Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] "You're only lazy.."

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Anyway, anyone here know anything about getting out of laziness?

It depends how happy you are in your own company, going at your own pace. As you've seen, friends are likely to get fed up and drift away.

Being by yourself is also a good time to work out what you want from life and who you want to be. It might be that you would be suited to meeting a busy person. Busy people are great because they take you on a journey and help you get where you want to be. Of course, you have to give something in return, but that could be reliability, companionship and moral support, and accepting a few jobs around the house which are more reflective, such as doing the washing up.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Laziness is a judgement made by others.
Some people would say spending hours reading is lazy, but if people didn't read and learn we wouldn't get very far.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
There's so much in what you write, but sounds more like lack of purpose (which is often what is interpreted as laziness). Purpose isn't something you find but something you create - identifying what it is that inspires you, motivates you, makes you want to do something and building on that. From what you put on here you're clearly articulate, funny, bright and personable, all in a language that isn't even your native one. What is it that makes you want to share those things with us? I mean that as a serious question, beyond cult-of-Potter. Understanding what motivates you to engage on here might be a first step to doing more.

Without disrespecting your perception of yourself that comes across in your post I don't think you're lazy, it's just where your energy and interests and passions are directed isn't anywhere conventionally considered productive and also may not be doing you any favours either. That's very different from being lazy. It also sounds like you've accepted other people's definitions of yourself as lazy - ask yourself what accepting that definition is protecting you from. That's another step to moving past it because it enables you to rewrite the story and give yourself agency over the term. "Accepting being called lazy protects me from potentially failing to meet anyone's expectations, but it's not laziness, it's lack of confidence..." (or whatever) then you can start to work more closely with the cause.

In my job I struggle with purpose and huge imposter syndrome on a regular basis, and the way I kick on past both is to stop looking at myself and my flaws and failings and all the reasons why I can't/shouldn't/won't be successful, but look instead at others in the room - "how can I be of service to these people?" That connects with my values and purpose far greater than what I actually do to earn a living. Maybe there's a similar way you can find and distil your values and purpose into a question that keeps you moving. Stuff that goes on in our heads is hard, especially when others reinforce the most negative things we think about ourselves - good luck with moving on with it, and get professional help if you need it.

Last edited:

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Nothing I love more than doing absolutely f*ck all.

Time spent doing nothing isn't wasted if you enjoy it.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Over the years I've been accused plenty of times of being lazy.

Apparently, being lazy is evil, so you have to try to work around it giving additional excuses. "I didnt call because...", and then they tell you that you are "just lazy".

As if lazy could ever be "just lazy". I cant think of one single thing that damaged me and my life more than being lazy.

No one ever has a solution to it either. They think the solution to being lazy is to just stop being lazy. Its like telling a depressed person to just stop being depressed or to tell someone who are in love to just stop being in love. Its not a choice. No one chooses to be lazy (other than maybe if you are normally not lazy and just want a lazy day), because there is little or nothing to gain from it. "Just lazy" just isnt "just", its a major ****ing problem.

No one who has bothered to learn several languages can be lazy to the core.
You should look elsewhere for your itch.
Maybe a lack of direction?
A certain type of girlfriend could help with this.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'm incredibly lazy. I think that's how I've been relatively successful. There is a genuine skill in getting other people to do things for you that you can't be arsed to do yourself.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Apparently, being lazy is evil, so you have to try to work around it giving additional excuses. "I didnt call because...", and then they tell you that you are "just lazy".

As if lazy could ever be "just lazy". I cant think of one single thing that damaged me and my life more than being lazy.

No one ever has a solution to it either. They think the solution to being lazy is to just stop being lazy. Its like telling a depressed person to just stop being depressed or to tell someone who are in love to just stop being in love. Its not a choice. No one chooses to be lazy (other than maybe if you are normally not lazy and just want a lazy day), because there is little or nothing to gain from it. "Just lazy" just isnt "just", its a major ****ing problem.

I suffer from this,

My advice is to set some goals and plan your days the night before. Create yourself a doable to do list and get stuck into it as soon as you get up or even better after a walk. Stay away from social media, scrolling and NSC.

Start small and build up your 'doing shit' stamina. reward yourself with a rest at the end of the day and forgive yourself when you **** up and waste a day/morning/afternoon whatever.

I have had a productive day today using this strategy. My next day off will probably not be quite so but I continue to try.

Here'sWally

Sep 27, 2021

TLDR

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I'm incredibly lazy. I think that's how I've been relatively successful. There is a genuine skill in getting other people to do things for you that you can't be arsed to do yourself.

I think there's a psychology in this to get people to like you more. Ask them to do favours for you :lolol: Makes them feel needed I suppose.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Typical. Starts a thread about his laziness, and he's too lazy to bother responding to any of the replies.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Nailed it, same for me - there's a very fine line between lazy and efficient. Surround yourself with the best people you can.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Typical. Starts a thread about his laziness, and he's too lazy to bother responding to any of the replies.

Maybe he's taken the advice of post #3 and gone out for a walk.

Although I suspect he's probably looking up some obscure statistics about football in locations I've never heard of....

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale

1. Get out of your mums basement
2. stop exercising your wrists
3. cut out the pizzas
4. stop the man crush on Potter (see point 2 above).

Daylight and just going for a walk does one a world of good.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
This - I was good at my job because I'm fundamentally lazy, I had to find easier and quicker ways to do things. Likewise, I retired a couple of years ago at 47 because I'm really effing lazy.....

Indeed. My (now sadly departed) brother was extremely good at his job (IT systems, or something) due to a combination of being very clever and very lazy - the motivation to build the best and the fastest as quickly as possible was the lure of many hours lounging around afterwards doing nothing. Or so his work colleagues told me, anyway. Swanny, you should extract the positives from your predicament.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Like others, I am basically very lazy

Yet I've done more with my life than almost anyone I know. So I like to think of myself as less 'lazy' and more 'easily bored'.

I certainly have not made any money from my laziness though. Almost every time I have changed my job/life etc, because I'm too lazy to keep working at something I'm bored with, it's left me worse off financially, but nearly always happier.

So, embrace it.

Focus on things you enjoy, don't worry about money as long as you have enough for pizzas and the internet and ignore people that try to judge you based on how hard you work. The protestant work ethic has a LOT to answer for. It's f*cked up more lives, and more of our planet, than laziness ever did.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There’s the saying that if you want a task done ask a lazy person, they’ll find the easiest and quickest way to do it.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Get off this website, get outside, go for a walk. Then come back and write a really short to do list for what you want to achieve that day. Nothing beats crossing something off a list.

Even better, write a 'not to do list'. Its easier to not do things.

So for example 'Don't post on NSC'. All you have to do is not do it and you can cross that one off.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Well I'm very busy and work damn hard at being lazy. There is a skill [as others above have mentioned] of appearing to give signs of progress and activity whilst remaining lazy and doing nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here