Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your rivalry with Pompey

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
tinx said:
I know a guy whos a pompey fan and he continuously slags brighton off as being poofs and whenever he sees me he goes look out backs to the wal brighton fan nearby.

One of these days I'm gonna deck th ebloke.

Thats because hes a ****, not beciause he comes from Portsmouth

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yeah well I hate them. I remember the rivalry from the '80s, especially in the early '80s when us and Pompous were vying for promotion and Palace were too shit to be a threat.

Happy days.

Anyone else among the 23,000 at Fratton in '85 (when that was considered a big crowd)? I was about 2 foot from Noel Blake when he officially became the first person to score an own goal when under pressure from Mick Ferguson.

Last edited:

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
thedonkeycentrehalf said:
Pompey hatred is probably more of a West Sussex thing - Chichester is our County town and yet the shops there are full of Pompey gear.

Agree with that, I think its a West Sussex thing. I live as close to Pompey as I do to Brighton and probably hate them more than Palace.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I have always found it is beyond words.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Having had the misfortune to be sent to Portsmouth for several months by my work I really hate the place. Its a shit hole. Portsmouth people are chavvy knuckledraggers.

Portsmouth - a navy town where the streets are awash with seamen.

urghhh

Last edited:

Max's Dad

Jan 2, 2004
Eastbourne
Funnily enough I'm not too bothered by Pompey -- family connections account for this, which probably makes me a pikey in a lot of people's eyes.

Aside from Palace I reserve my contempt for Gillingham and Reading. I really like it when they lose. Bournemouth I'm not keen on either. When their league position is higher than ours it is, frankly, embarrassing.

I reckon it's a West Sussex thing, too. I know people, from West Sussex, who will happily sing GOSBTS at the cricket, but trot along to Fratton Park for the football. Gah.

BTW, Westwood was banned from Fratton for life sometime in the 80s (I think) but wheedled his way back in.

Last edited:

Jameson

Simster said:
Yeah well I hate them. I remember the rivalry from the '80s, especially in the early '80s when us and Pompous were vying for promotion and Palace were too shit to be a threat.

Happy days.

Anyone else among the 23,000 at Fratton in '85 (when that was considered a big crowd)? I was about 2 foot from Noel Blake when he officially became the first person to score an own goal when under pressure from Mick Ferguson.

It's not a west sussex thing - more of an age thing. Try 1970's - 30k crowds and severe violence - those that remember them then will not have fond memories...:angry:

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
It's Palace I don't like. You know.

Attachments

• cantana.gif
    cantana.gif
    72.1 KB · Views: 113

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
I used to have a memory of Portsmouth but it was punched out of me by a Pompey chimp sometime in the mid eighties outside Fratton. I have to rely on my friends word that I did attend that day. Hate the place (apparently).

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
When not at uni, I live pretty much equidistant from both Brighton and Portsmouth, and I have a fairly strong hatred of Pompey.

Due to my closeness to Chichester, and the fact I regularly go there the pro Pompey bias of the shops, not to mention you always see so many Pompey shirts around town (though funnily enough less this season that last for some reason!) annoys me.

I have had the misfortune to meet a fair number of mouthy Pomepy scum which has probably contributed to my dislike for them. That said as there are so many Pompey where I live I also have some good friends who happen to be Pompey and we get on OK when talking football too.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, I prefer Southampton over Portsmouth, we seem to have a more friendly "rivalry" (if that even exists) with them, and their fans stand out as being very supportive of Falmer.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I can't stand Southampton! Trumped up joke of a side that has scraped an existance in the Prem for waaaaaaaaaaaaay to long! They need a bloody good dose of Nationwide footy to make them realise that they are only the third best supported club on the south coast!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here