I had one of these all conquering beasts -
made in Wales no less !!!!

Dragon32.jpg

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Toronto Seagull said:
1. Sinclair ZX81 with the 16K Ram pack.

Ahh yes the 16k wobblepack. The hours I spent typing in a program (a "skiing" game as I recall) only for it to crash and reset.

Remember the thermal paper too?

Mine was an Oric Atmos followed by a Dragon 32.

Halcyon days!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A BBC with a programme written for me that only did stocktaking and letter writing nothing else, in about 1979 ish. My wife usd to operate it as you punched in a figure and then enter that took you to the next item for you do the same until you reached the last entry and you punched finish and it produced a stock report. Absolutely brilliant and simple to use as I said my wife used to sit and operate it at home in between her household chores and looking after the children.

Last edited:

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
My first was an Amstrad 8256 PCW which used 3" disks to boot up. The word processor programme that you could load up was pretty good and to be able to copy and paste was a great new trick at that time (I think mid to late 80's). I've still got the whole system in my loft.

Curious Orange said:
A BBC B, with a monster 32k of RAM. Yes, a whole 32k!!
Me too.

Then an Amstrad PCW9512. How advanced it seemed when I dispensed with the cassette tape deck and had those funny disks instead. And it came with its own monitor, not the black & white tv that I'd previously been using. To enhance the word processing capability, I had three sets of daisywheels. And Supercalc for spreadsheets.

BBC B on eBay for £10

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
BBC B, then an Amstrad 80286? PC

Was the only person at college with a "pc", typing my essays using wordperfect for DOS

In between I did play about with an RM Nimbus ? Writing my pascal programs on wordstar.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
One of these:-

IBM 360

That's an IBM 360, it wasn't actually mine but I worked on it for American Express when they had the European Head Office in Haywards Heath.

It had 240K of what is now known as RAM (in those days we called it Core as the memory was in fact made of Ferite Core, silicone was only found in wax polish then). It took up a room the size of a basketball court which had full air conditioning and smoke detection and CO2 gas dispensers. The only way to communicate with it was via command through the 'Golf Ball' teletype console or punch cards and paper tape. Most of the output was on a line printer. It was highly volatile and cost a fortune.

They don't make them like that anymore (thank God).

Last edited:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
The original IBM Ps/2 with 640k of RAM and a 20mb hard drive.

Prince of Persia and PGA Tour Golf in black & white. Happy days

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
My mum got a ZX81 from my uncle but can't remember doing much on it really. Remember being facinated about the "space" key. Thought it had something to do with starwars.

Then came an Amstrad 464. Green screen at first then with a modulator so I could play it on the tv. Harrier Attack was class, but so was TT racer and Ghostbusters. Best thing I got for it though was the Light Gun, which came with Operation Wolf.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here