 26.2 miles offside thing, but they really need to sharpen up and start giving things they think is offside. The PL have said that semi-automated will only be used where VAR is currently used so it's on them to solve it.
In my experience, assistant referees are far better at flagging offsides quickly for the other 14, than they are for the Big 6.

Saturday's game was very similar to the Spurs away game for that. First half. lino lets Arse play on for 3 obvious offsides. 2nd half, flag went straight up for the first marginal Brighton offside.

It's subconscious, but it's one of those marginal advantages the top clubs often get.

It's a big factor in the behaviour of their fans, when a soft decision goes against them

7dialssouthpaw

Sep 10, 2022
The state of this article on Sky Sports. If anyone has the time or inclination to put him straight, his twitter link is http://twitter.com/@Ronnabe

haha! the twat totally made it up - here's an excerpt of one of his "reasons":

<<Before half-time, Joao Pedro booted the ball away after Kavanagh's whistle had gone, in an incident arguably worse than Rice's given the relative length of delay from how far his kick travelled.>>

what bollocks - changing the facts to justify a position.

here's a vid of it - turn up the sound, watch the ref:

https://www.facebook.com/TNTsports/videos/jo%C3%A3o-pedro-kicked-the-ball-away-as-it-went-out-of-play-during-the-first-half-but/425073636689082/

Insult to journalism.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Micah Richards spouting subjective nonsense aided and abetted by Lineker

He's decided he thinks it shouldn't have been a 2nd yellow card. That's a fair position to take, but then to justify it, he just starts spouting nonsense.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
He's decided he thinks it shouldn't have been a 2nd yellow card. That's a fair position to take, but then to justify it, he just starts spouting nonsense.
Also overlooks the fact that Arsenal were screaming for a card for Pedro. Demanding a card is a bookable offence and the ref’s whistle had not gone. It takes some mental gymnastics to say Pedro should be booked but rice shouldn’t.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
haha! the twat totally made it up - here's an excerpt of one of his "reasons":

<<Before half-time, Joao Pedro booted the ball away after Kavanagh's whistle had gone, in an incident arguably worse than Rice's given the relative length of delay from how far his kick travelled.>>

what bollocks - changing the facts to justify a position.

here's a vid of it - turn up the sound, watch the ref:

https://www.facebook.com/TNTsports/videos/jo%C3%A3o-pedro-kicked-the-ball-away-as-it-went-out-of-play-during-the-first-half-but/425073636689082/

Insult to journalism.

He also calls Bart Verbruggen "Mark", which someone on TNT also did. Shows you how much some of these people are interested outside of the Big 6 bubble.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Mitoma should've wiped him out, for the ref to have then sent Arteta off

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Instead of concentrating on the referee and what the referee should do to keep Rice on the pitch, why not concentrate on Rice himself? If Rice hadn't kicked the ball away, then he wouldn't have been sent off. There is no point jumping through all sorts of hoops to stop players facing the consequences for their own actions.
Rice himself fully accepted that he deserved both yellows, in his post-match interviews.

You'd think that would be the final word on it.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Simple financial facts for all established content providers.

Agree with entitled big 6 and see the £s roll in form monetised interractions..
Disagree with entitled big 6 and see your platform unfollowed and reduced income.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Also overlooks the fact that Arsenal were screaming for a card for Pedro. Demanding a card is a bookable offence and the ref’s whistle had not gone. It takes some mental gymnastics to say Pedro should be booked but rice shouldn’t.
a great many pundits and posters who agree with Rice's red card often counter it with "Of course, Pedro should also have been booked".

Why?

He's chasing a ball that goes out of play and he boots it in frustration.
No Arsenal player is looking for a quick throw in and the ball is dead.
Ref has yet to blow a whistle to stop/restart the game

- Not showing dissent at a refs decision
- Not timewasting
- Not preventing a restart

Where's the bookable offence??

Arteta gaslights the whole Premier League community by making factually inaccurate claims about consistency that go COMPLETELY unchallenged.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Jordan doesn't do himself any favours by saying the referee didn't see Joao Pedro kicking the ball away. Souness quite rightly picked him up on that. Souness also calls out Veltman for 'misbehaving' (much the same as McCoist did). Doubt many ex-pros would think differently 😄

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Amazing how few people , that make a living from commenting on the game, actually know and understand the laws of the game.

I'll concede that on first viewing I didn't think Rice's action warranted a yellow.
It was only when it was clarified that this was specifically highlighted to clubs by PGMOL, that this would be clamped down on this season, that I agreed with the decision.

However, the amount of comments about other players "kicking the ball away" and "getting away with it" is extraordinary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here