Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Nobby Horton memories?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
For people who were there at the time...

Question: How did Brian Horton fare in midfield for Brighton in the top flight?

I appreciate how instrumental Horton was in Brighton's rise to the top flight, and none of this is to deny that Horton is and will always be an Albion legend.
Even so, from the limited video footage I've seen, it appears that Horton was nowhere as influential in the heart of midfield in 1979-80 and 1980-81. In fact, it often looked like he was struggling to keep up with the pace and skill of opposition midfielders.

I appreciate this was well before my time of going to watch the Albion and that what limited footage there is may give a misleading impression. If anyone can clear this up, I'd appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Nobby Horton was arguably our greatest ever player. Captaining the team that won us promotion to the top flight, confirms this surely, he was the heartbeat of our best ever team.

When he came back as manager I, for one, was delighted. All those of you who snidely go on about him leaving us, I think you should remember where we were as a club at that time. Playing in front of 1800 odd Albion fans in a shit ground in the arse end of Kent. The fans had, understandably, deserted the team, so I'm not surprised he moved on. You could tell today in his commentary how much he genuinely cared about the Albion. So a pat on the back to him.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I spoke to him just after he joined as a player when we were getting train to York or some such northern place...was well chuffed when he recognised me on the return journey..... legend.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
:bowdown:

Attachments

• brianhorton.jpg
    brianhorton.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 149

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
If my memory serves... during my footballing teens (I was 14 or 15 I think) in the mid 70's, Nobby came to watch my club, Kingston Village Junior FC (he was a friend of the manager Alan Walters) to see if we had any talent. There were 3 or 4 of us being showcased, myself included, and I had a shit game...... effectively ending any chance of being spotted. :shrug::blush: Just as well I discovered drink, women and politics!

He and Wardy did a public meeting, for us too I recall. Both are absolute Albion legends. Nobby will always be my favourite Albion player. :thumbsup::albion1::bowdown:

Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Nobby was the best captain we ever had.

He learnt his trade in the lower leagues with Port vale and then Albion so, although he might have seemed lacking when up against the best in the land, his influence & drive never waned.

After he left Albion, seemingly he was on his way down, he captained luton as they reached the top flight and captained them at that level. Such influence on the pitch made up for any shortcomings in talent, not that i think there were many.

Again, in management, his drive has produced more sucess than failure. an Albion legend.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
missed a penalty against Scarborough in the FA cup circa 1978
we still won 3-0 if my memory serves me right .

Taking this on a slight tangent. The then manager of Scarboro was a certain Neil Warnock. He gave a TV interview soon after the draw as made to effectively say they 'Scarborough' were disappointed to draw us and not a Div 1 glamour club.

Mulery said in the Argus that he did not need to motivate his players for the game.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Nobby was the best captain we ever had.

He learnt his trade in the lower leagues with Port vale and then Albion so, although he might have seemed lacking when up against the best in the land, his influence & drive never waned.

After he left Albion, seemingly he was on his way down, he captained luton as they reached the top flight and captained them at that level. Such influence on the pitch made up for any shortcomings in talent, not that i think there were many.

Again, in management, his drive has produced more sucess than failure. an Albion legend.

THANK YOU! That's fully answered my question. :thumbsup:

Can't be arsed to text in as requested.

My outstanding memory of our best ever captain whilst I have watched the Albion is of him trying to ref as well as play in every game :lolol:

Running arguement all game sometimes, I'm suprised he didn't get sent off for it.

Good goal record as well

I still vividly remember his goal (our first) against Newcastle at St James' Park in 1979.

Didn't realise he was at Prenton Park on Saturday but coincidentally found myself during the second half thinking that "we could do with Brian Horton on the pitch now".

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
One weekday afternoon in the 80s I was in Hull with the family and we decided to go and look at the old ground. The team were about to get on a coach to take them to long distance away game. My daughter, a pretty-as-a-picture teenager, wanted an autograph and trotted over towards them. The players preened. She walked past them all and asked the balding, tired-looking manager for his signature. He looked surprised. She explained that she was a Brighton supporter. "Ah," he said quietly, "They were the great days." He asked for her name and added a little x to his signature.

Excellent. Good girl.

Talkin of autographs, really random this, waiting for the players to arrive like you did when you were 12 in 1979, some teenager asked Nobby for his autograph and asked him to write 'To Sharon..' Nobby replied 'i'm in a a bit of a hurry can I just sign it? He then clearly felt a bit bad and engaged this fella in conversation 'Is that your girlfriend etc'
I thought to myself it would have been so much easier just to have done it. Funny what you remember

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
For people who were there at the time...

Question: How did Brian Horton fare in midfield for Brighton in the top flight?

I appreciate how instrumental Horton was in Brighton's rise to the top flight, and none of this is to deny that Horton is and will always be an Albion legend.
Even so, from the limited video footage I've seen, it appears that Horton was nowhere as influential in the heart of midfield in 1979-80 and 1980-81. In fact, it often looked like he was struggling to keep up with the pace and skill of opposition midfielders.

I appreciate this was well before my time of going to watch the Albion and that what limited footage there is may give a misleading impression. If anyone can clear this up, I'd appreciate it. :thumbsup:

His role changed in the 1st Division from being the marauding playmaker to being the defensive, holding player. That didnt really show him at his best. I remember games where the perfomance of the team was not great and he would drive the players on with sheer energy and commitment on to succeed. He had a good skill level too. Great player and captain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here