World Cup

• Pre 1962

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1962 - Chilie - Winners Brazil

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
the classic football thread has got me thinking of Italia 90, my favourite World Cup so far, and the first one I remember, so what was your favourite/most memorable.

I did like 2006 as it was the first one I was lucky enough to see England play live in, but for me Italia 90 was the NUTS

wctrp_751_general.jpg

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I've always had a soft spot for '82 - Robson after 27 seconds, Gerry Armstrong, Brazil 2-3 Italy, Germany v France semi final, Tardelli's celebration and when you watch any of it now the quality of the footage just screams '1982'. A real belter.

I'm sure most would say '70 though.

'90 can't win because of the final.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Mexico 1970. 1966 was great obviously but we were all really looking forward to 1970 and it didn't disappoint. It was a much better tournament - and we didn't go out on penalties!

Don't remember much about 1962 as I was only 5. There certainly wasn't the hype that surrounds it now, Partly that's down to technology; there was no satellite link-ups and the only way to get film back to England was to stick it on an airplane. I didn't even know who won until about Christmas when I asked my Dad. I remember being surprised it was Brazil as I didn't think they played football in Africa (I was only 5 remember).

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Wasn't the '94 final 0-0 after extra time?

I remember it being the most boring match ever.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
First I remember was Spain 82 when I was 11. Gerry Armstrong's goal. Robson notching after 27 seconds. Germany / Austria stitch up. Paulo ROSSI. Harald SCHUMACHER.

My favourite and most memorable was Mexico 86. It seemed so amazingly EXOTIC. Games at ALTITUDE. Lineker's golden boot. The cheating Argie.

Italia 90 was my first under the influence of BEER. I watched all the games in halls at Uni, which was a great laugh. 60-odd folk crammed into common rooms round little TVs. No big plasmas back then. Gutted when we went out. Gutted.

86 wins.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
1990 didnt have the most goals BUT it did have

Oman Biyik CHOPPING Cannigia
Toto Schillachi
David Platt in the last minute of extra time
Roger Milla
Rene Huigita running all over the show
David O'Leary winning a PENNO shootout
and of course GAZZA crying

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
For me, it has to be the only one I actually got excited about, France '98. With the blue and red bird. and the PC game was fab. I was only 10 and I had the GREATEST summer !! :p

Albion Rob

I think that in terms of goals per game, Italia 90 was the worst or one of the worst.

However, for me, at nine-years-old it was just amazing. All this football on the TV all the time. Home from school in time for Romania v Russia then Germany v Yugoslavia in the evening. All these exotic foreign players that I had heard about but only seen vaguely on Sportsnight (remember that not only were foreign players few and far between in the Barclays First Division but also English clubs were banned from Europe).

For me, the whole thing was amazing and England were within a whisker of the final. I was pretty convinced that this was how football would always be and to that extent, no other World Cup has ever really come close since.

As an addition, in the build up to the first game, the commentator (probably Brian Moore) noted that the San Siro was excellent, a world away from any stadia in England and how we would never host another major tournament because of our appalling venues.

How thins would change over the enxt 10 years - it's the Italians with crumboling grounds now....

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
First one I remember was '78 with the amazing ticker tape celebration when hosts Argentina beat Holland 3-1, with two goals from Mario Kempes

The most amazing World Cup tie I ever saw was the W. Germany v. France semi-final of the '86 World Cup when Schumacher scythed down Battiston when clean through, causing a serious injury, and the Italian referee awarded a goal kick

All of England's exits have been chokers, but 2010 looks promising

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
First one I remember was '78 with the amazing ticker tape celebration when hosts Argentina beat Holland 3-1, with two goals from Mario Kempes

The most amazing World Cup tie I ever saw was the W. Germany v. France semi-final of the '86 World Cup when Schumacher scythed down Battiston when clean through, causing a serious injury, and the Italian referee awarded a goal kick

All of England's exits have been chokers, but 2010 looks promising

Oct 25, 2003
first i remember was 94, which i don't remember being that good, neither was '98 really....apart from england-argentina there weren't many great games

2002 was ok- i loved watching those mad senegal players and all the mental korean and japanese fans

Percy Flage

Perfidious Albion Exile
Nov 6, 2008
The High Weald
1966 for obvious reasons
It was the first one I remember and I assumed we won every time
Must confess have been a tad disappointed ever since

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed

How right you are

I now remember being lagered off my tits watching the '86 semi between said teams in The Stanmer Park, without GBH being occasioned to Battiston (again), but watched the '82 semi at home, where it was :dunce:

Same outcome both times, and both classic matches

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
1970 was the first I remember, and it was brill.

Apparently I watched the '66 final (so I'm told), but I was 4 and have no recollection of it WHATSOEVER.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
1990 as it was the first time I followed England to a tournament.

Getting to the semi-final was an amazing achievement and the whole experiance was fanatstic (if a little hair raising at times!)

I nearly got sacked from work as well, I phoned my boss before the Belgium game in Bologna and told him I wouldnt be back until we got knocked out! The trip last quite a few more days.

Pictures can be found at

England Away: World Cup 1990 in Italy

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
World Cups are ALWAYS qualla. Italia 90 would have been the worst, except that we did as well as we've ever done in my living memory. 1994 was fairly decent with MASSIVE crowds but we weren't in it, so it loses points. 1998 was decent, except that France won which mean we no longer have WC bragging rights over them. :(

The first I really remember was 1982 and that was great in a wide-eyed kind of way, but my fave is probably 1986. Maradona was quite briiliant and made the tournament. And when he wasn't, he won games by CHEATING. Put bluntly, 1986 was surely the only major tournament ever won by one man. i.e. you could have put him in any of the top 8 sides (out of 24) and they'd have won it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The first I really remember was 1982 and that was great in a wide-eyed kind of way, but my fave is probably 1986. Maradona was quite briiliant and made the tournament. And when he wasn't, he won games by CHEATING. Put bluntly, 1986 was surely the only major tournament ever won by one man. i.e. you could have put him in any of the top 8 sides (out of 24) and they'd have won it.

Apart from Platini, single-handedly winning Euro 1984.

Mar 13, 2008
I voted the 2006 one as the final was on my birthday and I sat with all my friends and watched it.

Lovely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here