Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] You're in charge of the summer rebuild: who goes, who stays and who joins?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
May be a bit controversial, but here goes…..

Lamptey - £40m cash in whilst we can, getting worked out by most teams
Duffy - great servant, but time to move on
Clarke - don’t know why we signed him
Ostigard
Balata

Bissouma £45m - starting to undo all his good work
Molumby
Trossard £30m - need more
Gross - with a big thank you for everything

Welbeck
Connolly

Promote to first team squad
Van Hecke
Khadra
Cochrane

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There seems to be a bit of a consensus in Belgium football that he’s a likely transfer. Prestigious as the UCL group stage is, USG are very unlikely to progress and there’s far more money to be won just by staying in the Premier League, so I can see it happening, probably with young talent going the other way.

Not after we've sacked the board, me laddio.

Everyone has to go. ???

(was it only me who noticed that [MENTION=13230]Psychobilly freakout[/MENTION] wants us to get rid of [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] :lolol: Bit harsh, and unlikely to improve results.)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Hasn't had an assist all season has he?

Can’t remember any in particular, but I reckon created chances are actually a more useful stat than assists as the latter requires strikers that can hit a cow’s arse and convert the chance created for it to actually count.

Right Back

Marseille was magic
NSC Patron
Sep 21, 2017
Brighton
What are the Gross stats without corners, free kicks and penalties. Zero goals in 2 years and how many assists?

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
First decision is what to do about Gross and Welbeck, who are out of contract. On balance, I think they will both be let go.

There are a plethora of players out of contract in 2023, so it will be our last chance to get a fee for Maupay, Trossard and Biss. I think we extend the first 2 and MacAllister and sell Biss, using a chunk of the Biss money to replace Welbeck. It would appear that could be Brereton Diaz, and I think we could sweeten that deal by offering a couple more loan players to Blackburn (assuming they don't go up - Ferguson, Roberts and Mitoma would be options)

So who replaces Biss? At this point it looks like Moder or Caicedo.

I'd extend Van Hecke's deal and let Duffy go. I'd bring back Matt Clarke for Burn's spot.

I think Khadra will challenge Trossard, and I'd bring back Cochrane and let Solly go.

Agree with all this but would add that Mwepu is also partially capable of replacing Biss. Not like for like but dynamic, like Moder and we seem to have missed him recently, much like Webster.
Sarmiento will also be on the fringes I think.
As you say hopefully Brereton-Diaz in.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Based purely on how I’m arbitrarily feeling today:

Out
===

Bissouma - sell while we can get something (or get him to sign a new contract and buck his ideas up)

Trossard - as above, and if we can keep him, use him as cover if/when he finds his shooting boots. Half his woes are that he pretty much plays regardless. He needs to know that being ineffectual will get him hooked off, and he needs to double down on his shooting practice to be anything more than a squad player. Glad he’s taking shots, but might hope that most shots might equal (at least joint) most goals.

Connolly:- I wish him well, but I think his path lies elsewhere.

Andone - see above

In
==
Sima
Undav

If Trossard leaves, bring Zeqiri back if he’s shaping up or AN Other attacker in (and sell Zeqiri) if he isn’t. We can’t have players who regularly aren’t taking their chances being almost guaranteed starters. Keep Sarmiento in the squad.

I would actually keep Gross and March as backup in case of an injury crisis (unless Biss stays, in which case I’d sell Gross as Potter does not seem to get the best out of him) but play the youngsters in preference.

Bring Clarke back if we think he’ll make the grade, but if not then a left sided centre back has become a priority.

As others have said, if Scherpen will challenge Big Bob then let’s have him here, otherwise an experienced keeper of quality.

There has to be a point at which we cut our losses with some of our loan army and sell, ideally with buyback clauses for those where we feel they may be late bloomers.

Loan:

Ferguson:- to a team that will start him regularly. Ideally Championship, but League One if no takers. Regular competitive football a must.

Sure there’s more that need a loan, but I really don’t want Ferguson to go the same way as Connolly.

Best case scenario: bring the loanees home and instil some self-belief into the players.

Worst case scenario: Need a left-sided centre-back, a striker, a keeper and still a bit of self-belief.

A change of tack + strengthening the attacking coaching setup might help too. Can you coach poacher’s instinct? Could we at least try?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
The big question for me is whether we go back to Union for Dante Vanzeir. A goalscoring winger with a seemingly telepathic partnership with Undav (37 goals between them this season). Belgian international. Normally I would say he is a definite must for next season, but with RUSG playing in Europe, how much does Tony want to strip them of attacking talent.

Can’t we sell them some of our attacking talent??

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Out.
Bissouma
Trossard
March
Duffy
MaCallister
Connolly
Gross

In.
Upgrades for all the above plus another striker, cb, amf and cover for Lamptey and Cucurella

Approx £150million for the replacements plus £100 million for the covers.

Ever heard of FFP?
Who is paying for this?

I think you are in need of a dose of reality. :)

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Well then? Obviously this is all hypothetical, and we're probably going to stick to the mantra of 'evolution, not revolution', however we've actually been worse than last season despite being higher in the table for most of this season, we still can't score, but now we're not creating anywhere near as much and we haven't had the solid defence either. To be honest we could fnd ourselves in major s*** next season if we don't perform some significant surgery on that squad over the summer

Personally I don't think Undav on his own will be enough, so we could do with another forward coming in. Also think we need some added vision in the middle of the park, noticed that John Swift at Reading seems to have an expiring contract this summer, and leads the way for chances created in the championship by some distance for a poor side, so I'd be giving him a call, particularly if Groß doesn't stay. I also think we may sell Trossard, so another wide/attacking midfield player coming in could be necessary, someone like Johnson at Forest, particularly if the club feel that Khadra isn't ready. Not sure we need to replace Bissouma who will probably also go, think we're well stocked in that area, Caicedo can hopefully be the man we need. We could also definitely do with another left footed centre back, and in an ideal world an experienced keeper to help coach Sanchez.

In terms of departures, Trossard and Bissouma are two who I can envisage being sold, and I also think we need to have a clearout of the glut of central midfielders we have who are good with the ball at their feet but have absolutely zero end product. Obviously this all my own layman's opinion, however I do think the recruitment team have their work cut out this summer, that's for sure

Yes, a well constructed and thought out post but would you have come up with all of this after we beat Watford convincingly a month ago? I’m reminded of Kipling’s saying “if you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two imposters just the same”.
I suppose with the Albion it’s a case of we’re not as good we thought but not as bad as we fear. I’ll make my mind up around the beginning of May.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
At last a interesting thread I can release all the Brian's I want and sign all the flops I like.

Duffy - out sorry Shane.
Connolly- out I'm afraid.
March - out, thanks for the memories Solly
Clarke- out not EPL standard
Bissouma- already gone probably to Man Utd.
Roberts - out, would of used him by now.
Kedrah- out ( loan)
Gross- out sadly it's goodbye Pascal.
Lallana-just out, lovely hair but to much of a luxury.
Ferguson -out championship loan
Puepion gone
Miller- League 1 loan
Spong - league 1 loan

Probably a few more outs from the U23s as well.

Welbeck 1 year if he wants it.
Ostigard - back
Undav- in.
Nunez- in, yeah really.
Offiah- in from U23s.
Tolaj- back ( sneaky feeling he'll come good).
Vega in ( bloke down pub told me)
Mental Random signing Ryan Sessegnon.

Sorted, being a football manager is a doddle.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Hopefully someone comes in for Trossard.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Anyone starting these threads before the 'lap of dishonour' is normally slagged off. But imho this is fair game after 29 games and a strange season.

I'll leave in's to the club's experts. Impossible to be accurate, as dozens of other clubs are going for the same targets:

Personally I think we're crying out for pace and a threat, plus a CM with the energy and bite to take on teams offering the same.

Departures:
Bissouma - maximise the cash, his efforts over 6 months have largely been awful. Until the case, he seemed to win every 50:50 and 40:60 for about 18 months.
Duffy - a great character with strengths to his game, but we need to get back to CB's who can play the game, start attacks in a second.
Gross - takeaway the hilarious Cruyff Turns, what tangibly does he deliver?
March - I love the player, but if we're talking a brutal clear out and serious investment, another one to replace.
Welbeck - ditto.

Gross has got 15 goals and 26 assists for Brighton in the PL. if that’s not tangible enough I’d look up his chances produced numbers in comparison to other players (Gross is very good here).

But sadly I do agree with you. Gross is a fading force in this side and at 30 is unlikely to find his best again.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Right spelling will be all over the place and I can’t be bothered to google it - tried to keep realistic but stretching ourselves

Out
Connolly
Duffy
March
Gross
Welbeck
Swiss Andy
Bissouma (don’t want but take the money)

In (loans back)
Khadra
Van Hecke
Clarke
Undav
Kolowiski
Sima
Ostigard

Purchase - money on wages not transfers
Sessingon (loan?)
Lindgard - free (ok he will end up at another United but worth a punt)
Origi - free
Mainland-Niles (free?)
Brooks (Bournemouth- is he well enough?)
Johnstone (wba)

Plat 3-4-3

Sanchez / Johnstone / schiperen

Webster / van Hecke
Dunk / Ostigard
Veltman / Clarke

Cuccrella / sessingon
Lamptey / maitland Nile’s

Lallana / mwepu / moder / mcallister / Caicedio

Lindgard / kolowski / Khadra / trossard

Origi / undav / sima / Maupay

I think that stays in the 25 squad plus youngsters

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Gross has got 15 goals and 26 assists for Brighton in the PL. if that’s not tangible enough I’d look up his chances produced numbers in comparison to other players (Gross is very good here).

But sadly I do agree with you. Gross is a fading force in this side and at 30 is unlikely to find his best again.

This season next to nothing. Fact.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
In - A new attacking coaching team, and some new ideas.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Players I would try for:

Patterson (Everton) he only just moved there but they don’t seem to fancy him. If we could get him for 10/12m I think he would be a cracking player to keep Lamptey honest. We always lose pace when Lamptey is injured/rested. I’ve seen quite a lot of him up here (Glasgow) and think he will develop into a cracking player. If not him and Norwich go down Max Aaron’s would be good cover.

Ryan Sessegnon as cover at Left Wing back as above.

I would like Ben Brereton Díaz and if he’s not available and Bournemouth don’t come up I would try and get Solanke. I think the combination of his previous PL experience with the fact he can find the net now means he could do a job.

A total random one but if Everton went down I would try and get Pickford. He will need to be playing Premier League football for his World Cup ambitions and while bigger clubs might want him he’s not top 6 material so we would have a chance and his kicking game would suit us. I like Sanchez but not sure he’s ready to be number one for a whole season.

I think Newcastle may have some players available as they look to go to the stage and that’s worth keeping an eye on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here