Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your most disliked Albion player ever !!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Dale Jasper hung around the first team squad for an inexplicably long time under Barry Lloyd.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Couldn't think of anyone and was about to come over all holy joe and sanctimonious about supporting all the players.................. but then I saw Mickey Thomas' name! :lol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Leon Knight and CKR are possibly the ONLY players in 30 years that I've actively disliked. Knight was a horrible little man. CKR was arrogant and lazy - probably largely Knight's fault too - he was clearly a terrible influence on him.

Of course there were others as a kid who against whom I held it personally that they were selected ahead of my favourites, but that's not the same!

I think Graeme Smith is probably the WORST player I've ever seen, but he didn't have the personality defects like Knight, to actually deserve to not be liked.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
He's the best player iv'e every seen in a Brighton Shirt, saying that whenever i have heard him interviewed he never mentions his time at Brighton all you get is Liverpool blah blah blah.

Really?

In the 1980s, Mark Lawrenson's autobiography mentions his time at Brighton:
"I loved Brighton as soon as I saw the place, bright, bustling and cosmopolitan... I defy anyone not to like living in Brighton. I could see myself staying there permanently long after my football career was over."

In the 1990s, in 'Soccer in the 70s' Mark Lawrenson mentions his time at Brighton:
Soccer in the 70s: Gary Lineker meets Alan Mullery, Mark Lawrenson and Jimmy Case - YouTube

In the 2000s, in Spencer Vignes' 'A Few Good Men' Mark Lawrenson mentions his time at Brighton:
"I remember my Goldstone days with affection. I made many friends in the area and I still come down from time to time... Yes, my Goldstone days will live with me forever."

in the 2010s, he mentions his time in the Football Focus programme at the Amex.

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Ryan Harley, is an oxygen theif and a bit of a prick as well. Asked him if he could sign my lads Shirt and he simply grunted a No and walked away. By far the worst player in our current squad, i cant believe he keeps Matt Sparrow off the bench!

Why would you want him to sign your lad's shirt?

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Fred Binney who thought he should have played ahead of Peter Ward was a cock. The other one I hate is Muwway

Andy Kennedy was up his own arse. Remember him giving the North Stand the cupped ear gesture after scoring.

+1
I remember when we were away at Exeter (oh the giddy heights of the mid 90's). He was warming up and getting some stick from the fans. To get his own back, he decided to shoot the ball into the crowd...but Andy being Andy he simply blasted it over to cheers from the crowd.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Fred Binney who thought he should have played ahead of Peter Ward was a cock. The other one I hate is Muwway

To be fair, Binney was top scorer in the side, and former Golden Boot winner, whereas Ward was some unknown lightweight-looking reserve player.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Teddy Maybank
and Glen Geard, but I can't remember why now.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I have a team of them, one for all positions.
But Mark Walton would be top of my list.

Mark Walton (Goalkeeper)
Jammie Cambell (FB)
Jason Dodd (FB)
Darren Carr (CD)
Colin Hawkins (CD)
David Lee (MF)
Dale Jasper(MF)
Geoff Pitcher (MF)
Jason Peake (MF)
Dave Cameron (Striker)
Johnny Dixon (Striker)

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I'm honesty staggered some 'hilarious' bellend hasn't said Barnes or Dicker yet.

Harley makes me angry for the way he swaggers about the pitch like he's Zinedine Zidane when in fact he's contributed the square root of f*** all and bottles every 50/50 tackle like a girl guide, but it strikes me he's actually just not very good and a bit spineless, rather than neccessarily a twat.

CKR was far more dislike-able IMO - had a brief semi-hero status for the nature he came in, and has shown since by playing at the world cup & champions league that he always had talent - but the arrogance, selfishness and stroppiness of the man very quickly expunged the initial good will. Him and knight were a terrible influence on each other.

Barnes. I just don't get it.

Oh, never mind.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I have a team of them, one for all positions.
But Mark Walton would be top of my list.

Mark Walton (Goalkeeper)
Jammie Cambell (FB)
Jason Dodd (FB)
Darren Carr (CD)
Colin Hawkins (CD)
David Lee (MF)
Dale Jasper(MF)
Geoff Pitcher (MF)
Jason Peake (MF)
Dave Cameron (Striker)
Johnny Dixon (Striker)

Are they just players who were rubbish, rather than players you simply disliked? (not necessarily the same thing!).

Probably Teddy Maybank for me.

Dean 'Wendy' Wilkins rightly got a lot of stick, but did improve. Codnor had a fair bit of skill (remember the 40-yard goal at Plymouth?) and could be great on his day, but never a fans' favourite.

Agree with the posters who mentioned Gary Chivers and Alan Curbishley - I had an irrational dislike of them too... and a vote for Gary O'Reilly. Not a bad defender, but his distribution was absolutely terrible. He was totally incapable of passing the ball out of defence. And he defected to Palace.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
What the 'football genius' that marked JOHN BARNES out of the game twice!
Yep, the one giving the North Stand the finger and incapable of crossing the football without it going out for a goal kick. 'Football genius' was a pisstake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here