Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Your All Time Test Cricket XI

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Being a know it all, I'm most affronted not to have been aware of that. I wonder when it was outlawed.
I can't remember exactly, but I think some time shortly after Roy Gilchrist was sent home from a West Indies tour of India in 1959 for bowling an "excessive" number of beamers in tests and tour games. He never played tests again, although that probably had more to do with the unconfirmed story that he pulled a knife on his captain when told to stop bowling them.

He's another one who rocked up in league cricket in Lancashire, which must have been fun for all concerned.

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
Amazed anyone who saw Boycott play would include him!

almost an impossible ask but here goes
Greenidge (that’s Gordon not Geoff)
B Richards
IVA Richards
Tendulkar
D Randall
IT Botham
APE Knott
SK Warne
Marshall
Hadlee
McGrath

OK Randall probably shouldn’t be there but he is my favourite cricketer of all time

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
I would put Gordon Greenidge , Desmond Haynes and Chris gale ahead of amiss.

ofcourse, Hutton, Hobbs etc are of a different age in that they didn’t carry the modern railway sleepers out to bat, and Compton was said the to be the most talented stroke player of his generation. Of course Graham Pollock, who I saw play against the Aussies in SA in the late 60’s and his brother Peter Pollock were a great miss to international cricket and excellent players.

wk is a subjective one too. Farouk engineer or Adam ghilchr are both worthy of the best IMHO.
Amiss faced a lot of good opening bowlers

The Windies boys not so much

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Amiss faced a lot of good opening bowlers

The Windies boys not so much
Well to be fair they took the brunt of Lillie and Thomson in their prime, as well as the Pakistani fast bowling attack. Yes they never played against Peter pollock and Mike proctor, apart from the ROW games. And of course bob willis and both am who were not too shabby.

of course we are not including bowlers like Harold larwood and Fred trueman who were regarded as dangerously quick

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
Well to be fair they took the brunt of Lillie and Thomson in their prime, as well as the Pakistani fast bowling attack. Yes they never played against Peter pollock and Mike proctor, apart from the ROW games. And of course bob willis and both am who were not too shabby.

of course we are not including bowlers like Harold larwood and Fred trueman who were regarded as dangerously quick
Willis wasn't in the same league as the Windies openers
Both wasn't really an opening bowler,very good at tiding up the the tail
Was tempted to put in Edrich
Remember him surviving the last session,I think at the Oval
With all the Windies fans invading the pitch and shaking his hand

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here