Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favorite landmark in the UK

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Southwick power station. A great landmark, you were never lost if you could see it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think you have OBVIOUSLY forgotton the big one:

lifemagi1.jpg

There is a division FOUR "stadium" right outside it too, which obviously we will never get the chance to play at again. :down:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
First choice landmark is-
Lullington Church
The Smallest Church in Sussex-
Enough parking for two cars and seating for around 12.
Only service is evensong- 3.00 pm on last Sunday of the month.

Second choice is Resident Records- Kensington Gardens. Not really a landmark as its a shop but its the best Independent Record Store in the country.Fact!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Power%20station1001.jpg

love seeing her in action when heading north to an away game - particularly on the line that passes next to it

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Power%20station1001.jpg

love seeing her in action when heading north to an away game - particularly on the line that passes next to it

I feel the same about the Twin Towers of Luton/Dunstable: always a real landmark sighting on the M1:jester:

3105850844_0a23f9b63c_o.jpg

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Long distance views of which have of course be marred by the Shard which completely unbalances London's skyline.

Shard_415.jpg

I get the train every day at London Bridge - directly udnerneath the Shard, but never seen this angle - you don;t appreciate it's size from beneath. There was a story in the papers the other day that there is apparently a protected view from primrose hill which has now been ruined, by the very vista you have posted.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
talking of ednas tower blocks hollingdean from tenantry down/warren road. only looking straight down bear road do you get the view of their full height.

20b_Sunflower_at_TD_with_twin_towers_s.jpg

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I like the Skyscraper City website, nerdy perhaps but good for a look at projects from past, present and future. There's a whole thread on there about tower blocks, featuring loads of photos from various urban horrors. Evidently there is a section of the architectural community that gets all misty eyed about them (I'm talking the classic 1960s genre, as featured above) :lol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Angel of the North for me.

Even if the Americans couldn't understand her accent.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Got to be this for me. Any news bulletin, anywhere in the world, that wants to illustrate that a story relates to London, or even the UK as a whole, tends to use Big Ben or the Palace of Westminster. It's an absolute work of art IMHO, doesn't matter how many times I go to London, I still love it and it still has the power to make me go "wow". It's iconic and beautiful (regardless of the pillocks who occupy it most of the time).

bigben.jpg

Palace_of_Westminster%2C_London_-_Feb_2007.jpg

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Speaking of landmarks, I just googled "white cliffs of Dover", and these were two of the images that came up, captioned as Dover with all the accompanying fluff about bluebirds and Vera Lynn. Now I could be wrong here, as I am no cliff-expert, but aren't these in fact the white cliffs of, er, Eastbourne? All seven of them?

LondonTaxiTour.Com-Outside-London-Transfer-Tours-White-Cliffs-of-Dover.jpg
seven.jpg

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
03877.jpg

rochdale town hall - so good that if the nazi's won the war, hitler wanted it rebuilt in germany

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
03877.jpg

rochdale town hall - so good that if the nazi's won the war, hitler wanted it rebuilt in germany

I was WELL impressed with that, wasted on Rochdale :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here