Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your WORST Barnsley experience

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Despite my earlier post, I do have to say that my eldest lad was mascot there is 87 and the club could not have been more welcoming. Tour of the dressing room and offices. Allan Clarke ('Sniffer') was manager there and he let my lad and the Barnsley mascot take turns sitting in his leather swivel chair. Then the kickabout on the pitch with the players when they were warming up. Then we lost 3-1, and our scorer was a certain R Tiltman. Another conspiracy theory season when we got relegated with a half-back line of Wilson, Young and O'Reilly!

Mar 2, 2009
I remember the LC game well and even now it still stands as one of my worst away games ever. I was a student at Huddersfield Poly and a mate of mine drove up from Sussex to stay for a couple of days of Timmy Taylors induced student mayhem and to go to the Barnsley game. We drove over with minging hangovers from the previous night and found ourselves placed into the unsegregated terraced paddock at the front of their main stand. There was a smattering of Albion fans in the area surrounded by seemingly good natured Yorkies. Gatts scored and all seemed to be going to plan but then we proceeded to meekly capitulate to a high tempo Barnsley team driven on by Mick McCarthy - we had the piss 'royally' taken out of us by assorted flat capped whippet lovers for the remainder of the game who went out of their way to humiliate us as much as they could. Thankfully we were able to negotiate the remainder of the game without any fisticuffs, although it came close. I was livid as i knew i would have to endure weeks of piss taking from my generally northern fellow students... grim, but at least we didnt have to drive all the way back to Sussex! Ever since that night me and my mate have used this game as the benchmark for describing an exceptionally crap performance and away day experience and use only the one word 'Barnsley' to describe a bad game. I.e. Q -How was West Ham away? A - Barnsley....
Therefore nNo further explanation is required.
Btw dont get me started on the defeat to Huddersfield around that time when the back page of The Huddersfield Examiner screamed - Seagulls sunk by Towns Awesome Power...

rudeboy

Sep 17, 2008
was that when Brighton who were in the seats got battered , outside the main stand after the game ?

hi pal no i went to that aswell, people getting taxed on the train station, proper mad, but i was well young then. naughty to say the least. a regularity in those days sad to say das. btw charlie harper lives in seaford lol.

Jan 30, 2008
hi pal no i went to that aswell, people getting taxed on the train station, proper mad, but i was well young then. naughty to say the least. a regularity in those days sad to say das. btw charlie harper lives in seaford lol.
you're quite right on both counts, bro see him in Lewes the other week ,i got a bit confused :lolol:

Jan 30, 2008
first and only time i've taken my mrs too football :eek: her mum used to live in Sheffield so we went up for the August bank holiday, would of been around 9 years ago, drove too barnsley from sheffield, nice day shorts weather, nothing else to report :lolol:

rudeboy

Sep 17, 2008
first and only time i've taken my mrs too football :eek: her mum used to live in Sheffield so we went up for the August bank holiday, would of been around 9 years ago, drove too barnsley from sheffield, nice day shorts weather, nothing else to report :lolol:
a good one to put her off for life for sure lol. i bet ya done it on purpose

Jan 30, 2008
a good one to put her off for life for sure lol. i bet ya done it on purpose
believe it or not mate i didn't have a clue ,just woke up on the saturday morning in sheffield and found out we were playing in Barnsley, 8 miles wasn't a challenge so off we went , SHE SAID SHE LIKED IT :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here