Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your early impression of the new signings

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Impossible to judge the players on the first half performance as all were poor. 2nd half was a lot better but we still seem to be missing another Chippy or Paul Rogers pushing forward.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
I think we are close to a strong enough team.

I don't like the lack of footballing ability in defence. Our defence is very much no nonsense but nobody is able to pick passes out and keep us on the front foot. Would like to see Tunnicliffe given a game in Tuesday.

Think the midfield should be Thornhill and Dicker with two front men.

Out of all the signings, I rated Mark Wright the most on todays performance...

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
FFS we had six new signings in the team. Of course we're not going to do brilliantly early on. For what it's worth I reckon we were worth a point today, just didn't get it. Dickinson looks good, Jake Wright started poorly but grew in confidence as the game went on and the others did alright. We'll be fine.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
If you listened to the fans forum you would have heard Russell himself say that it's a fact of football that when you sign 9/10 players some will be great, some will be ok, some will not work out. I have given my opinion on who falls into what category based on today's evidence. Don't see the problem in that. Feel free to bounce this in a couple of months if I'm wrong.

You don't get it do you. Nobody in their right mind is expecting all the players signed to be a success, it's just that some of us know that it's too early after ONE GAME to say we should get rid of a player.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I'm not going to slag us off, because when we attacked, i thought we looked as if we could be good. Dickinson will get better, had a goodish game. Better than average, but no goals to show. RS did say he has had a slow start but i saw flickers of what could be.

Navarro. He looked class! I don't get why there is nothing better than "average" being said. He lost the ball more than his fair share, but did then win it back a fair amount. Him over Crofts, easily.

Crofts. I can see the player that can be. I thought he looked a little rough around the edges, but Slade can smooth out the cracks and he'll be a solid 6/10 every week player.

Mark Wright. Same as Dickinson, with beating men, looked quite sharp and just lacked that final ball in, but i think this will improve over time.

Jake Wright. Going to be a big player. Shown glimpses of what his potential today.

Thornhill. Hmmm... least impressed with him out of the six after this first game, but saying that, i don't think anyone out there played to their best. i'm not going to doubt Thornhill's ability, but will he fit in? Maybe. Harder to predict this one.

Oct 24, 2007
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
Some of us did say the new players, on paper, looked distinctly mediocre. On today's evidence we're right. Anyone disagree with this?

Dickinson - the one exception, our best player by a mile, joke substitution by Russell to take him off. Verdict: Class act.

Crofts - we've got rid of Fraser and replaced him with exactly the same player. Ran round lots, didn't actually get near the ball. Verdict: Get rid.

Navarro - better than Crofts but still VERY slow and predictable. Verdict: The jury remains out but a guilty decision looms.

Mark Wright - looks to me like he'll produce moments of magic but they will be too few and far between. Verdict: Better than what we've got but a bit too Paul Brooker for my liking.

Jake Wright - considering Walsall didn't actually attack us for the last 70 minutes, he managed to get skinned a bit too frequently. Not disastrous though. Verdict: Adequate back-up for Jimmy Mac and the centre-halves.

Thornhill - didn't really get involved. Verdict: Impossible to say.

Thought Crofts should nave gone off at half time. The midfielders certainly cancelled one another out first half and I thought Thornhill might have played better without Crofts or Narravo getting in his way. Dickinson looked better when he had Forster playing with him. As for Jake Wright I think the more games he gets the the more confident he'll become.

Today was dissappointing and frustrating, but it's only one game.

Keep the faith, things can only get better (hopefully)

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Dickinson- Says he doesn't mind playing on his own. But on today efforts he seemed frustrated when he won the ball in the air and nobody read his flick ons, but he was our best player on that pitch today and needs somebody up there with him maybe Fozzie or Davies when he is fit.

Crofts- Seemed to do alot of running round, but never created anything but won alot of tackles, still needs a few more games to see what he actually gives to the team and our midfield.

Navarro- Still lacks match practice, but he did seem comfortable on the ball and can deliver a good pass out wide.

Mark Wright- Needs to shout for the ball more, got into good positions out wide and skinned his man a few times, his crossing is abit inept but hopefully he will improve whilst the season gets going.

Jake Wright- Looked shaky at the start, but got into his own and worked hard, won alot of tackles but doesn't get forward enough for my liking, but it does give Slade another option for cover for Jim McNulty.

Matt Thornhill- Abit shocked that he started, but never really got into the game. Should of played Dicker!

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Thought Crofts should nave gone off at half time. The midfielders certainly cancelled one another out first half and I thought Thornhill might have played better without Crofts or Narravo getting in his way. Dickinson looked better when he had Forster playing with him. As for Jake Wright I think the more games he gets the the more confident he'll become.

Today was dissappointing and frustrating, but it's only one game.

Keep the faith, things can only get better (hopefully)

Yeah, Crofts, I thought was the worst player overall today, however it was Thornhill who didn't show what he could be the most if that makes sense.

Thornhill = Show'd the least potential
Crofts = had the worst game.
Navarro = Third best midfeilder behind Wright and Cox (who deserved that standing ovation the C and D block gave him from what i saw)

Agree with all your points, yet i didn't see an improvement from Dickinson when fozzy came on. I thoguht he had a hard working game, and just needs to find the net a once or twice in the next game/game after and he'll be up and running. Very Impressed

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Navarro schizophrenic today, when he was good he was good when he was bad he was awful - what was that back heel all about late in the second half? Suicide ball

Thornhill - woeful today
Crofts - quiet and not interested
Dicko - shite 1st half, great touch second - 50/50
M Wright - v good, I like his pace and commitment
J Wright - best of the bunch, looks like a seasoned pro at this level

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
both wrights look good
Dickinson good 2nd half
crofts,thornhill and navaro out of sorts

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
Navarro, slow, over weight, game passed him by. Won't last the season. Play Dicker instead.

Spot on, Dicker is a far better player.

Thought Dickinson looked superb, a great signing guarenteed to score goals.

Mark Wright did quite well but didn't take any defenders on, otherwise did well.

Thornhill looked pretty poor to be honest.

Crofts looked better than Navarro, got stuck in well

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Mark Wright will become a great player this season, the rest still need to improve to be better than the players they are replacing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here