Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] "You're French, and you know you are..."

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
My mum lives closer to Paris than me

And I live in France

But you haven't said where your mum lives. She could live on the outskirts of Paris for all we know.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Living where we do I feel I have more in common with the French , Belgians, Dutch and Irish than I do most of England.

Did you bottle it in a fight Zef ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why? I would love to live in the Highlands but suspect it may be tiresome for an Englishman living in a city in Scotland given the rise in racism towards the English up there.

I was a student in Dundee for 4 years and never had any problems with the Scots, far from it.

As for history, all of us working, living and travelling in an EU Single Market has created a feeling of being European. History is not so important anymore. I enjoyed being in the EU and feeling European, being part of 500 million people with a similar outlook on human rights, democracy, climate, workers rights. Real, tangible stuff - and it's dificult to feel affinity with an England that voted to reject all that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Did you bottle it in a fight Zef ?

Who knows how we would have ended up without the Polish airmen, and the US and Canadian Army?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I was a student in Dundee for 4 years and never had any problems with the Scots, far from it.

As for history, all of us working, living and travelling in an EU Single Market has created a feeling of being European. History is not so important anymore. I enjoyed being in the EU and feeling European, being part of 500 million people with a similar outlook on human rights, democracy, climate, workers rights. Real, tangible stuff - and it's dificult to feel affinity with an England that voted to reject all that.

Again fair enough. Without wishing to discuss the referendum, there are many citizens of the EU, a sizeable amount, who like the people who voted leave, are also not enamoured with it and would vote leave given a chance.

It appears to me that you like the freedom of the EU and all the advantages it gives which is understandable, but are willing to ignore the part of the European population which would choose the same outcome as the British you now feel no affinity with.

I can't understand that. If there were universal love for the EU in the EU then fair enough. But there isn't.

You embraced the European idea well, I have never felt 'European' in as much as I did not like the way the EU operated. Having said that, I felt and knew I was a European by birth and loved visiting my family in Germany and friends in France amongst other places.

Although a leaver, I much regret the referendum for the division it has caused in the UK and I also feel sadness that there will likely be difficulties between us and the EU, which is particularly galling in this time of world crisis.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Who knows how we would have ended up without the Polish airmen, and the US and Canadian Army?

Strange but today but my wife and I read the memorial/tutorial on Worthing seafront by the Canadian flag which waves on West Worthing promenade for those who lost their lives during the Dieppe rain in august 42...... 65 Worthing women married Canadian serviceman based in Worthing during their time here.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Again fair enough. Without wishing to discuss the referendum, there are many citizens of the EU, a sizeable amount, who like the people who voted leave, are also not enamoured with it and would vote leave given a chance.

It appears to me that you like the freedom of the EU and all the advantages it gives which is understandable, but are willing to ignore the part of the European population which would choose the same outcome as the British you now feel no affinity with.

I can't understand that. If there were universal love for the EU in the EU then fair enough. But there isn't.

You embraced the European idea well, I have never felt 'European' in as much as I did not like the way the EU operated. Having said that, I felt and knew I was a European by birth and loved visiting my family in Germany and friends in France amongst other places.

Although a leaver, I much regret the referendum for the division it has caused in the UK and I also feel sadness that there will likely be difficulties between us and the EU, which is particularly galling in this time of world crisis.

The anti- EU feeling in Europe is nothing like it is in England and Wales, and I think a big reason is that the ravages of war across that continent is a binding factor that doesn't resonate with Brits to the same extent.

I supported the Union position in the Scottish Independence referendum but now I find myself hoping they vote to leave the UK next time around. The English and Welsh don't have much love for the Scots, in much the same way they don't care for the EU much either. Scotland will do well in the EU, in time.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I recently saw a family tree that said I was descended from French Huguenots...on more than one line.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I recently saw a family tree that said I was descended from French Huguenots...on more than one line.

More than one line? Wow! They knew how to party those French Huguenots.

Hang on, you’re not going to turn into one of these are you?

#EuropeanNotBritish

#FPBE

9D8A8728-D703-4654-978A-B92CFC99BCD3.jpeg

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
More than one line? Wow! They knew how to party those French Huguenots.

Hang on, you’re not going to turn into one of these are you?

#EuropeanNotBritish

#FPBE

View attachment 133673

Oh god no, I wouldn’t embarrass myself, my family, my county and my country by dressing in the flag of a load of unelected bureaucrats.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
We are the closest Premier League club to Paris.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
T
The English and Welsh don't have much love for the Scots

I have never heard anyone Welsh declare any animosity towards the Scots - quite the reverse. I've been in packed pubs after Wales/Scotland games and it's one big love-in

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The anti- EU feeling in Europe is nothing like it is in England and Wales, and I think a big reason is that the ravages of war across that continent is a binding factor that doesn't resonate with Brits to the same extent.

I supported the Union position in the Scottish Independence referendum but now I find myself hoping they vote to leave the UK next time around. The English and Welsh don't have much love for the Scots, in much the same way they don't care for the EU much either. Scotland will do well in the EU, in time.

I agree that a huge unifying factor on the continent is the war. And agree we don't largely share the sentiment attached to preserving peace. I love the Scots, but like you think they should go their own way, I hope it would lead to a more healthy relationship with us English in particular. But re-entry into the EU is not a given, especially with the Catalonia problem.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Strange but today but my wife and I read the memorial/tutorial on Worthing seafront by the Canadian flag which waves on West Worthing promenade for those who lost their lives during the Dieppe rain in august 42...... 65 Worthing women married Canadian serviceman based in Worthing during their time here.

My dear, lovely and long departed mum was - by her own admission - a big fan of the Canadians billeted along the coast during WW2! Despite all the death and destruction she always said the war years were the most exciting and fun, especially for a young woman who ended up converting civilian trucks into troop-ready ones (in Brighton).

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
I just checked on google maps. Dublin 120 miles, London 184 both as the crow flies.

Does a crow ever fly in a straight line? I mean they’re greedy buggers and will always swoop down to nosh on a piece of carrion roadkill or similar. That alone will mess up journey plans and estimated distance. Ay theng yew! :drink:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

None of the, would jump to help us now, As a nation we've shat on pretty much all of Europe this last 5 years.

There are lots of scooter rallies and historic race meetings in northern europe, They head here regularly as well peas in a pod are we. Nothing like the sterotypical flag waving mod bollocks most people aware of when they think of scooters. That is very much an English thing, and frankly an embarassment to many.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here