Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your bad experiences of amatuer football

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
A team I used to play for used to enjoy punting the ball up the pitch and have me chase it. One particular game from kick-off the ball was hoofed up the pitch, I chased it and being the fast one on the team I usually caught the ball with ease. However, I think this team had noticed this from the previous game we played them that our game plan was based on this. Their biggest lump of a defender decided to tackle me, but he must have thought he was playing eggball because he just dived on me, and my momentum took me rolling over and he was on top of me, I heard this cracking from inside my shoulder/neck. It was a sick sound. I lay there thinking he'd actually broken my neck.

Lucky for me it turns out I'd just cracked my ribs, and being a lads game, they all tried to grab me and pull me up. Was a painful one.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Was playing in a Sunday morning match back in the 80s when everyone was suffering after a heavy night out. One of our midfielders went up for a header and shat himself. Wasn't nice :sick:

I can confirm that although regular NSCers papajaff and spiros were on the pitch, they weren't the player in question.

Seeing the pain of a broken collarbone, i remember one of our players breaking his and getting subbed. Not knowing it was broken, he came to the pub afterwards and was sat on a stool when the opponent who had broken it came up, apologised and gave him a hearty slap on the back, causing him to collapse in a heap on the floor of the pub.

And just remembered same player having an epileptic fit in the showers. When someone asked 'what should we do ?' the inevitable reply came 'chuck the kit in with him'. We were never the most sympathetic of teams.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Funniest was in a pre-season 'freindly' for my Sunday team, against another local side, very well known to us - lads that my mates went to school with and that.

The opposition's best player starts the game pretty well, and is pretty much running things in the middle. Our (mouthy little fucker of a ) striker says "I'll sort this out". Two minutes later our lad is flat on his back, after a haymaker from their guy, who's reacted badly to something mouthy has whisperered to him. Cue the inevitable 20-man handbags. Then as captain, I'm looking for the ref, to take control, and I can't see him. Someone then shouts "There he is, look" - and there's the ref about 100 yards away, pedalling furiously away on his bike.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Funniest was in a pre-season 'freindly' for my Sunday team, against another local side, very well known to us - lads that my mates went to school with and that.

The opposition's best player starts the game pretty well, and is pretty much running things in the middle. Our (mouthy little fucker of a ) striker says "I'll sort this out". Two minutes later our lad is flat on his back, after a haymaker from their guy, who's reacted badly to something mouthy has whisperered to him. Cue the inevitable 20-man handbags. Then as captain, I'm looking for the ref, to take control, and I can't see him. Someone then shouts "There he is, look" - and there's the ref about 100 yards away, pedalling furiously away on his bike.

haha that's brilliant! One way to deal with it I guess. Trouble is, the ref doesn't get much for doing this and they take so much shit it's unreal!

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Didnt anyone play against Northeye open prison in the East Sussex League? They could be a bit nasty but it depended who was in there at the time. They were also very good when one of our lads broke his leg in a collision with their goalkeeper. The first aid provided was excellent.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
I've played a few games at prisons. The players have normally been no problem (any of them step out of line, they don't get to play in future games), but the spectators are a different matter!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Didnt anyone play against Northeye open prison in the East Sussex League? They could be a bit nasty but it depended who was in there at the time. They were also very good when one of our lads broke his leg in a collision with their goalkeeper. The first aid provided was excellent.

We had a ref with a tag(or whatever they're called) on his ankle.

I didn't argue ONE decision with him

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Was you playing with Darren Hamon? I am sure he was playing in this game..

Yes I was, he used to look after me, absoulte giant, I played right/Left back and he played centre back he would always be in for the big tackle.

Played with him at BN Wanderers as well.

jjt1976

Dec 29, 2009
i remember a sunday game on the pitch next to where our game was going on and a massive fight kicked off which ended up with corner flags being used as weapons and one guy getting knocked out by another guy ramming his head against the post, mental.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I played many years ago for Amer Athletic in Division 13 SSFL. Anyway, we were basically shitehouse and I played in goal behind two center halfs who didnt like to head the ball.

we played Ilex from Worthing and lost 17 - 1 and I had a blinder. I saved two penalties, tipped at leat 5 certain goals around posts and the bar and our midfield and forward line spent the whole f***ing game standing teapot fashion on the half way line whilst their players ran past them and bore down on my goal. After the game their manager came over and asked if I wanted to come and play for them....which I thought was really good of him.

We were seriously crap!

Oh yes and a game with James Lyttle estate Agents ( ???) where I walked off after 20 minutes after the ref had been attacked as all they wanted to do was fight with everyone.

Also the NSC friendlies with Millwall where I reffed were one of teh most unpleasant times I ever had at football

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Played on a Saturday afternoon for Rottingdean about 20 years ago, playing Barclays bank, right back decided to kick me just below the knee snapping my leg and pinging both cruiates, lucky was a cold November day, but still remember the sound of the snapping. Even the supporters said it sounded like a gun being fired off.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Having played amateur football from 15 - 48 then yes, seen plenty, including mass punch ups, another incident which led to someone going to prison, rasism (we walked off, before the guy concerned was subbed, and the game restarted) matches being abandoned because of snow etc...

One of the best was when Ford Prison used to have a team - they were actually allowed to play away games, but we had to buy their after match drinks as they had no money!

Apparantley George Best played for their team - unfortunately not when we played against them!

When playing for YM at Peacehaven one of our players suffered a really bad leg break - the bone was sticking through his sock - that's the worst injury I think I saw, although we had an air ambulance two years ago when someone got knocked out, and then starting fitting. (He's now playing again)

BHAFC_AMEX

Feb 5, 2011
Playing against our huge rivals (who we beat 6-0 the last time we ever played them!). Their player volleyed the ball from point blank range into the middle of my nose and it sort of exploded everywhere.

Also had a bad one in training where I took a shot and the muscle inbetween my hip and quad popped out of place.

A lot of our games got a bit heated (due to the opposition getting frustrated as we were a pretty decent team). Some people took it far to seriously.

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
Whilst at Uni we played Saturday football and natrually most teams f***ing despised you just for being a student - especially when we had the Army's Air assualt brigade in our league (went to Uni of Essex in Colchester so a garrison town)

Christ when you arrived on to the garrison, you only has to look at not only how fit these lads were, but the aggresion from them was astounding - i mean they were men designed to kill and they struggled to tone it down for saturday football. Not so much the tackling that you can cope with, but the afters and the off the ball stuff. Nutters the lot of them

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
During the warm up in Pitch Invasion last night I did about 5 keepy uppies and then volleyed the ball, as hard as I could, directly into my mates testicles. He was about 5 yards away. I thought he was going to be sick. He still hasn't forgiven me.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I played in the Bradford Sunday League for the University side. We didn’t even attempt to hide the fact we are from the uni either which wasn’t clever in some parts of Bradford. We went over to play in East Bowling (for any of you who may know it) and the first thing I heard was ‘Come’on lads, lets f*** these posh c*nts up’.

We started playing and were 1 nil down fairly quickly which started huge celebrations. I then won a penalty… and all hell broke lose! The play that fouled me was standing over me going mental. A player on my team got punched trying to drag him away. Everyone bundled in. There were about 100 people watching and they started coming on the pitch. A friend of mind got attacked by an Alsatian of one of the fans.

While all this was going on suddenly heard shouts from a big grass bank and people charging down the bank who began fighting on our side. It turns out they were from a rival estate and decided to watch the game.

It took 20 minutes to die down and by that time the ref had gone home.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I also once had a 22 man brawl against Huddersfield Uni playing for Bradford (a big rivalry), I ran the whole length of the pitch to get involved only for the fat ref to fall over and take me out just as I got there. All I did before it finished was help the ref to his feet..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here