Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] You're the ref: Morgan Gibbs-White

What would you have given to Morgan Gibbs-White?

• Total voters

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
It wasn't a clear penalty.
The challenge happens because Hudson Odoi stretches for the ball and makes contact with Baleba's leg whilst he's attempting a shoulder charge.

A coming together.

If the ref doesn't see that as a penalty, VAR wouldn't have overturned it.
Sorry but you're sounding like an Arsenal fan being creative about the Rice dismissal. Your bias is the suggestion that Forest player is the one making contact. He's just clever by stepping across and Baleba is the one who initiates contact with his right toe. Baleba has to be smarter. So in fact it's the opposite in respect of VAR. The ref saw it, gave it and VAR rightly didn't overturn it.

Watch Sky's Ref Watch and I think you'll change your mind.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Shit tackle. Incredible that they kicked off about it.
I don't think Jones helped his situation by intimating the Forest player got the ball first (he didn't). A good ref would have waited a couple of seconds to assess the situation and take advice from the 4th official (which was obviously passed onto him) if he didn't have a clear view. From the Lower West it was obvious to all it was a shocking challenge and arguable should have been a straight red.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Sorry but you're sounding like an Arsenal fan being creative about the Rice dismissal. Your bias is the suggestion that Forest player is the one making contact. He's just clever by stepping across and Baleba is the one who initiates contact with his right toe. Baleba has to be smarter. So in fact it's the opposite in respect of VAR. The ref saw it, gave it and VAR rightly didn't overturn it.

Watch Sky's Ref Watch and I think you'll change your mind.

You obviously don't listen/read any Arsenal fan comments..

What exactly am I wrong about?
I said it wasn't a clear penalty.

My definition of a clear penalty is one where VAR would be forced to overrule the onfield decision.

If the ref hadn't given it, you think VAR would have overturned the onfield decision?
You're welcome to your opinion on that, but I beg to differ.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
You obviously don't listen/read any Arsenal fan comments..

What exactly am I wrong about?
I said it wasn't a clear penalty.

My definition of a clear penalty is one where VAR would be forced to overrule the onfield decision.

If the ref hadn't given it, you think VAR would have overturned the onfield decision?
You're welcome to your opinion on that, but I beg to differ.
Interesting how VAR is in your definition of a clear penalty, I wonder what your definition was pre-VAR?

Mine would be where there is little argument for there not to be a penalty, making the debate clear of doubt. I think this applies to the forest penalty

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I can’t compute anyone thinking it was not at least a second yellow. The only debate is whether it should be a red. I think it should given scissor tackles have been a focus. Getting the ball is irrelevant when you put a player in danger.

Re the pen. It was soft and forest player knew what he was doing but it has to be a pen. Stone wall. If it had not been given I am sure VAR would have said to look. Yes he stepped across but that is fine to protect the ball. Baleba was naive. If that was not given in the oppo box I would be fuming and if one of our players did that dumb MGW tackle I would also be fuming.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
No. No it wasn't. Well, it was because it was given. But, I have never seen anyone fall over in any other sport or walk of life from the type of contact Hudson-Odoi had with Baleba. Only in football would that be deemed sufficient for someone to take a fall. The penalty was 'won'.
I can only say what I saw (right in line, front of WSU)

As soon as it happened, before the ref blew, I said pen.

Soft - yes.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Now I've seen it on TV:
It was a pen, albeit soft (I was fuming at the time)
How the f*** has the ref got the Pedro foul so wrong? It's a borderline straight red. Rob Jones is incompetent, I knew that before the game, so this is no surprise, it was because it was him that I didn't believe the pen. He should not be a top level ref.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Interesting how VAR is in your definition of a clear penalty, I wonder what your definition was pre-VAR?

Mine would be where there is little argument for there not to be a penalty, making the debate clear of doubt. I think this applies to the forest penalty

In the ground I thought it might be a penalty.
On the Replay I thought it might not be a penalty.
Archetypal - stick with the ref's decision.

Commentator says - shoulder to shoulder and is genuinely shocked the pen is given.
Looking back on the replay she then says probably just enough to not overturn it (in the light of the high bar).

I genuinely don't see where you are seeing a nailed on Pen from that challenge.
Outside the box that challenge is waved away at least 50% of the time. IMO

Cheggers

Jul 28, 2011
Bang! And the dirt is gone.
I can only say what I saw (right in line, front of WSU)

As soon as it happened, before the ref blew, I said pen.

Soft - yes.
It was definitely soft. From the north stand you could see it coming. I thought at that moment Keep away Baleba, just get goal side to block the shot. It was so obvious the Forest player was going to go over if Baleba got near him.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I can’t compute anyone thinking it was not at least a second yellow. The only debate is whether it should be a red. I think it should given scissor tackles have been a focus. Getting the ball is irrelevant when you put a player in danger.

Re the pen. It was soft and forest player knew what he was doing but it has to be a pen. Stone wall. If it had not been given I am sure VAR would have said to look. Yes he stepped across but that is fine to protect the ball. Baleba was naive. If that was not given in the oppo box I would be fuming and if one of our players did that dumb MGW tackle I would also be fuming.

Genuinely don't see those as stonewall penalties.
Outside the box it isn't a stonewall freekick.

Splitting hairs, for sure, and I think the "high bar" is the right approach for VAR, so happy to accept it should have stood.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Now I've seen it on TV:
It was a pen, albeit soft (I was fuming at the time)
How the f*** has the ref got the Pedro foul so wrong? It's a borderline straight red. Rob Jones is incompetent, I knew that before the game, so this is no surprise, it was because it was him that I didn't believe the pen. He should not be a top level ref.
The ref was quite a long way away from the incident, and saw it from behind - from that angle he probably wouldn't have seen the scissoring but would have seen the ball ping away.

On that simple basis it's somewhat understandable that he could have believed it to be a fair challenge, but surely given the reaction he should have consulted with the 4th official - who saw it from almost the opposite direction so would have had a very clear view of the tangle of legs - before making the ball symbol with his hands and apparently waving the game on without a card.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The penalty: clever, or "clever" depending on your perspective, play from Hudson-Odoi in a similar vein to the Wizard of the Dark Arts, Joel Veltman, who will always get pushed over, winning a free-kick, when he's in a spot of bother with pressure from behind.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The penalty: clever, or "clever" depending on your perspective, play from Hudson-Odoi in a similar vein to the Wizard of the Dark Arts, Joel Veltman, who will always get pushed over, winning a free-kick, when he's in a spot of bother with pressure from behind.
Fair comment.

Redinpeace

Apr 27, 2023
Stupid tackle, was a yellow even though he got the ball the rules are pretty clear man and ball ain’t happening nowadays, needs an extra game ban for his stupidity already being on a yellow and having a go in front out the dug outs, unlike MGW but he’ll learn hopefully, having said that CHO was raked down the back of his leg early on and nothing happened, VAR said nothing !

Hope Joao is on the mend, good luck for the season, look forward to seeing the Champions of Sussex in February at City Ground, one of a select few teams we’ll welcome this season. 🙏.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
Stupid tackle, was a yellow even though he got the ball the rules are pretty clear man and ball ain’t happening nowadays, needs an extra game ban for his stupidity already being on a yellow and having a go in front out the dug outs, unlike MGW but he’ll learn hopefully, having said that CHO was raked down the back of his leg early on and nothing happened, VAR said nothing !

Hope Joao is on the mend, good luck for the season, look forward to seeing the Champions of Sussex in February at City Ground, one of a select few teams we’ll welcome this season. 🙏.
True re the studs-up challenge on CHO, I was seriously concerned our man would be sent off but it seems there wasn't even a VAR check.

Redinpeace

Apr 27, 2023
True re the studs-up challenge on CHO, I was seriously concerned our man would be sent off but it seems there wasn't even a VAR check.
My frustration as many fan share is VAR got MGW booked not the ref, the ref thought it was all ball fair enough weigh in but weigh in on all missed issues cause it was a foul.

One other thought apparently it was the 4th official who watched it on the pitch side screen ? Anthony Taylor? Seems he pulled rank on the ref and influenced him ……rumours of seniority?

Regardless Morgan was stupid he’s better than that and he deserved to go.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
My frustration as many fan share is VAR got MGW booked not the ref, the ref thought it was all ball fair enough weigh in but weigh in on all missed issues cause it was a foul.

One other thought apparently it was the 4th official who watched it on the pitch side screen ? Anthony Taylor? Seems he pulled rank on the ref and influenced him ……rumours of seniority?

Regardless Morgan was stupid he’s better than that and he deserved to go.
Not true though.

Antony Taylor (4th official recommended the yellow, not VAR, who weren't consulted )
Part of the 4th officials duties is to advise the ref if they've missed acautionable offence (which he had)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here