Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite GB track and field moment.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The T & F starts soon, and although through lottery funding we have never spent so much on training our athletes, it looks like it will be a very poor showing, by all concerned. Lets get into the spirit anyway, with some of your greatest moments.

Firstly I give you the Mens 4x400m relay from The Tokyo World Championships, 1991.
Listening to it again, I can't help thinking Colman was a sh*te commentator.

YouTube - 1991 World Championships 4x400m full race

Yoda

English & European
Being in the crowd in Athens when our 4 x 1 boys beat the yanks.

As for these games, Martyn Rooney might surprise a few in the 400m. There's Phillips Idowu & Nathan Douglas in the Triple Jump.

In the womens, Christine Ohuruogu & Nicola Sanders in the 400m and I would keep an eye on Marilyn Okoro in the 800m. Can also seeing the 4x400 girls getting a medal.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
I dont like to blow my own cello, but at the Beacon School Sports Day in 1986 I won the 1500, 800, 400, 200, and 100 metre races (all by quite some distance). Then set school records in the spear chucking thing, the metal ball luzzing event and then the grey plate slinging comp. After a couple of pints in The White Hart I went back and won the triple and long jumps by clearing the whole sand pit. i was due to go in the high jump but I suffered a fett hock sprain so Mr Bird pulled me out to give some of the other girls a chance.

Watching Steve Ovett win the 1500 in Moscow and realising that he and I had raced each other at Withdean a few years earlier in the Sussex Schools Championship.

As he was European Junior champion at the time, all the schools knew he was a shoe in (as they say) for the 1500m so Hove Grammar put their worst in (me) in a vain attaempt to protect their points scorers for other races.

Suffice to say that I started on the same lap as a future Olympic champion and ........................ we finished on different laps.

Beaten by an Olympic champion tho...........

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
When its all finished

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Kelly Holmes finally winning a gold was cool, then doubling up, that was great.

PS Can I just make a plea to continue calling it 'athletics', rather than further Americanising our already contaminated English with the phrase 'track & field'? Ta.

D

Deleted member 2719

Mark Rowland Sussex Lad getting the bronze in the 3000m steeplechase in Seoul in 1988.

A unexpected medal and he pushed those Kenyans all the way and he went to my school!!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Steve Ovett in 1980.
Ovett is a legend & I would still like to give a kicking to those smelly twats who stole my hero's statue.

Why haven't we got a new statue?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I concur.

Some athletes can be pretty indifferent, or not particularly likeable, or just make you suspicious that they're on drugs.

The look on Kelly Holmes's face when she won is what the Olympics are all about for me, that explosion of joy and the realisation that years of effort and tears have paid off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

PS Can I just make a plea to continue calling it 'athletics', rather than further Americanising our already contaminated English with the phrase 'track & field'? Ta.

I'm going to take issue with you about that.
As a rule I'd be right with you regarding the bastardisation of our language, but I guess due to my formative years being spent hunched over frantically taping out a regular pace, before popping a vein, has made T & F as english as apple pie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here